Antoinette 1908, scratchbuilt 1/72nd scale

Continuing with the trend of posting models of pioneer aircraft, this was one of my first scratchs, of twelve years ago,

The French Antoinette, designed by Leon Levavasseur, was one of the planes intending to cross the channel at the same time that Louis Bleriot was.
  If you look carefully at the shape of the fuselage you will notice that it resembles a boat or canoe, which speaks volumes about the confidence that pilot and designer had on the plane and its capacity to stay aloft and away from the waves.
  Nevertheless the Antoinette ended up being a very popular design of the incipient aviation era. The design had many variations in its life and apparently, according to photos of the time, you had to wear mustaches in order to fly it, most probably for aerodynamic reasons.

01.jpg

02.jpg

23.jpg

26.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

31.jpg

• Like 36

These really are superb models. Have you thought of posting them on ww1aircraftmodels.com website? There are many modellers there who would appreciate both your skill and the subject material.

The boat shape for the fuselage was frequently adopted by early designers - A. V. Roe used it on his triplane of 1910 and biplane of 1911. I do not know why but I suspect that it had to to with aerodynamics which are similar to hydrodynamics, and I asume that they regarded the fuselage as being similar to a ships hull.

P

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, pheonix said:

The boat shape for the fuselage was frequently adopted by early designers - A. V. Roe used it on his triplane of 1910 and biplane of 1911. I do not know why but I suspect that it had to to with aerodynamics which are similar to hydrodynamics, and I asume that they regarded the fuselage as being similar to a ships hull.

P

Water crafts were in some way the base for air crafts, and terminology, materials, techniques ans so forth were many times directly transferred from one to the other.