Tamiya 1/350th Bismark

kpnuts

Hi all I got this last Christmas and although I don't get much modelling time these days I wanted to start it but as always with a difference I want to depict her during the battle as she's sinking and at the bottom of the sea, all at the same time.

I realise she didn't break up and apart from 35 meters of the stern is still in one piece on the bottom.

She landed practically on top of an undersea volcano which erupted and she slid down the side as the volcano erupted leaving her laying level on the seabed with her stern mostly covered.

My problem is do I play with the historical facts and cut her into 3 sections to depict what I want or is there a way of depicting the whole thing whist keeping her whole.

• Like 1

Hi all well I think I'm just going to go with the wreck dio ( will need a fair bit of scratch building but I'm up for it) 

As an interesting angle on size and shape look at this.

33xx1g5.jpg

sg7nsh.jpg

She was a tad bigger than the KGV but almost identical in shape.

Anyway made a start on painting her

2rm03dd.jpg

4fzkmr.jpg

Not going to go overboard with the painting as most of it won't be seen.

I must say I'm going to really enjoy this as I love doing rusty things (for those who don't know me i love doing cars and motorcycles, which I usually do with a fair bit of ware and tear)

As per this example.

2dqmueu.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all well got the hull painted, as I said I'm not too worried about the accuracy of the painting as most of it won't be seen when it's on the sea bed and yes I know the stern painting is a bit off but since that will be sheared off in the dio it won't be a problem, also another size comparison against the Titanic (which incidentally seems to be exactly the same length of the KGV although she was much higher makes me wonder were battleships given a low profile to make them harder to be seen.

1433vva.jpg

2ui7pz9.jpg

a9wsab.jpg

• Like 3

Like your ambition for this project!

Can't see any easy way to do both aspects from one kit, she's resting upright on the sea bed. If she was on her side then possibly but....

Looking forward to seeing all the weathering go on, notebook at the ready for tips!

Geoff 

Hi all before risking the actual ship to my first attempts at an underwater dio I tried an experiment does this look convincing took me ages (well 15 mins) I'm quite happy with it.

I'm trying to get it to look like this

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Bismarck+Wreck+images&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=inv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiq66XgqK7dAhUqBsAKHYSJA_UQ_AUIESgB&biw=768&bih=1024#imgdii=AsOOKmDJJz7KHM:&imgrc=jjP8_UgTvFSHiM:

33auw7t.jpg

30tqk55.jpg

wv493m.jpg

I photographed the process encase anyone is interested.

Edited by kpnuts
  • Like 6

Hi all I had to drill out the lower deck to allow for the details I have to add as the turrets won't be there.

knqbk.jpg

And gave the decking it's first coat of paint

mkkchk.jpg

2ewd5sl.jpg

As you can see the traversing gear needs a bit of work 

• Like 4

Good start on the sea bed. The effects give a good impression of the sand and general gunk down there.

Are you going to be giving the display any special lighting? Just thinking that if you used a blue light source or maybe a blue/green source it could make a lot of your work easier?

Geoff

Hi all started on the base 

2drz7nn.jpg

wuq6b5.jpg

wk5nd5.jpg

I've tried to get the seabed undulations as like the photos as I can, still got some fine tweaking to do to it yet.

I've drawn some of the damage on the hull and decking I'm thinking of using a soldering iron to inflict it.

2ezsnti.jpg

k204dx.jpg

1267h4h.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all added some salt then a light grey wash to kill some of the colour, then knock some of the salt off add another thin sandy wash, knock some more salt off then a thin black wash. I feel it's getting there now.

et5fs6.jpg

2sb7vpy.jpg

34npsti.jpg

4gomk0.jpg

2bvgqu.jpg

4pum54.jpg

fbgo7d.jpg

• Like 5

Hi all can you guess what this will be.

2yx2fig.jpg

14lhkch.jpg

Started on a background 

v4awx3.jpg

Put a blue whale in it which I've drawn to scale just to show how big the wreck is, i realise it don't look that great but I'm going to put dirty blue wash over the background so that should make it fade out a bit.

zodg78.jpg

358yw4k.jpg

I'm really enjoying this build. Looking forward to my birthday and my next project (not a ship)

• Like 6

Hi all well I thought I could use this as the submersible used to light and film her, unfortunately it is totally out of scale so i will have to find something else, although I see that the effect will work quite well.

2iizwja.jpg

3341bpc.jpg

292y1kl.jpg

fwrjp4.jpg

b8n3py.jpg

• Like 5

Like the Blue Whale.

This is an interesting take on ship modelling, I like it - you often think "out of the box", certainly makes your threads worth following.

By the way, the Swastika (on a red band) at the bow of the ship was still there when she sank. Most historians now agree that it was painted over with Hull Grey, but is now partially exposed due to wear.

Google is your friend here, but be warned - some of the "discussions" get a bit heated and personal as "experts" have their knowledge challenged.