Haynes F-14 Tomcat 1970-2006

RJ-WobblyHands

Just picked this book up at 'The Works' its on offer for £6.00, seems good value - spent the afternoon reading it rather than modelling lol - and I don't yet had an F-14 of any scale / variant in my stash ........... yet

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Giorgio N said:

Interesting, I totally missed this. How does this compare to other titles on the Tomcat ? Living abroad I'd have to order one online, may just buy it because it's a book on the Tomcat but I'd like to be sure the content is worth the cost

It's good, probably not worth more than the £6 asked at The Works, depending on what other books you have and what info you want. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Parabat said:

It's good, probably not worth more than the £6 asked at The Works, depending on what other books you have and what info you want. 

Thanks, good to know !  A bit worried, if £6 is all the book is worth then maybe it's not such a good buy for me, as the cheapest I can find is around £20 delivered..

What other books I have I'd say almost all of them, so I can probably find any info on the other books I have. Still if the book includes decent pictures and has a good text I may consider this, if only to have a more complete collection of books on the type

On 06/09/2018 at 16:07, Giorgio N said:

Thanks, good to know !  A bit worried, if £6 is all the book is worth then maybe it's not such a good buy for me, as the cheapest I can find is around £20 delivered..

It’s marketed at £22.99 normally, but the Works tends to be a treasure trove for end of run delights. I’ve also got the Spitfire, Hurricane, Stuka, Eurofighter, Mossie and Blenheim Haynes manuals from the same place.

• Like 1

Thanks Charlie ! I popped into Liverpool's shop the last time I visited the UK, unfortunately they had none of the aviation related manuals but I bough the Chieftain title and found it very well done. Of course not knowing anything about the Chieftain my view of the book is not the most valid...

I may go for the £20 posted, at worst it would be another element in my collection of Tomcat books...

On 9/8/2018 at 12:37 AM, charlie_c67 said:

It’s marketed at £22.99 normally, but the Works tends to be a treasure trove for end of run delights. I’ve also got the Spitfire, Hurricane, Stuka, Eurofighter, Mossie and Blenheim Haynes manuals from the same place.

Read in the press a while back (so it might not be true) that The Works have now taken to ordering print runs of different books for distribution through their own stores rather than only buying up ends of line which might explain the number of different Haynes and '..... Boys' titles that they now offer , good for the buyer but would not think that it is so good in the long run for the publisher. 

Edited by Des
removed errant 's'
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Thanks Charlie ! I popped into Liverpool's shop the last time I visited the UK, unfortunately they had none of the aviation related manuals but I bough the Chieftain title and found it very well done. Of course not knowing anything about the Chieftain my view of the book is not the most valid...

I may go for the £20 posted, at worst it would be another element in my collection of Tomcat books...

You can order on-line and collect at store.

As I did for this title at my local TheWorks storw.

20 hours ago, Des said:

Read in the press a while back (so it might not be true) that The Works have now taken to ordering print runs of different books for distribution through their own stores rather than only buying up ends of line which might explain the number of different Haynes and '..... Boys' titles that they now offer , good for the buyer but would not think that it is so good in the long run for the publisher. 

And certain publishers now seem to be producing specifically for the remaindered/casual-purchase-in-garden-centre market.  The books might have a price printed on the dustjacket but you would be unlucky to pay, or even find it at, more than a third of that.  Sometimes it is painfully obvious from the quality of the text and/or photos and/or production values that the book has been designed down to a price.  (A particular nadir was a book called something like "Tirpitz: The Early Cruises", written by morons or maybe a bot and purporting to be the record of a prewar cruise by the Tirpitz: of course it was nothing of the kind, rather the photo-album of someone who had served on the Tirpitz containing pre-war shots of other Kriegsmarine warships.)  Less frequently you get good quality research at a knock-down price eg I've never paid full price for any in the "x Group Bomber Command: An Operational Record" series.

I've bought quite a few Haynes Manuals through our local "Works" shop - all for £6. The most recent was the Boeing 707 title. Their book on the Space Shuttle is one of the best ever on the technical aspects of the spacecraft. I found it very helpful when building my 1/144 Shuttle stack a few years ago.

Edited by Eric Mc