Otto Lilienthal Kleine Schlagflugelapparat 1893, DR Design 1/72 multimedia kit

I built this model some time ago, but the subject popped in conversation as the result of the posting yesterday of the scratchbuilt model of the Cayley Flying Carriage

Yet another multimedia kit from DR Design of Brazil, like the Clement Ader Avion III I just posted, with its pros and cons. Caveat Emptor.

I decent model can be made of it with patience and persistence.

16.jpg

18.jpg

21.jpg

• Like 22

Beautiful recreation of a true trailblazer!

I suppose it's a photo etched kit? Is the figure included in the kit as well? And what's the cover material?

Anyway, I think I'd be more tempted by a 1:48th or 1:32nd kit, being a bit lacking in the patience and persistence department…

Kind regards,

Joachim

1 hour ago, Spitfire31 said:

I suppose it's a photo etched kit? Is the figure included in the kit as well? And what's the cover material?

Anyway, I think I'd be more tempted by a 1:48th or 1:32nd kit, being a bit lacking in the patience and persistence department…

Kind regards,

Joachim

Hi Joachim

Yes, the DRDesign kits are mainly sturdy photoetcehd parts of varied quality, some resin parts that are of very poor quality (with missing bits, big bubbles and excrescences), and a covering material that looks like Japanese tissue paper, similar to the one used to cover small balsa free-flight models.

Cheers

P/S: 1/48 or 1/32? why put our incipient friendship at risk with the mention of those questionable scales? I will pretend I didn't read that 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Moa, a request please. Do you have a web address for dR Design? All my search attempts so far have led to logo designers, hairdressers and graphic artists so if really like to find the makers of these kits - and a European supplier, ideally!

Thanks,

Brian

43 minutes ago, bhouse said:

Moa, a request please. Do you have a web address for dR Design? All my search attempts so far have led to logo designers, hairdressers and graphic artists so if really like to find the makers of these kits - and a European supplier, ideally!

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian

I have no relation with them in anyway. They seemed to have been active circa 2005. These, as I wrote, were kits a friend bought time ago and I built for him.

I don't believe they are in business anymore.

I can read a website of the store that sold them in Brazil here on the side label.

They are a mail order store located (for what I can surmise) in Rio de Janeiro.

I tried the web address and the store is still there, but the only products of this manufacturer they sell now are big scale unrelated P.E. frets (which is wise, since their small scale items were not up to good standards).

My guess is that these kits are not available anymore, anywhere.

Their subjects were interesting, and it is brave of them to produce a kit line from South America, with the limitations of the case, but their technical side was a bit lacking.

Who knows, may be a Brazilian BM member would chip in with some current info?

03.jpg

In any case, I repeat, there are certain issues with them:

03.jpg

06.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

14b+001.jpg

14b+002.jpg

And so on so forth.

Challenging, is the word.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bhouse said:

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian

A potential different source in Britain, of all places: "Aircraft in Miniature" (AIM) (again, I have nothing to do with them).

I understand Hannants sells some of their products.

http://www.aim72.co.uk/page3.html

I have never built them,  and a quick glance appears to me as with a not very encouraging price tag (to say the least) and with some engineering solutions that look odd or not practical.

(personal bias and not based on direct experience with their products).

But again, enticing and unusual subjects and very commendable effort that no mainstream manufacturer likely will ever touch (surprising, given the fact of the stir they invariably cause when posted anywhere).

Pyro (a prehistoric brand with noticeable shortcoming of their own) had a line of pioneers too.

I built one of those (the memory still haunts me), will post soon.

Edited by Moa
  • Thanks 1