Tiger I "Winter Camo" - AFV 1/48

Crowbar

This is the latest model I put together, mostly to try a couple of techniques. This is the first time I do a winter 'camo', first time I used chipping techniques (Mig products) extensively, first time used 'mud' products (Vallejo) and not the first time I went crazy with pigments (Vallejo). A bit heavy-handed on some of the dark-iron chipping. Also, the white paint chipping did not turn out very 'flaky', due to a more 'elastic' behaviour of the top coat. Will try other brands in the future. The build is based on a M. Jimenez's tutorial. 

44380003922_e42818d86e_z.jpg

44380003152_c4e0afe830_z.jpg

44380002442_4571b60744_z.jpg

44380000692_7fec9dd8d3_z.jpg

43712305004_294c7ec46d_z.jpg

44379999322_43ce5949af_z.jpg

44379993292_4a431db968_z.jpg

42620342100_4f8d310673_z.jpg

Edited by Crowbar
  • Like 20

Winter camo.... the scariest camo of them all.

And for a first attempt you've carried it off most excellently!

I'm not sure what issue you have with the chipping fluid. Are you thinking that the 'chips' are too big, or are you wanting the whitewash to flake and 'lift' away from the model?

The mud effects aren't over the top if you ask me.  A 50+ ton tank is going to get 'a lot dirty' in the mud, especially if it's wet and mushy with snow!

Rearguards,

Badder

Thank you all for the kind words.

@Badder - do not get me wrong, I am quite happy with the result. The chipping fluid (Ammo, in case one wonders) worked like a charm. The issue was the white top coat which turned out to be more elastic once wet. The difference was that the colour peeled off in larger chunks, instead of breaking - if that makes sense. First time I am doing this so I am not 100% if that is normal behaviour. Most tutorials seem to result in a 'flakier' effect.

I think if I tried a Tamiya top coat, instead of the Vallejo acrylic I ended up using, the colour would exhibit the behaviour I expected. Still, not sure how these top coats dissolved in reality, as if I am not mistaken they where water-based.

What I ended up doing was to add a few streaks with white oil, as if the white paint kinda dripped.

On the other hand I feel the mud effects are a tad conservative, especially at the front of the tank.

As this was a test-project I must admit I am not at all fussed with all of the above, simply because it took ages to complete. If I had not completed it, I would not have the faintest idea how to do the camo!