Focke Wulf Fw190 D9 JV44

IMG_20180902_170341

My next build is Tamyia's 1:72 Focke Wulf Fw190 D9 JV44. This is part of Tamyia's warbird collection, and a kit I picked up in the sale at a fantastic toy and model shop on my holidays. 

IMG_20180902_170326

The box contains one grey sprue, with a little detail, a pilot, and a small clear sprue. There are also 2 decal sheets, one mostly consisting of the white stripes for the distinctive underside of the aircraft. 

IMG_20180902_170332IMG_20180902_170336

I plan to build this straight from the box, although I plan to paint the markings on the underside rather than use the decals (keeping my fingers crossed here🤞). I am opting for the Red 3 colour scheme (makes me think of the Red Arrows), as flown by Hptm.Waldemar Wubke. Time for a quick sprue wash, and the fun can begin!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Only done a little bit of work as I'm having difficulty matching my paints to those suggested by Tamyia. However I have fixed both halves of the wings together (she seems small!), And painted my German pilot.

IMG_20180905_074819

IMG_20180905_074827

More to come later.........fingers crossed.

• Like 3

So today, thanks to my other half these arrived.........

2018-09-05_10-36-05

and my troubles and deliberations are over! Cracking on with the build I airbrushed the fuselage interior using Vallejo RLM 66, applied the decal to the instrument panel and seat, and added some detailing to the interior of the cockpit. Needless to say Tonight I'm a happy bunny.

• Like 6

I´ll be following this build to see how it goes, I´ve always liked the JV 44 "Papagei Staffel" and their bright colours.

Plus, I want to see how much contrast there is betwen RLM 82 and 83.

• Like 1

That's an interesting scheme - someone wanted to stand out!

May is suggest painting the underside white, masking the stripes and then overspraying with the red. The red is probably RLM23.

Aren't the Warbirds series the ones that aren't actually Tamiya, but have been rebadged?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

May is suggest painting the underside white, masking the stripes and then overspraying with the red. The red is probably RLM23.

Aren't the Warbirds series the ones that aren't actually Tamiya, but have been rebadged?

Hi Bigdave22014,

It was the scheme that caught my eye in the shop.......I like a challenge and I thought it would test me. I have been toying with the idea of painting it white, masking and painting red over the top. This I thought the best as white is easier to cover than red. I didn't realise it was a rebox..... although it doesn't surprise me. It all looks very simple and minimal, so I'm guessing the paintwork will be it's shining moment, or downfall!

Thanks,

Michelle.

Since my last post I have built the cockpit, this was very fiddly as it's a tight squeeze fitting the seat, instrument panel and control column in. With a little jiggling and a pair of tweezers I managed to get it in place. Once this was dry I dry fitted the cockpit into the fuselage and joined both halves together. Surprisingly they went together well, so I got out the cement and set to work. Today (having left it to set overnight) I am pretty pleased with the results.

IMG_20180907_183757

IMG_20180907_183805IMG_20180907_183810

• Like 5

On 9/6/2018 at 8:04 AM, Bigdave22014 said:

Quick search result is this is a 1995 rebox of a 1989 tool Italeri kit

• Like 3

The build is really coming together now, I attached the tail plane yesterday (I am uncertain as to why there are 2 holes either side of the tail plane......answers on a postcard please!). I then fixed the fuselage to the wings, be warned if you attempt this kit, you have to jiggle the fuselage a little to make sure there is no gap along the leading edge of the wing. 

IMG_20180908_121055

That said it fits well, with little work. I also added the engine cover on the nose, this I feel has given her a rather distinctive look.

IMG_20180908_121049

More to come later folks.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

You're turning into a female @CedB with your work rate, but do you hang them from the ceiling?

Great stuff!

Ian

At present I am storing them in my display cabinet.......

DSC_2916

but I'm running out of room rapidly, so may resort to hanging them from the ceiling very soon! Its a pleasure to be likened to Ced, thank you.

Michelle

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

I am uncertain as to why there are 2 holes either side of the tail plane...

I believe they’re for maintenance/zeroing the weapons on the aircraft? Mechanics could run a metal bar through the holes then chain it and lift the tail up via a hoist to a flying attitude. This would allow acces to the tail wheel and for zeroing the guns to converge at the same point. Like this photo, there are stands to either side of the fuselage holding up the bar as the tail wheel is being serviced. 1W22iKq.jpg

Most tail draggers had a similar arrangement. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Progress update for today:

I have airbrushed and secured in place the area behind the cockpit, and fixed the cowling in place on the nose. 

IMG_20180909_194411

I then began a little sanding of the seams (my least favourite job!). Using a small jewellery file, before gently sanding it smooth with sending sticks.....so far so good.

IMG_20180909_194419

Once I was happy with the look of my seams, I gave the build a quick blast of primer. This is usually the moment I realise my sanding isn't quite as good as I'd hoped, although this time I was pleasantly surprised as the seam had vanished. So it was time for the colour process to begin, I asked up the aircraft and prepared to airbrush the white underside.

IMG_20180913_213147

I am using Vallejo white, which mixed and sprayed with its usual ease. One light coat down, I will give her another once it has dried.

IMG_20180913_213810

• Like 5

With the white underside dry, I masked the wings and began painting the fuselage. Firstly laying down several light coats of the Sky (or Vallejo Grey blue) before blending the Light blue nose into the fuselage, it's subtle but nice, I do love Luftwaffe colour schemes.

IMG_20180917_074426

IMG_20180917_074434

• Like 3

With the Vallejo light green dry last night I began work on the Dark green sections. For this I used Vallejo dark green from the Luftwaffe colours set, this however is lighter than the light green! Undeterred, I continued and used it to airbrush the camo pattern. Looking at the other colours in the set I discovered RLM74 (Grey Green) is a better match and far darker. So this evening I have gone over the Dark green sections and am now happier with the contrast.

IMG_20180920_170915

IMG_20180920_170908

Not the best photos, it's a strange light tonight. Anyway, my next plan is to mask the stripes and tackle the red underside 😬. That's all for now.

• Like 5

Last night I painstakingly masked the stripes on the underside of the aircraft, this proved extremely fiddly but will be worth it as the decals look equally as fiddly to apply. 

2018-09-22_11-40-55

I have burnished them firmly into place so fingers crossed there won't be any bleeding. A stiff drink 😂 and I will begin airbrushing the Vallejo red. 

• Like 2