Směr 1/48 Macchi Castoldi MC 72

Hello everyone, 

I want to share my initial work on the new kit I am working on, the Směr 1/48 Macchi Castoldi MC 72.

I really appreciate all the energy and encouragement you guys game me on my last kit, so here it is to you. 

Edited by Never a Pro
  • Like 4

Hi everyone. Here is the Part 2 of my Macchi MC 72 video. 

Things I really liked: 

- radiator wires look cool, hopefully will look cooler with paint

- finding a way to engrave the pontoon circles

- I am getting better at putty (not sure if the ribbons will like priming)

Things I didn't like: 

- radiator wires could be better, they are not symmetrical

- I should have probably search for a thinner mesh, the whole thinning the wing wasn't enough

- Pontoon structs are weak, they will give me headaches

Any comments are welcome. Thank you guys for watching and for all the feedback.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DMC said:

I’ve enjoyed your first two, very well done, videos and am looking forward to the third one.  Clever use of the wire tape(?) for the radiators. 

Dennis

Well, it should be thinner, too much work thinning the wings... maybe lining up copper wires would work, but it has to be someone else to try out...

4 hours ago, Never a Pro said:

Hi guys, I need your help here.

Can you estimate what are the colors of Agello's clothes...

97.jpg

... and for his crew? Thanks.

62.jpg

Your choice, actually, no one left around to contradict you.  However, I’d guess brown for the jacket and uniform blue for his trousers.  His crew? Perhaps colours to go with whatever you’re planning.

Good shot of the M.71.

Dennis

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Your choice, actually, no one left around to contradict you.  However, I’d guess brown for the jacket and uniform blue for his trousers.  His crew? Perhaps colours to go with whatever you’re planning.

Good shot of the M.71.

Dennis

And I guess yellow vest. I can work with that.

12 minutes ago, Shalako said:

@Never a Pro - May I ask what camera and software you're using to record and edit your videos? I would like at some point, to start recording my model builds.

Cheers

Shalako

Just an iPhone and iMovie, Shalako

Awesome work :yes:

Quite why these Schneider Trophy aircraft aren't offered by mainstream kit manufactures is beyond me, these were cutting edge and gave rise to technology that went on to be used in now classic fighters of WW2.   The competition it's self was as popular as F1 is today a part of what I think is the golden age of aviation.  

11 hours ago, Kev The Modeller said:

Awesome work :yes:

Quite why these Schneider Trophy aircraft aren't offered by mainstream kit manufactures is beyond me, these were cutting edge and gave rise to technology that went on to be used in now classic fighters of WW2.   The competition it's self was as popular as F1 is today a part of what I think is the golden age of aviation.  

Agree, and this Macchi is just beautiful. I was also searching for a DH88, which is also so beautiful, but notng exists in plastic at 1:48.

Hi guys. Finally I had a weekend where I could spend a lot of time masking and painting.

First, the vallejo black primer. I found it very sticky and thick, and I hated how it added thickness to the surface. 

I ended up removing it with alcohol and water, as I was afraid it will not give a smooth surface for the red.  

M5o4cYKl.jpg%20

Here it is with Gold Leaf (Tamiya) and Aluminium (Vallejo), I really love the metal look in the prop.

u0oOJPWl.jpg%20

bEKg3Hrl.jpg%20

I guess it will take a lot of layers to disguise the black primer leftovers, so I will continue tomorrow.

6dL4r1ll.jpg%20

Anyone experienced with vallejo black primers, what did I do wrong? Bad mixture? I didn't thin it.

• Like 3

I finally finished the Macchi, I feel 50kg lighter!

Thank you all for all the messages and feedback!

This was a ton of work, it is fun to scratch build and a lot of them went good, some went bad, but honestly, I wouldn't trade a good Tamiya kit for this. Too much work, but I admit, it was a rewarding experience.

Here are some pictures and videos. Any questions, feel free to ask.

vChp72jl.jpg

p4lNjXAl.jpg%20

fHpsYYvl.jpg%20

2orAnINl.jpg%20

• Like 5

On 9/24/2018 at 4:41 AM, Never a Pro said:

Anyone experienced with vallejo black primers, what did I do wrong? Bad mixture? I didn't thin it.

Don't use them (my opinion).  I tried AK's primer, that stuff is thick and horrible, I had lots of trouble.  I use Tamiya XF-19 thinned with general purpose thinners.

Wonderful build by the way.

Stephen

• Like 1

On 9/2/2018 at 5:37 PM, Courageous said:

Not my scale but the subject is one I want to do in 1/72.

A very impressive start.

Stuart

Hear hear. I'd love to have a collection of 1/72 inter-wars racers - so far I've got the Airfix DH88 (oh god what a dog of a kit) and the Frog S6B (ancient but a lot better than the Airfix). The Italians are even better looking IMO

19 hours ago, Col. said:

Wow! That's a great looking model of a great looking aircraft. You've done this one justice.

I really appreciate it. While it’s not by all means impeccable, at least I hope I laid some groundwork so that someone can finally nail it.

18 hours ago, StephenCJ said:

Don't use them (my opinion).  I tried AK's primer, that stuff is thick and horrible, I had lots of trouble.  I use Tamiya XF-19 thinned with general purpose thinners.

Wonderful build by the way.

Stephen

So I am not the only one, good to know.

I will still try again in some spare parts with a nice shake and thinned. The texture it leaves sounds great for tanks, but useless for planes.

17 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Hear hear. I'd love to have a collection of 1/72 inter-wars racers - so far I've got the Airfix DH88 (oh god what a dog of a kit) and the Frog S6B (ancient but a lot better than the Airfix). The Italians are even better looking IMO

Hawker Fury... such beautiful lines

On September 24, 2018 at 2:41 AM, Never a Pro said:

Hi guys. Finally I had a weekend where I could spend a lot of time masking and painting.

First, the vallejo black primer. I found it very sticky and thick, and I hated how it added thickness to the surface. 

I ended up removing it with alcohol and water, as I was afraid it will not give a smooth surface for the red.  

Here it is with Gold Leaf (Tamiya) and Aluminium (Vallejo), I really love the metal look in the prop.

I guess it will take a lot of layers to disguise the black primer leftovers, so I will continue tomorrow.

Hi Never a Pro, I'm just starting out with acrylics but have gone from hating them to acceptance of most of the newer brands. 

That black primer. I mix it at least 1:1 with Vallejo thinner, not my favorite base coat. I have yet to try with flow aid. 

Nice work on the metal colours.

G