Sir George Cayley's Flying Carriage, 1853 , scratch 1/72nd

9 hours ago, Andwil said:

That is absolutely brilliant!  I love the figurehead.  What did you use for the wing covering?

AW

It is called PolyShrink, a translucent plastic sheet of 10mil that it is used for some crafts.

I have used it extensively to represent surfaces on pioneer aircraft models.

Cheers

Edited by Moa
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, bhouse said:

This is superb: a whole undiscovered modelling genre.

Have you had a look at some of Clement Ader's early designs? Rather later than Cayley but truly inventive...

Brian

Hi Brian

I have. I will post one Ader design today, also as a RFI, in a little while 😉

Edited by Moa
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Superb model that really does put the later development of heavier than air flying in perspective.

My personal favourite of the early pioneers is Otto Lilienthal, who (43 years after Sir George Cayley) might have become the first to pilot a powered aeroplane, had he not crashed in his glider in 1896 and broken his back. Allegedly, his last words were: 'Sacrifices must be made'.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Hi Joachim

Thanks for your kind words.

Will post a Lilienthal model later today as  RFI.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr T said:

Brilliant model of a largely forgotten pioneer of flying, who made the first successful man carrying glider and established some of the basic principles of flight. The fact that is less well known is surprising, given that he was a Yorkshireman. 

Mr T living in Yorkshire and married to a Yorkshire lass.

I remember, Mr. T

You may also remember that I am too married to a Yorkshire lass, and that's why I joined BM, to give it my best as a gesture of gratitude  😉

Edited by Moa
  • Like 1

You really do some cracking modelling that is a pleasure to look at and read about. I think being married to a Yorkshire lass must keep you on your toes, it does me!

I was born in Nottingham and so living up here I have to bear my in built handicap with good grace😉

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mr T said:

Brilliant model of a largely forgotten pioneer of flying, who made the first successful man carrying glider and established some of the basic principles of flight. The fact that is less well known is surprising, given that he was a Yorkshireman. 

Mr T living in Yorkshire and married to a Yorkshire lass.

Indeed.  After listening to the test match today on the radio, or more specifically Geoffrey Boycott's assessment of developments, it's not like a Yorkshireman to shy away from his achievements.  I can say that with impunity coz I was born in Leeds General. 

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

You really do some cracking modelling that is a pleasure to look at and read about. I think being married to a Yorkshire lass must keep you on your toes, it does me!

I was born in Nottingham and so living up here I have to bear my in built handicap with good grace😉

:cwl:

In my case she is the one that has to endure the ordeal.

But she does it stoically and graciously too 😉

• Like 1

On 9/2/2018 at 7:51 AM, Moa said:

Reputedly yes, scaring the wits out of his poor coachman (that piloted it).

Accounts diverge, but it actually flew in a somewhat controlled glide for some distance.

Apparently he handed in his notice immediately after landing

• Haha 1

Cayley deserves to be better known, on par or better than that French upstart Brunel. Cayley also deserves to be honoured by all cyclists as he invented the tensioned wire spoked wheel to keep the weight down on his Aerial Carriage. That’s right, all bicycles have aircraft wheels.

• Like 1

I knew about this machine and the poor coachman but have never seen a model like this. A true pioneer of flight, I think that if the internal combustion engine had been invented Cayley would have build a true powered flying machine and would have been among the first to make powered flight. Brilliant model - sorry but I am running out of superlatives.

P

• Thanks 1