Sir George Cayley's Flying Carriage, 1853 , scratch 1/72nd

Here is Sir George’s flying carriage in all its kite-looking beauty.

I made this model some time ago, but thought of posting now here for the fellow BModelers.

I followed neither the “flying” replicas nor the modern renditions but the original Cayley’s drawings. In his description he states that wire or rope may be used for the rigging, so I used “rope”, more accordingly to contemporary ballooning and nautical practices. In his drawings the fore mast does not protrude above the sail, and so it was depicted here too.

The sight of such aviation dawn designs is refreshing and helps us understand and appreciate the hard labor, keen minds and ingenuity of the aviation pioneers.

31a.jpg

31b.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

38.jpg

42.jpg

45.jpg

49.jpg

08.jpg

12.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

29.jpg

Edited by Moa
  • Like 43
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dazey said:

A great project very well done by scratch-building. Thanks for sharing.

Do you mind me asking how you did the wood finish?

Regards,

David

Hi David

Thanks for your kind words.

Sure:

A very light wood color (almost skin color) acrylic base, and then a few shades of oil paint stretched along with an old brush. You make a mistake, you just rub it off.

Finished later with a clear varnish.

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting and well done! I hav not heard about him, in Poland more popular are German and French pioneers (and few Polish), what is not good I am affraid.

Cheers

J-W

• Thanks 1

What a terrific model.  A really interesting project beautifully rendered.  It looks like you should go in for model boat building as well.  The pioneers of aviation are somewhat neglected in modelling terms so it makes a very pleasant change to see one of these contraptions.  

• Like 1

Brilliant model of a largely forgotten pioneer of flying, who made the first successful man carrying glider and established some of the basic principles of flight. The fact that is less well known is surprising, given that he was a Yorkshireman. 

Mr T living in Yorkshire and married to a Yorkshire lass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Moa said:

Hi David

Thanks for your kind words.

Sure:

A very light wood color (almost skin color) acrylic base, and then a few shades of oil paint stretched along with an old brush. You make a mistake, you just rub it off.

Finished later with a clear varnish.

Cheers

Hi Moa,

Thanks for the information. I have oil paints for washes, so it should be easy to experiment with different colours.

Regards,

David

• Thanks 1

Superb model that really does put the later development of heavier than air flying in perspective.

My personal favourite of the early pioneers is Otto Lilienthal, who (43 years after Sir George Cayley) might have become the first to pilot a powered aeroplane, had he not crashed in his glider in 1896 and broken his back. Allegedly, his last words were: 'Sacrifices must be made'.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, invidia said:

Fantastic looking model, interesting subject. Did it fly??  

Isn't this the machine flown a good few years ago by Derek Piggot at (I believe) Lasham?  He did say never again!

Skip

• Like 1