Hunter FGA.9 54 Sqn

This month's modelling has centred around an original FROG issue in a rather brittle dark blue plastic.

wp7a888aec_06.jpg

Its an easy and enjoyable build, ideal for a bit of quick stress reducing modelling.  I added a (slightly) more realistic ejector seat, but otherwise, this is what comes in the box.  Whilst it falls well short of the Revell 1/72nd kits, it compares very well with the Airfix equivalent, and of the two I definitely prefer this one.

wp7bcc309f_06.jpg

The only difficult part of the build was the wing to fuselage joint on either side, which is a little vague and tends toward some totally inappropriate dihedral if left to its own devices.  This needed a little filler once I had finished with it, but not a major problem.

wpf829dafb_06.jpg

I suspect the canopy on this kit is a little too prominent (although it is an almost exact match for the one supplied with the Matchbox kit!).

Sitting it beside the Airfix kit makes the latter look too flat, so perhaps the correct shape lies somewhere in between.

wp3c44703f_05_06.jpg

wp304a34ae_06.jpg

The original FROG Decals (now at least 42 year sold) worked perfectly, as expected.

And for comparison, here she is with the rest of my Hunter fleet - Matchbox 2-seaters and Airfix single seaters (one with Matchbox decals)

wp98c45535_05_06.jpg

FredT :)

Edited by gengriz
restoring lost pictures
  • Like 42

A great looking Hunter.  Nice, colourful 54 Sqn markings.  I'm amazed how well the decals look for thier age.  A nice collection too.  I particularly like the T.8M.  I also like how you've given the earlier scheme a glossier finish than the later 58 Sqn machine, as seems to be the case in reality.  I've never built the Frog kit, although I've constructed a few Airfix and Matchbox ones, and I have to say yours looks great so might pick up a couple at some stage.  After all, you can't have too many Hunters in your collection. 

• Like 1

Nice build, the dark blue plastic Frog used towards the end I thought never did the kits any favours as it made them look a bit chunky, which was the case in some instances, but not always. 

Nice Hunter and great collection of one of the best of Britain's jet fighters. The only thing that you could have done to make it look better: using the Swiss decals ;-). Sorry, couldn't resist- and yes I am Swiss 😉

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by WildeSau75
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's a wonderful Hunter build and all the better seeing it was built from the old Frog kit. Very well done. 

Now Pat @JOCKNEY is looking for four additional modellers to register their interest to get the Frog tribute GB to the voting stage. With Frog kit building modelling skills like this, it would be a shame if you were not involved. No pressure of course, but should you be semi interested then here's a quick link.

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That's a wonderful Hunter build and all the better seeing it was built from the old Frog kit. Very well done. 

Now Pat @JOCKNEY is looking for four additional modellers to register their interest to get the Frog tribute GB to the voting stage. With Frog kit building modelling skills like this, it would be a shame if you were not involved. No pressure of course, but should you be semi interested then here's a quick link.

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave

Thanks for the plug Dave

Link below, no excuses for not being able to find it !

Seriously it would be great to see some of the FROG jets like the Hunter, Javelin, Canberra, etc getting built.

You are very welcome to join us.

cheers Pat 

14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks for the plug Dave

Seriously it would be great to see some of the FROG jets like the Hunter, Javelin, Canberra, etc getting built.

cheers Pat 

I'm just finishing off something different that has taken a lot of work, but I definitely feel a Canberra coming on next.

It will depend where in the stash it has been stored; I'm still a little limited by my broken leg, and one of the things I don't dare do yet is climb a ladder! 

Alternatively, there is an Avenger looking sadly at me from a shelf in the garage and a dirty bag of Martin Maryland bits that need building. 

FredT :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks for the plug Dave

cheers Pat 

HERE HERE ;)

• Haha 1