Pup Cowling

goon

Hi All,

A quick question about the Pup cowling if someone could answer. I'd like to display some more engine details, so I'm wondering how the bottom quarter of the cowling ring comes off. I assume it does so for maintenance to the engine, but does it leave the inner ring on the face of the cowl in place? Do I just cut along the panel lines, or do I have to leave the inner ring behind? 

Many thanks for any help,

Gareth

Nope, they are generally spun ali, and there may be a cut out below, for exhaust and priming, but they are one piece. You could display with all of it off, resting next to the airplane. It is usually kept in place with a cable set into a groove around the back edge

Hi Melvyn,

Thanks for the reply. Is the WNW cowling wrong then? There's a definite panel line and rivets / screws on one side, suggesting two separate pieces.

Gareth

Studying a number of photos of Pups there is actually a wide variety of designs to them and so I think it would depend entirely on reference photos of the particular machine you are modelling. I think much investigation would need to be carried out if you want real spot on accuracy. The Wingnuts Website has some excellent photos, including one of Pups in the factory with the cowl fitted and no engine etc. inside and you can see what appear to be projecting brackets fixing the cowl to the fuselage on the inside. If you want to do a Sopwith Pup with a twist you could do the Pup 'Betty' of Kermit Weeks after she shed her cowl in flight. If you look up the YouTube video you get to see what the inside of the cowl (albeit twisted all out of shape) looks.

• 1 month later...

Hi Pete,

Thanks for passing on this information. I've almost finished the Pup with the kit cowling but I'll look up Brian's work for future projects.

Cheers,

Gareth