FW 190 A8/R2 1:72

I started with the cockpit assembly. Even though I said it's going to be my first airbrushed model, the cockpit is still brushpainted since I had some leftover humbrol rlm 66 acrylic paint left from my previous He111 build. The kit is extremely clean-cut so after i painted the pilots seat it was quite difficult to put it in the cockpit and it ended up slightly crooked to the left side. I should have assembled the whole cockpit first and only then paint it. After the assembly I did light drybrushing with revell aqua alluminium. Now is the time for washes.

YCSU1VS.jpg

R8kfb7A.jpg

Edited by plantaznik
  • Like 2

Here is the result after washes. I used black oil paint for this purpose. Weathering techniques in general is a field where I have the least experience. I usually overdo it. I am also aware that the seatbelts should be more adhering/copying the shape of the seat. Unfortunately I tried to shape them after they were glued and they snaped so i had to re-do it and I didn't dare to shape them anymore to prevent any further snaping.7W1oVK4.jpgMnUR37w.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 02/09/2018 at 00:35, Mitch K said:

Watching this with interest as I'm going to build one or two of these.

It is a great kit. Little bit more complex than usuall 1/72 scale kit, but if you dry fit everything, there should be no problem.

On 01/09/2018 at 21:03, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

This is a pretty good kit i built one about a year ago and was satisfied with the entire project. 

Dennis

It is a really good kit so far indeed.

• Like 1

So, after I let the oil washes dry properly I wanted to coat the whole cockpit with semi-gloss clear varnish. For this purpose I wanted to try acrylic clear varnish by Humbrol. Unfortunately this product made white spots all over the cockpit and engine, even though I mixed it properly. I tried to put it on a spare mig15 wing after that and it did the same thing. After this unfortunate disaster I had to fix the spots with another layer of paint. Luckilly I think that I quite managed to fix it and still might let the cockpit open, once the model is finished.

WUqtRZe.jpg

Here you can see the white spots after the Humbrol Semi-Gloss Acrylic Clear varnish, so after that it went to the bin. Btw, can anyone recommend some foolproof gloss and flat acrylic varnish? Even better if suitable for airbrush.

After that I assembled the fuselage halves together. There was a little bit of sanding needed on the area of PE side control panels. The assembly is little bit too complex for my taste however if you dry fit everything after every single step, there should be no problem, the fit is perfect and there was no filler needed yet.

GC1F0yL.jpg

0oncGeO.jpg

1YkUkFn.jpg

fgygzXy.jpg2dAlL2r.jpg06SJR7i.jpg

Notice, that since it's the A8/R2 version, there are no machine guns in the fuselage. Some of the R2s had the holes covered with special cowling part, some were left with open holes, such as this one. I chose this option since I'm going to build the von Kornatzki's Grün 3 which had the holes open.

70112-05.jpg

Edited by plantaznik

I like the profile you are going with. For the Flat coat I just used Tamiya XF-86 flat clear. I mixed it 50/50 with Tamiya X-20A thinner. I then very lightly dusted 3 coats on with my iwata, and I do mean dust. Supposedly if the flat pools at all the white spots appear, this is from what i have read. I can say im happy but its up to you. The 3 coats gave me a satin finish, if i did more i would get a truly flat finish. You can check out my use in both of these builds. They will be the last post from me in each build. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235041797-“run-rabbit-run-”/

And this one:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235041799-“4-f”-a-war-weary-t-bolt/

Hope that helps you ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Here is some progress: I assembled the wheel well. This part was quite tricky due to some pieces not aligning properly. Sanding was needed with the central part under the wheel well to let the well sit properly on the wings. The whole well is from 10 parts (wings not included) so the building process is quite complex for a 72nd scale model. The tolerance is almost nonexistent so assemble everything BEFORE painting! The detail is amazing though!

f2hFj54.jpg

Then I glued the upper part of wings on the already assembled lower part. The next step was to get the wings together with the fuselage. I also glued on the windshield cover. I carefully applied basic Revell Contacta with help of a toothpick to avoid pooling. Luckily, there was no fogging on the clear part.

DFFc3r0.jpg

And now it finally looks like a Focke Wulf! :D

iRWbCap.jpg

cvQssld.jpg

YPftlDm.jpg

3sQO3ak.jpg

lecqo8m.jpg

Unfortunately, I got a gap at wing roots, especially on the starboard side. The gap is cca 0,5 mm wide, it's really tiny.

HhapoMx.jpg

The view from the wheel well shows it better.

uzDHw0k.jpg

kGaOrz7.jpg

Port side looks better but the gap is still there, especially next to the flaps area 😕

Now I am not sure about the next step. I am afraid to use ordinary putty, since I am afraid that I'll destroy the surface detail. Does anybody know if it can be fixed only with a coat of Mr.Surfacer (1200, spraycan)??

At least the generall geometry of wings is correct :)

fMT9mJL.jpg

Edited by plantaznik
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, plantaznik said:

Now I am not sure about the next step. I am afraid to use ordinary putty, since I am afraid that I'll destroy the surface detail. 

You can use fine plastic strip and Tamiya extra thin to fill the gap. If you dont have fine strip try stretched sprue ? Also sprue goo should work ? Then use Mr surfacer to fill whatever's left? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

21 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

try using pva or super glue as filler, quite effective for small gaps

that sounds interresting. i guess it should be easier, as both substances will flow better than putty and i need to fill gap between two sides? i'll try it on an old model first. thanks for the tip

Edited by plantaznik

Kneadtite green stuff, as used by figure modellers, is great on gaps like that. Work it in as a thin bead with a spatula, then scrape and buff it back with wet tools before it dries. No sanding, no damage to surface detail.

• Like 1

Alright, quick update!

First of all, thank you all for advices and comments 👍 In the end I used ordinary revell putty to fill the wing root gaps. I did put masking tape around the gaps and used really small amount of the putty, then applied it with a pointy toothpick straight into the gap, while scraping the excess immediately to avoid surface detail destruction. Now that the surfacer is on (had a minor pooling accident on the engine cowling, however it levelled out without a problem and it's not visible at all! all the rivets and detail is still visible :banghead:), the model is ready for painting. As I said in the intro, this is going to be my first time with airbush, therefore I took old P-47 kit, covered it with surfacer too, and I am going to practice with it before I'll move on to the butcher bird. So have some patience please. In the meantime, I should also finish He 111 P2 which is currently on my bench (have to finish oil washes and weathering, with final touches), so you can look forward to that one too if you happen to be interrested :jabber:

3aSu2U2.jpg

OolFHvu.jpg8dQ5Mq6.jpgWRsZeFO.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I'm coming back from the dead! 😃 Unfortunately I didn't have much time for scale modelling in past year. I only managed to do one session almost year ago. I finally tried to do something with my airbrush so I decided to try preshading technique. With use of Tamiya acrylic paint and original X20A thinner. However I wasn't happy with the result, I couldn't get the paint mixed properly, together with the correct air pressure. Therefore it was spitting around in rough splatters and I also suffered a lot from a dry tip. Here are some pictures.  I was also nervous and excited since it was my first time with airbrush so the lines are not only rough and wide but also crooked as hell 🙄

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So, to get the hang of the airbrush a little bit more, I decided to try it on a cheaper kit first and then to come backt to this one. For this task I chose a Hurricane Mk. I. by Airfix in 72nd scale adn I'll start new topic for this build. I also bought Mr. Levelling Thinner by Gunze and will try it with Tamiya acrylics, since I read on czech modelforum that its the best way to thin these paints for airbrush.

A little bit of progress! Today I sprayed RLM 02 (tamiya xf-22 and xf-49, 1:1) in undercarriage areas. Now I plan to spray the white and black stripes at the back of the fuselage, then mask it and carry on with RLM 76 on the sides and undersurfaces.

zANAMNX.jpg

gZIZ0Rz.jpg