I have literally been carrying this kit around for almost 20 years.  Ok...I bought it in 2003, so 15 years, but it feels like 20.  Flashback released the kit in 1999 and it looks like it.  We have come a long way in the world of photo-etch and plastic moulding, but this kit seems to be a good one.  I'll put aside my Migs, Spitfires, et al...for a couple of weeks and tuck into this gem.  It will require research, patience and coffee.

I'll add the obligatory 'what's in the box' shots later...for now...

42473706800_5643dcfef8_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I have literally been carrying this kit around for almost 20 years.  Ok...I bought it in 2003, so 15 years, but it feels like 20.  Flashback released the kit in 1999 and it looks like it.  We have come a long way in the world of photo-etch and plastic moulding, but this kit seems to be a good one.  I'll put aside my Migs, Spitfires, et al...for a couple of weeks and tuck into this gem.  It will require research, patience and coffee.

--John

Holy crap, this kit is rare (and expensive) as all get-out these days!

3 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

It will require research, patience and coffee.

And the services of a well-trained spider.

Going to enjoy watching this come together.  Good luck!

AW

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Pin said:

I was also considering entering this GB with this kit.

And you still should.  Two of these built at the same time?  Talk about rare...In any case, here's what's inside the box...

The parts...

43679650914_22b9370a38_z_d.jpg

The instructions...hmmm...

29459854307_09b00c544c_z_d.jpg

This is a handy additional sheet...

44347419342_98eb7a222c_z_d.jpg

This rigging 'diagram' makes my head spin.  I've never been good at number puzzles so I will set this aside and go by photos of previously built kits and the real thing.

29459851157_acf7b11394_z_d.jpg

I'll be building towards the more colourful Italian bird...

43489092845_d6153ccea4_z_d.jpg

But first let's do some washing up.  The plastic felt terrible. The mould grease is almost 20 years old!

43489090935_726568f09c_z_d.jpg

That's much better!

I'll start in on it tonight. I'll separate the larger pieces from the sprue and clean them up.  Then I think I might build the lovely resin motor.  I am wondering if I dare build a second model at the same time.  It might be good mental therapy to have a Spitfire ( for another GB) on the bench at the same time...Something Israeli, perhaps.

--John

• Like 6

When you get to the rigging, don't forget one of the unique features of this aircraft. The "internal" wing bracing (top of forward outer strut to top of rear inner strut, etc) was actually below the wing surface. It is clearly visible if you're looking for it, but easy to miss if you don't know about it!

Ian

• Like 1

And so I begin.  I have removed the larger pieces from the primary sprue and cleaned them up.  There are two rudders offered, one for the French and one Italian.  I have chosen the Italian.  The plastic is good quality, not brittle, easy to trim and sand.  This means easy to drill, I hope!  The two pieces off on the lower left are wing jigs.  Very handy for strut placement, thank you Flashback!

42599576690_dff98ca859_z_d.jpg

First hiccup...when removing the stabilizer from the sprue, the connecting rod snapped.  Ok..Don't panic!  Actually it is better this happens now than at some other phase, like rigging.  That would be problematic.  Some brass rod will fix this and increase stability.

42599576710_a6e2df0a40_z_d.jpg

The plastic is too thin to drill holes so notches will have to do.  I have glued it with CA and filled the gap.  It looks better than this picture.

43691354714_d4b05ab913_z_d.jpg

Now for the motor...I am not are what motor the Italians used but this one is a ten cylinder job.  I have decided to leave the heads on the resin sprue for the time being,  I will remove the other pieces since I do not need them yet.  It will be easier to attache the PE pieces to the cylinders in situ and then attach them to the motor.

43500646895_71b459f7f3_z_d.jpg

Like so...

43691352644_0492dc9d54_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8

On 9/1/2018 at 4:25 PM, limeypilot said:

When you get to the rigging, don't forget one of the unique features of this aircraft. The "internal" wing bracing (top of forward outer strut to top of rear inner strut, etc) was actually below the wing surface. It is clearly visible if you're looking for it, but easy to miss if you don't know about it!

Not sure I understand what do you mean (well, literally I'm sure I don't). Could you show a picture please? 

Some building, some priming...

I have primed the plastic with Desert Tan since I will be eventually be painting this a very light CDL.  I am going to skip the 'white' suggested by the kit.  I have also built the 9-cylindar engine.  The rods don't reach the tops of the cylinders which is too bad.  I'm not losing sleep over this.  I predict stormier seas ahead.

Also, the cockpit components are built, primed and ready to be painted and installed in the nacelle.  I'll get to this tonight.

44394177402_5b3acaa892_z_d.jpg

44394177042_c1c80ff15f_z_d.jpg

30574771398_bb00c2a12e_z_d.jpg

Most of the above pieces will be 'wood' or 'steel'.  

--John

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Pin said:

Not sure I understand what do you mean (well, literally I'm sure I don't). Could you show a picture please? 

There are shots of a Voisin Type 1 on this page http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/voisin.html that has similar rigging.

With a larger images here: http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/images/[email protected]

and here: http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/images/[email protected]

It is illustrated on John's box top image, the diagonal rigging wires under the top wing.

42473706800_5643dcfef8_z_d.jpg&key=df77f

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First off...I apologize for the focus on some of these.  

I have re-examined the motor and decided that, right or wrong, the rods needed to be changed.  So I snipped off the PE pieces and replaced them with sprue,  Now they connect.  To be honest I could hear the groans of disappointment after my last post...

43556239435_a9a25fb0c5_z_d.jpg

I have also improved the interior of the nacelle a bit.  I sanded off the moulded spars, etc...and replaced them Evergreen and sprue.  I have also added a throttle on the left hand side (as the Datafile shows) and a compass on the right.  The control stick and pedals have also been added.  The console was not dry when I photographed this.  I will also be fixing that because I just don't like it.  You'll see...

43747661104_545c9c30cf_z_d.jpg

30595715528_9214011298_z_d.jpg

The seats are ready to be glued onto their appropriate 'blocks.'  No harnesses here!  This would have been a neck-snapper for sure.

Sorry about the focus again...

43747659864_74619d87fd_z_d.jpg

I'll close up the nacelle tonight and move along to something else.  I have no idea what that might be.

--John

• Like 8

Thanks Silenoz.  The PE provides the detail here.  I am not a huge fan of PE and really prefer the newer, more finely moulded kits of today.  Even resin is better, imho.  Your support is appreciated.  I have along way to go before I can say, "Nice build" to myself.

• Like 1

Head office completed...I used a piece of sprue as a support behind the dashboard.  You can't see it, but it's there.

29551375637_4a3f6d0b92_z_d.jpg

Nice looking resin radiators and pipes, primed and painted brass...

43579338735_85d15d26a3_z_d.jpg

The Hotchkiss gun is ready to be assembled and painted.

43579338275_f618ae6c46_z_d.jpg

The nacelle fit together very well.  I'll smooth out those lines today.

43579337625_4313440cd6_z_d.jpg

What's next?  Wings, gents, wings.  I will begin some preliminary drilling for the struts and attache the lower wing to the nacelle as soon as I can.  

After that, it should (we shall see...😉 🤞) come together rather quickly.  Then the rigging.  I am tempted to make use of the EZ Line for this since I don't want to put too much tension on the structure.  

--John

• Like 5

This evening's labours...I hope I have enough tape!

44493179911_82be5d3b61_z_d.jpg

This is a big airplane.  The wingspan at 1/72nd is much longer than a DVII at 48th.  The top wing is +/- 20.5cm while the wing of the Caudron G3 is just 17cm.

A big kite.

--John

• Like 6

On 9/3/2018 at 12:16 PM, Pin said:

You can see the wires I'm talking about in the second link in Robert Stuart's post, just below yours. The diagonal wires under the wing surface.

Ian

Yea, Robert has explained that already - thanks for the education!

I have built a parer model of Voisin in 1:33 many moons back (my first scratch build model) and still very passionate towards this bird but I missed that feature.

Ribs taped.  I have enough components ready now.  I can start glueing things together.  I'll get the lower wings on today, the metal underside of the nacelle...

Then paint everything light CDL tonight.  Tomorrow, struts, radiators...I think.

44475573942_d51180fda7_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 7

There is a point during the construction of models such as these, models with too many PE pieces, too-busy odd instructions, etc...that I want to pack it all in and build a nice, easy DVII...but I won't.

Paint.  MisterKit (if it still exists) was making these superb WW1 colours a few years ago.  I bought mine from a cottage industry in the UK, but the way.  WW1 Italian CDL Light.  Very nice.  Airbrushes with thinner beautifully but it really needs to set up overnight or else it retains a rubbery/acrylic nature that is not so great.  It requires a primer for sure or else it just peels off.  As it is, I am taking it carefully from now on so as not to scratch!

30664094168_718b07c36b_z_d.jpg

And the parts with the 'white'...I think this is probably closer to what they mean, imho.

43816166704_b3fffb0376_z_d.jpg

I won't be removing the tape until tomorrow.  Then I can begin to add the numerous PE pieces and resin bits to the nacelle.  I'll take care of the struts tonight, make them wooden, sort them out in terms of size and location, etc...

--John

• Like 5

Misterkit are still around, the website http://misterkit.com/en/9-acrylic-colours/s-3/manufacturer_2-mister_kit/price-0:15/categories_level_2-acrylic_colours?p=16 - WWI paints seem to be mixed in with others (especially Italian colours for some reason). {edit}Try sorting by reference, that *might* bring WWI colours together{/edit}

I haven't bought them for some time, but they were nice paints when I did.