Norwegian F-16 + Penguin references

mirageiv

Hi guys,

I am currently using some Hasegawa Penguin missiles to stick on a Norwegian F-16 in 1/72. However, I will need to scratch build the launcher specifically for the F-16 and modify the Hasegawa Penguins as they have a few things incorrect/could be improved, such as wrongly positioned rear fins. The weapon set provides a MK.3 missile, but with fins in the position of a MK.2 (oddly for Hasegawa's standards).

I've found a few images on the internet but nothing really brilliant, more important, I'm looking for a decent side profile picture of a MK.3 (F-16 launched version) so I can take scaled measurements off in order to establish correct dimensions for the repositioning of the rear fins. Does anybody know of any sources or good images that show close up details of the missile and launcher? The launcher seems to be based on an F-16 centre tank pylon modified and a cable duct fashioned on the RHS for, I guess, the missile launch specific wires, just speculation on my part though. I've not seen a model in any scale with them mounted before to assist. 

These are the best two I have found showing the launcher, but they are slightly different. I don't know if the cable duct is on both sides or not. 

The first seems to be a test round,

https://digitaltmuseum.no/011014894757/norsk-fly-av-typen-f-16-falcon-her-sees-en-penguin-mk-3-som-er-montert/media?slide=0   

I assume in the below image this is a training round during a more operational sortie rather than testing and that the circumferential bands are blue like normal training rounds. Also, the IR seeker seems to have a light grey cover, or is the IR seeker removed even to keep flying/fatigue hours lower for the more expensive parts of the missile? Hmm, not sure! The more I try to find, the more questions I have with this rather elusive missile/aircraft combination. 

31382383313_c301a4d413_o.jpg

So in summary, can anyone provide more reference pictures/sources/info they can share of the missile and launcher?

Thanks as always if anyone can lend a hand. 

Cheers,

David. 

The seeker is supposed to look grey, it is not clear glass. However it does have a clear glass dome cover that can clearly be seen in this photo. This is to keep it the IR seeker free from debris during the captive carriage and cruise phase of flight. It will shatter when the missile reaches the terminal search phase of flight. The missile navigates most of its course via its internal INS, and maintains altitude (in sea skimming mode) via RADALT. When it reaches the target area the frangible dome cover is shattered by a small piston driven by an explosive cartridge. This exposes the nice clean IR seeker, which activates and carries out a scan of the sea to calibrate itself prior to starting to scan for targets.

agm-119_140.jpg

Not the best image, but it doesn't appear that the wiring conduit on the pylon adapter is on the LHS.

Edited by CharlieNZ
  • Like 3

Spent some days just searching info of the Penguin missile,  it appears that Hasegawa Penguins are MAYBE ok just by cutting down the length excess and fixing the wings,  in doubt since I had an Hobbyboss Seahawk I compared both missiles and dimensions are very similar maybe the errors too but I forgot to check them against Fujimi ones so if you don't have that kit

https://imgur.com/a/h7ljqAu

also the launcher comes with Hasegawa X 72-9 weapon set, problem is trusting Fujimi accuracy cause the only good things contained in their F-16 boxes are the F-16 shaped object and the decals

Luigi

• Like 1

One thing to bear in mind if comparing the Hasegawa missile with the hobbyboss one, the Hasegawa one should be a Mk 3, while the Hobbyboss, since you say it comes from a sea hawk, would be a Mk2 Mod 7.

The main differences are the wings of course, the Mk 2 Mod 7 having the folding wings, which when unfolded are somewhat larger than those fitted to he Mk3. The Mk 3 is slightly longer as well, and 3.2m compared to the Mk2 Mod 7 at 3m. Probably not significant in 1/72 though. The rocket motor of the Mk2 Mod 7 has a booster section and a sustainer section, while the Mk 3 has no booster and a larger overall sustainer. On the Mk2 Mod 7, both sections ignite together, but the booster grain burns much faster, accelerating the missile up to speed.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 6:07 AM, CharlieNZ said:

The seeker is supposed to look grey, it is not clear glass. However it does have a clear glass dome cover that can clearly be seen in this photo. This is to keep it the IR seeker free from debris during the captive carriage and cruise phase of flight. It will shatter when the missile reaches the terminal search phase of flight. The missile navigates most of its course via its internal INS, and maintains altitude (in sea skimming mode) via RADALT. When it reaches the target area the frangible dome cover is shattered by a small piston driven by an explosive cartridge. This exposes the nice clean IR seeker, which activates and carries out a scan of the sea to calibrate itself prior to starting to scan for targets.

agm-119_140.jpg

Not the best image, but it doesn't appear that the wiring conduit on the pylon adapter is on the LHS.

Thank you Charlie for this information, very helpful indeed. So to model a Penguin in a training sortie, replicating the second picture in my initial post is the way to go, also I could stick the red ground protecting cover on I guess. Your picture seems to verify a few other pictures I have found that the wiring conduit is on the the starboard side only so that riddle is solved also. 

18 hours ago, Silverkite said:

Spent some days just searching info of the Penguin missile,  it appears that Hasegawa Penguins are MAYBE ok just by cutting down the length excess and fixing the wings,  in doubt since I had an Hobbyboss Seahawk I compared both missiles and dimensions are very similar maybe the errors too but I forgot to check them against Fujimi ones so if you don't have that kit

https://imgur.com/a/h7ljqAu

also the launcher comes with Hasegawa X 72-9 weapon set, problem is trusting Fujimi accuracy cause the only good things contained in their F-16 boxes are the F-16 shaped object and the decals

Luigi

Hi Luigi thanks for your input. The Hasegawa Penguins are quite accurate in terms of length for the MK.3 (F-16 launched missile) after checking dimension sources, where as the MK.2 is shorter with the larger, folding wings to which the Hasegawa missile would have to be considerably modified in length and wing/fin dimensions and placement. However the launchers provided in the Hasegawa set are too short, it should be slightly longer than the weapon pylon on the F-16, where the F-16 central fuel tank pylon matches almost perfectly in general shape, details such as the wiring fairing and mounting brackets will have to be scratch built. I found a picture of the Penguin missile provided in the Kinetic F-16 that seems good enough to scale some measurements off in order to establish the correct placement of the rear wings, well it should be close enough in this scale!

Thanks guys,

David

• Like 1