Pre-War Hurricanes (48001) 1:48

Mike

Pre-War Hurricanes (48001)

1:48 Iliad Design Decals

boxtop.jpg

When Hurricanes were new, and equipping squadrons before that fateful day in 1939, they looked more sleek and simple because they hadn't yet be tried by combat and used until they fell apart or were shot down.  This is the subject of the new decal sheet from Iliad Designs, giving you the option of five Hurris that were in service during 1938/9.  All options are wearing the familiar Dark Earth/Dark Green camo on their topsides, with variations on the lower surface of either silver of the half-and-half black/white recognition scheme, the latter seen on early WWII aircraft.

The sheet arrives in a ziplok bag, with the instructions folded in half doubling as the header card.  The sheet itself is behind with the interesting side facing out so that you can see what you are buying.  The instructions are printed in full colour, with profiles of the subjects on one side, interspersed with lots of useful titbits of information that will allow you to make your model more accurate, expanding on the visual information already provided, some of which might not immediately pop out at you if you're like me.  On the rear are opposing side views, top views and bottom views as appropriate where the aircraft schemes vary.  More information is supplied in captions, which are arrowed where necessary.

48001.jpg

The decal sheet is printed on a pale blue paper, with each subject separated by a broken line and sufficient roundels to allow the modeller to build all of the airframes without borrowing from other sheets.  I'm not sure who prints Iliad's decals but they're in good registration, sharpness and colour density, with a very thin gloss carrier film cut close to the printed areas.  The edges of the carrier film a very petite too, so shouldn't require much in the way of hiding, other than a couple of coats of clear gloss and some gentle sanding.

Conclusion

A nice spread of schemes from the early days of the Hurricane, before it played second fiddle to the Spitfire.  Superb quality decals with the research that has gone into them evident from the captions.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.jpg

I have this set ( two actually ) in 1/72, that I'm going to use on my Airfix Hurricane. I'll be doing Hurricane 313 RCAF.

43480405755_eeb795e762_b.jpg

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I have this set ( two actually ) in 1/72, that I'm going to use on my Airfix Hurricane. I'll be doing Hurricane 313 RCAF.

43480405755_eeb795e762_b.jpg

Anybody know what the aircraft is at far left ?

2 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

Anybody know what the aircraft is at far left ?

It's a Northrop Delta. Twenty Deltas were built under license by Canadian Vickers. I'm awaiting the release of the new Special Hobby kit.

https://documents.techno-science.ca/documents/CASM-Aircrafthistories-CanadianVickersNorthropDeltaMKII.pdf

Chris

• Thanks 2