Gloster Gamecock 1/48

Marklo

Get yourself a Roden DH-4 built, they are very theraputic and once its done  you can see what  a lot of useful  leftovers there are for other between-the -wars builds.

Couldn't agree more I have a DH4 and a DH4a (going to be done in Aircraft Transport and Travel LTD livery)  in my stash some nice OOB building provides a nice mental contrast to the scratch building.  I do also want to do a Pfalz DR1 this year (ok 2019 is looking more feasible) as it's the cute little plane and my first ever scratchbuild was a 1/72 one about 35 years ago., so I may start this soon as well, but it should be a whole lot easier than the Gamecock and will probably piggy back the fuselage molding with it.

Edited by Marklo
added extra stuff
  • Like 1

30688601267_642e17d44a_z.jpg]

The Pup is done, here it is joing most of my 2018 build (a He51 and a MK IV tank missing) so the Gamecock is now more or less my main build (also started a DH4a (OOB but I want to finish this before Christmas  if I can) and a Tiger I at the weekend so go figure) That headrest on the Depredussin, so has to go, I don't know what I was thinking, still a fix (and a more streamlined headrest) is underway as we speak. Also in case you're wondering, that is a Star wars ARC 170 lurking in the corner.

45629532341_f4d30e48a7_z.jpg

Started to roughly mark out the rear decking cut lines, cockpit, gun troughs, cylinder locations.

31757259208_66da80bdb2_z.jpg

Getting there with the form. Just checking the symmetry with my profile gauge and it's not half bad. Next step before chopping it into pieces is to get it as smooth and blemish free and add the stringer details.

Edited by Marklo
added extra stuff
  • Like 5

love this! a skilled build. 

We'll see :) But thank you for the kind comments

I thought my continued butchering of a 1/72 Pegasus Gamecock was hard work...

Everybody says this, but sad person that I am I really enjoy this part of a build. I might add that sometimes starting from scratch is actually easier. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Really do appreciate the positive feedback.

It is quite a petite machine, I'm building in 1/48 and wondering if I shouldn't have gone 1/32, but in 1/144 it would be a feat of model making, not to mention in danger of being inhaled :) .

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Really do appreciate the positive feedback.

It is quite a petite machine, I'm building in 1/48 and wondering if I shouldn't have gone 1/32, but in 1/144 it would be a feat of model making, not to mention in danger of being inhaled :) .

No 1/48th scale is the way to go if you are making a collection. 1/32 is all very well if you've got the time space and money unless you are just going for a few plum subjects.  Consider a run of Folland designs, SE-5/5a/5b Nieuport Nighthawk Nightjar and Sparrrowhawk, Grebe and Gamecock. Would you want to go through  the effort and expense of making them all in 1/32?  The Blue and yellow Chequered Nighthawk in 1/32 scale would of course  look fantastic....

Consider a run of Folland designs, SE-5/5a/5b Nieuport Nighthawk Nightjar and Sparrrowhawk, Grebe and Gamecock. 

I am, but contemplating a Gauntlet and a Gladiator at the far end.

You are right 1/48 was a pragmatic choice, big enough to get some detail in but small enough to get a lot on the same shelf, and seeing as how my stash is now full of 1/48 vintage types (I have a Bulldog, a Fury, a Nieuport 17, an Se5a, a Bristol fighter, DH2, DH4, Dh4a, DH9, Junkers DI, Albatros DI and DV, Fokker DVII in my stash, with plans for scratch  Pfalz DRI, Hansa Brandenberg W29 and  DH5 reasonably in hand) 1/48 will be my scale of choice for quite a while.

That said the Depredussin is in 1/32 and it's a nice size (but I do sometimes wish I'd done it to 1/48 :) )

Edited by Marklo

16 minutes ago, Marklo said:

I am, but contemplating a Gauntlet and a Gladiator at the far end.

You are right 1/48 was a pragmatic choice, big enough to get some detail in but small enough to get a lot on the same shelf, and seeing as how my stash is now full of 1/48 vintage types (I have a Bulldog, a Fury, a Nieuport 17, an Se5a, a Bristol fighter, DH2, DH4, Dh4a, DH9, Junkers DI, Albatros DI and DV, Fokker DVII in my stash, with plans for scratch  Pfalz DRI, Hansa Brandenberg W29 and  DH5 reasonably in hand) 1/48 will be my scale of choice for quite a while.

That said the Depredussin is in 1/32 and it's a nice size (but I do sometimes wish I'd done it to 1/48 :) )

There are quite a few racing and record breaking aircraft available in 1/32 scale and they do look stunning. There is a selection available in 1/48 but  they offer "less bang for your buck" relatively speaking than 1/32 scale, principally because so many of them  are very limited production resins from Atelier Noix or POMK and command very high prices if you can ever  get a chance to buy any of them. With military types, or military types as airliners like DH-4 variants, Bristol Tourers etc, the opposite case it true in my opinion.

Each to their own I suppose. At the moment I'm mostly into WWI and interwar types , some parts of which are well catered for in both scales, and some not. But I've plenty of kits/projects to keep me ticking over. 

But back on topic.

45595119952_b8f61ff22d.jpg

I had a perfectly good form

44736670495_9370a815ea.jpg

Which I've now gone and butchered.  Well hopefully you get the idea.  I've cut off the nose, separated out the foredeck and the keel was held together with double sided sticky so it split apart relatively easily. I can now mold it as 4 parts with the two sides and the nose being assembled and the foredeck going on last to allow access to detail the interior. Just need to wait for all my bits off ebay. Hmm will probably start on the lower wings while I'm waiting.

• Like 2

45677962152_63bac9a5b3.jpg 

45677961922_072c917337.jpg
Worked on the lower wings. Glued, shaped by leaving overnight duct taped to  two cans of de-icer I have handy and sanded to profile, then skinned with ruled 20 thou card. Have to shape the trailing edges, glue the upper skin and shape the ends.

45728353851_b61c062fb7.jpg
I have no patience, still waiting on the bits for my vac former so I decided to try molding the fuselage bits without vacuum. Only got the time to make one stab at the nose. Nearly right, more pins and it would have been perfect, still might be usable. Will go again on the nose and then try the upper deck when I get time.

45728354351_94e1dfe563.jpg
Inventory of made parts. Add in the wheels, vertical tailplanes and resin engine and we're making huge progress.

Edited by Marklo
added extra stuff
  • Like 3

Looking good!

I don't know if its too late, but I just bought some old copies of Scale Models magazine from the 1970's and one of them had a nice set of drawings on the Gamecock, I think by Harry Woodman.  I've made a 1200dpi scan of them and attached below in the hope they might be useful. 

VAL5NqZ.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if its too late, 

No except for the upper wing, nothing is beyond the point of no return :) That has much more detail of the MKII.  I'll print it off and see how it compares to my plans/components. All input appreciated, Thanks.

45020762064_6f0ccef4de_z.jpg

Couldn't help myself, had a bit of time on the bench (well in the kitchen, so I simultaneously made a chill con carne for dinner as well. The  cooking smells mostly covered up the smell of burning balsa), so made a stab at molding the fuselage yesterday .  I am now the proud possessor of 4 pieces of plastic that aren't entirely unlike a  Gloster gamecock fuselage :). The black marks are sharpie guidelines drawn on the plastic before molding, the brown singed balsa/flesh (although much more of the former than the latter)

Overall not too bad, usable but will need a lot of sanding and shaping, however as I will probably have to skin the fuselage in 10 thou card to get the stringer details, probably doesn't matter, think of them more as a framework to put filler on. The foredeck turned out to be a little deep to get the full mold, however that's easily fixed. Will clean them up and assemble/sand/fill them and see how well they work. I may still attempt to vac form them if I get my bits from ebay sooner rather than later (it's remarkable how difficult it is to find a wooden box and bulldog clips in the local shops) . You can  also see the much cleaned up nose in the foreground.

Getting there.....

• Like 3

45711665822_9507da1a9e_z.jpg

43944282950_aa7f7df81c_z.jpg

Fuselage sides glued together and after copious sanding, trimming and shaping, but before filler, of which there will be lots.... 

BTW the ruled lines aren't significant, I just happened to be using up scrap 20 thou card which was in turn remnants from a wing.

Edited by Marklo
details
  • Like 3

45068073084_1a8d6fc476_z.jpg

After lots of filling, sanding and painting, I have an almost compl;ete set of fuselage components. Just a little more filling and sanding.  The white piece is a 2mm bulkhead I'm going to mount between the main fuselage and the nose. 

My plan is to work the fuselage next then detail the interior so the  next order of business is  (are) the gun troughs then fitting the engine into the nose, adding the wing root fairings, fitting the tailplanes and skinning the fuselage to give the rib details. More to follow....

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

45903846401_c3fd3d9f6f_z.jpg

And now it's white again, but with lots of green bits.  Slow but purposeful progress, Back trouble plus ongoing CFS/ME means I haven't spent a lot of time at the bench. I have  filled the nose and tail with milliput and attached the nose (more anon) . Sanded the whole thing back to white (mostly) and filled all the dimples and removed any lumps, I've also added a bulkhead into the fore deck to pull it in a bit so it matches the rest of the fuselage (it's a smidgen too narrow so I'll let it out by cutting the bulkhead and re glueing it till it matches. Which means  fuselage is almost complete (should be the last fill/sand cycle) all 4 wings are nearly ready and the tail is good.

Starting to figure out things like how I'll detail the interior and how the hell I'm going to fit the engine (I have a cunning plan and a get out of jail clause too  )  Here's all the bits except for the kit parts I'm going to use.

Plan A for the engine is to start by cutting out the gun troughs then mark out and drill the cylinder locations, I can then part off the nose and fit the engine and seeing as it's now a solid lump of milliput this should actually work. Plan B is similar but I'd separate the cylinders and just attach them to the holes in the  nose, plan C (and my get out of jail clause) is having read that the Gamecock flew as much without the cowling as with it, would be to saw off the nose at the firewall and mount the engine and collector ring with no cowling. Plan D (if I get there) is to use the Bulldog parts, but they're really not that good,.

As for the interior: I need to cut out the cockpit opening, which is very small to the point that  I suspect that once this is done there will be very little of the interior visible so I may just run with some rudimentary spar detail a control panel and the kit seat with some added seat belts. I think I made the mistake with the pup of spending weeks adding detail that is now covered up, not again if I can help it. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

45968388971_e8fee51a89_z.jpg
Despite the Rugby I managed to get lot of work done over the weekend.  Milliput is rapidly becoming my favorite modelling thing :) . not great for fine gaps but perfect for everything else. Cleaned up the molded items quite a bit, I've now roughed out the gun troughs and the cockpit opening (it's so high and narrow that very little of the interior will be visible) as well as marking the tail cutout and the cylinder line for the engine.

32095987608_e340c8f5a8_z.jpg
I've more or less finished off the lower wings, just a little work on the trailing edges and the wing root before they're ready to go on. I also remade the tail as I thought the first one was a bit thick, not sure this one is a lot thinner, but it's better overall.

32095988418_00ef135650_m.jpg 45966977261_75f2d8b85b_m.jpg
Also started carving a propeller, blank on the left, almost finished on the right, turning out surprisingly well.

Edited by Marklo
added extra stuff
  • Like 3

45981984891_7710bae120_z.jpg

Gun troughs in, 4mm tube set into the fuselage in the middle, filed with a rat tail file at the front and horizontal stabs dry fitted. Also given a quick coat of grey to see what filling and sanding might be left. The next job will be to skin the rear section in 10 thou sheet to get the stringer detail and then the interior. Might even be able to start some assembley soon :) of course I'm going to have to sort out the engine mounting first, probably the trickiest part of this build....

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

31057665267_82e2d53a5d_z.jpg
 A little bit more progress. Fitted the tail properly, it's now level when inserted., did a bit more work on the gun troughs. Made a boss for the propeller and cut and lined the panels for sheeting the fuselage to give me my stringer details. One for each side, the turtle deck and the underside.  For these I first made a paper template and then cut 20 thou card which I then marked out with a ball point pen on the reverse, with the sheet on a piece of cardboard so the lines show through.

I'll probably fit the stringer panels next (will need to take plenty of care and attention as this will pretty much define the finished look of the fuselage, second only to the engine mounting) then move on to the nose and the interior. Just for pig iron I dry fitted the kit floor and seat (which isn't a million miles off) and with these in place you can see very little of the interior.

Edited by Marklo
added extra stuff
  • Like 4

44194806090_5d0cb6ed6a_z.jpg

On a totally unrelated note (except of course it's one of my other models) I finally got around to fixing the grossly oversized headrest on my 1913 Deperdussin (the first version was correct (I think) in plan but at least 2x too tall) and reminded me somewhat of Alan Prost every toime I passed it.

Back to the Gamecock (although I really should put some time into the DH4a). Actually some questions for the community.  It has only just dawned on me that I have no clue of how the instrument panel, stick and pedals on the Gamecock should look! or even whether it should have a lap seat belt (a la SE5) or a full harness (a la Gladiator) I have a side view of the interior, so I know where the longerons,  bulkheads, seat etc go, but not a single cockpit view and can't find anything for it or it's cousins (Nightjar, Grebe, Gauntlet etc) In fact I if I look at it's lineage I can only find details for the SE5a and the Gladiator.

TLDR: does anyone have an image or plan view showing the cockpit of a Gamecock or near equivalent??

• Like 1

45143595035_62c173f834.jpg

46055414111_900a0628bc.jpg

45143594815_451c112680.jpg

Tonnes of progress over the weekend. Made the fin, rudder and strake. (almostt sliced the back off the rudder, but it's fixable with filler :) ) Here they are dry fitted along with the horizontal surfaces. Still need a little more fitting and I have to scribe the horizontal tail (I hate scribing panel lines etc).

45143594895_2eaabf1b1e.jpg

I did a lot more work on the gun troughs and added what will be the wing root fairings and some 1 mm brass rod to mount the lower wings securely. I had (sort of) deliberately made the fuselage without the wing roots as I reckoned they were too complex a shape to mold without vacuum. Here you can see where I've cut out two wing root cross sections, drilled them to match the lower wing holes and attached them to the right spot on the fuselage, I've also added a piece of card across the two wing roots to align them and to get a much flatter surface of the fuselage in this area. I'll blend these in with filler next.

45331056444_1ec4aea22d.jpg

And finally here it is with everything dry fitted. You may notice the fuselage is sanded back to white (again :) ).

Next job is to attach the sheeting for the stringers and fit the engine (the one task I'm dreading), blend it all together with filler and it's down hill from there.  I've just realized these are all scratch built and that I'll basically end up using the upper wings, the wheels and the Decals from the kit.

Edited by Marklo
added extra stuff
  • Like 5

On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 19:25, Marklo said:

TLDR: does anyone have an image or plan view showing the cockpit of a Gamecock or near equivalent??

Lovely work so far, keep at it!

I was going to mention that I have the Mushroom publication on the Gamecock and Grebe on the way from Poland, and that I'd post any cockpit information that I found.  However the book arrived today and it turns out they've sent me a secondhand book on the Gladiator instead....  Grrr!

• Like 1