Airfix 1/72 therapy build thread: Wildcat done!

Thanks Ced, I never thought you would be cautioning me against spending too much on tools!

I have some which fit a scalpel handle, but find they are too prone to kinks. Anil's looks more robust, hence my interest. (Cost may be prohibitive, but worth knowing what is available).

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CedB said:

Nice work Anil :) 

Jon - Anil's saw is beautiful but a bit dear. I'd recommend RB Productions nano-saw set and, for tougher jobs, their stiffer Contour saw set. You'll need some spare handles but they're great tools.

Hey Jon

Here are the links earlier from in this thread:

Re the RB tools, I have all of them including the pico and micro as well as the contour & nano ones (as well as the Airwaves and few others!): They don't come close to Platz, it simply eats through the toughest or most delicate plastic in a few easy to judge strokes., the handle is near perfect for grip and balance (its unfinished wood which is matt and doesn't slip), the RB saw need the X-Acto type handle and you just cant get the control when sawing delicate parts. The most useful is the Nano cantilever blade show in the first pic, however its shape means its only a matter of time before it bends and is unusable, note the three pack I've already bought  (bottom pic)- that adds up pretty quickly to the price of the Platz.

If there's a single modelling tool I couldn't live without and recommend as essential to any modeller , its the Platz- proof is how hard they are to get, I waited three months on back order to score mine,It is the only tool I use for removing parts of any size from these stupidly thick gates on the fuselage to soft micro Airfix joysticks, no fuss, no breakages or accidental gouges - and I have two sizes of Xuron snips and the super expensive Dsipae single edge snip which haven't seen the light of day in nine months.

Its like cheap airbrushes, you'll go through a box of Chinese crap until you bite the bullet and get an H&S, Iwata or Badger and you are stunned at how easy airbrushing can be . Buy a Platz saw ASAP, you wont regret it!

46699503431_9cda9d060d_b.jpg

45974875684_e7d1b10371_b.jpg

45974878564_33c416d437_b.jpg

• Like 4

The webpage has an English language option top right. Unfortunately they are out of stock too as far as I can work out, rather than "buy it now" the big red button translates as "contact us" and takes you to their contact page.

• Like 1

Thanks Jon (you're up late!).

Couldn't find the right button, but then I'm happy with the contour and nano-saws :) 

Reminds me of the first demo I saw of a multi-language system that had a pick list for the desired language. Great feature, except of course that once you selected another language you had to know what 'English' was in that language :shrug:

• Like 2

On 1/11/2019 at 10:42 AM, azureglo said:

Its like cheap airbrushes, you'll go through a box of Chinese crap until you bite the bullet and get an H&S, Iwata or Badger and you are stunned at how easy airbrushing can be . Buy a Platz saw ASAP, you wont regret it!

Too right. Always worth paying that bit extra for quality, then you on;y have to buy it once.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 06/24 said:

The webpage has an English language option top right. Unfortunately they are out of stock too as far as I can work out, rather than "buy it now" the big red button translates as "contact us" and takes you to their contact page.

yup, it takes a few weeks but they'll mail you when a new batch is made, oddly enough hobbysearch mailed at the same time that they'd arrived and as i was buying other stuff, went with them. I'd be patient to wait, there isnt anything that comes close to this

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Yep, left a message. How’s the scooter progressing?

awaiting my return from bingeing on art at Tate Liverpool, just need fit last of the fuselage & wing fairings  slap on some masks and into the paintshop.

• Like 2

Back to the grindstone: The intakes are an interesting challenge, they have a locating lip that supposedly fits into a receiving recess that you would have created very carefully when inserting the main intake. Except for the fact the lip is 1.5x the thickness of the recess..I remember a post on the Airfix forum from the much missed Drewe Manton* where having presented his credentials as  microscopic  tolerance aerospace engineer and how he worked with Airfix who were well versed in tolerance etc. that I'd beg to differ from: there's a big difference between a lip of 1.5mm width and a recess of 1 mm. That said,  easy fix, saw off intake locating lip and flow Mr Cement into the butt joint.

32880204428_80c7d53021_b.jpg

Fair sized gap addressed with Mr Surfacer 500 and wiped off, Luckily trench panel lines means everything thing looks the same:

39790389143_4e59f50d4d_b.jpg

31814211127_da2e9d544b_b.jpg

Note black superglue on spine, this is a filler queen but relatively easy to deal with. Now does this scooter need a gun sight?

Cheers

Anil

* I loved his expletive filled diatribes at anyone and every on Zone Five, Anyone know where he is these days? 

• Like 8

On 1/15/2019 at 10:30 PM, 06/24 said:

Yes - I think anyway. See here: http://a4skyhawk.info/article/skyhawk-ordnance

I think you'd get away with a WW2 reflector sight in 1/72. 

And that's exactly what it got a, slightly modded Spit sight: It turns out the real thing had a "Librascope reflector gun sight"- an item so obscure there are no pictures of it (apparently). While I was there added a close enough firing handle for the seat.

39803064843_5a278ae9c4_b.jpg

After an eternity of intake masking, filling, sanding and more sanding, she's ready for primer...Oy, this new Airfix schmutter could fit better or even at all would be nice.

46768473701_494af5b369_b.jpg

Tomorrow is another day and frankly my dear....

• Like 6

Paintshop was busy, this and my FW190D in today:  Tried a pre-shade but decided that it doesn't really suit the little scooter. Most of them look factory fresh and tomorrow sees another coat of the surfacer 1500 to hide the pre-shade. . Mixed up some Mr Color Gull gray for the Sunday top coat and must remember to paint the bombs, Anil is going armed for a change.

46790541291_a52fe3e122_b.jpg

• Like 5

Man I made a meal of this one: endless half hearted attempts to conceal seam lines meant every coat of white primer showed even more nasties. Took all of yesterday, superglued, sanded, rescribed & polished every greeble. Reprimered and then top coated with Mr Color Gull Grey:

32965412168_e3c2ba2f88_b.jpg

31899605137_ea5c04fa07_b.jpg

The lesson is haste makes waste, get those seams done right first time or watch precious modelling hours drift by as your OCD runs rampant...gloss coat and decals await, maybe I might even do the airbrakes open?

Cheers

Anil

• Like 6

And a happy  first day of decalling: The Xtradecals (made by Microscale) need a bit of adjusting and trimming but look superb. I used the boiling water/paper towel method to get decals to conform, eschewing decal setting fluids for an experiment. Worked really well over the refuelling probe (pics later) and rudder which has diamond shapes nestling in each rudder depression.

46822092842_7d6f0bfb47_b.jpg

Finishing off decals tomorrow and then into matt coating and finally assembly, with this and my FW190D nearing completion, looks like I@m heading for the 2nd  & 3rd finishes of 2019 by January!

Cheery bye

Anil

• Like 3

4 hours ago, azureglo said:

And the Dspiae single cut nipper next, keep up

Stop it! I already have at least three nippers and the latest Xuron's are doing well :)