Airfix 1/72 therapy build thread: Wildcat done!

Stilll got a few days of modelling left before the Christmas break so this ones next: Fancied a wiffer racer, been ages since I did a civvy warbird! Man this would have made a stunning Reno racer with the powerful RR Griffon and that mean looking prop,  so thats what it's going to be. Sprues first

46356263892_86337eb7a5_b.jpg

First off, a simplified interior with none of the finesse of the later kits but fine under the thick canopy: went for primer grey in the true Reno tradition. Eduard belts (new steel Luftwaffe ones as I have a lot of them) and IP decal from one  of my many Spit F22 kits as AF supply nothing.

45494503395_f898820db3_b.jpg

45683803134_e106687e6f_b.jpg

Wildly badly fitting underwing lenses camera ports! Not a problem for me as I'm blanking them with Milliput.If I was to ever build an proper XIX, I'd build this up with odorless cyano and polish to clarity.

31467525847_df42ca48f1_b.jpg

46356301912_a7d039b625_b.jpg

Went for clipped tips as a lot of racers have them, 30 seconds with a JLC saw and 

46356279332_6b62009d13_b.jpg

44590116450_2ab03fe952_b.jpg

Read that the long intake on the nose was for cabin pressurisation, no use to a low flying racer and a mere source of drag: Duly excised and polished. While I was there added a missing coolant inspection hatch on the exhaust fairing using a beading tool-life is too short to try and scribe a 1.5mm circle. 

31467536597_4f88db8d8a_b.jpg

32535103838_52b47b8a0b_b.jpg

AF supply a badly fitting blanking port that will be faired in with Mr Surfacer 500 and wiped off. I added recesses for the oil filter and fuel caps that I'll add later on as per my F22:

45494526225_ed21e94aeb_b.jpg

So after two days we are ready to zip everything up, start de-seaming. I'm going for a wacky two tone metallic blue on this one with go faster stripes etc so time to raid the decal stash and see what calls.  

Cheers 

Anil

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, azureglo said:

Eduard belts (new steel Luftwaffe ones as I have a lot of them)

I'm tempted to try those steel efforts, better than earlier editions I hear?

You're not hanging around with this 'civvy' racer, looking cool already with the mods. :yes:

Stuart 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Courageous said:

I'm tempted to try those steel efforts, better than earlier editions I hear?

You're not hanging around with this 'civvy' racer, looking cool already with the mods. :yes:

Stuart 

Way better, they bend easily and stay in shape and  are better painted with some "pre-shading". You'll love 'em!

Anil

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Drift said:

Pretty damn smart. I need my mojo back. 

Mojos never go away, they just chill till its glue sniffin' time! Grab a kit, don't think, just build it !! No masks? Brush paint the canopy. Wrong paints? Do a whiffer,. Rivets in the wrong place? Drink a large single malt whisky and the numbers/placement will magically work, Build baby, build it good yeah!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Bah humbug, less jollity and more build: First off home made mask tweaked to fit using my Cricut Explore. A few minutes work drawing them in illustrator and cut varying percentage scaled sizes ( whats  four inches of Tamiya tape worth?!) Near perfect fit.

44603412010_a5b014a87e_b.jpg

Had noticed these gaps during dry fitting.

31480677917_ccba3c2aea_b.jpg

44603423910_3d3f8ddacf_b.jpg

Easily dealt with, a card shim:

44603427710_9977219f04_b.jpg

Some 0.5mm square strip softened into place with Mr Cement S:

46369616772_b5a103fb78_b.jpg

Note lots of Mr Surfacer 500 to close up minor gaps. Noticed that if everything was lined up at front, the rear of the wing insert was about 1 mm too narrow:

44604546040_665e5c1cf9_b.jpg

New stuff: Upol glazing putty, amazing stuff rock hard in 20 minutes and you can even scribe it. Only downside is its two part and reeks to high heaven...Note how beautifully it feathers and takes a polish. This is going to be another go to product for yours truly.

44604344080_4eeb694c78_b.jpg

32549244408_69caf30499_b.jpg

So a busy day and good progress, tomorrow may see some primer while I ponder the various metallic blues I have.

Cheery byes peeps

Anil

• Like 8

A bit of modelling done as I wind down for the day and prepare for  obligatory excesses tomorrow:  The canopy got  bruised by a sanding stick so needed micromeshing and re-Futuring ( ? ). Meantime these arrived (0.1 mm drill?!)

32576733248_cd938694f0_b.jpg

So I drilled out the very fine exhausts with the  0.2 and 0.4 mm bits, ludicrous and enjoyable.

45536295265_6129feab94_b.jpg

While I was there, decided to re-profile the spinner: To be blunt,

46449077791_4261ab8dfb_b.jpg%5B

46398649562_e5b0e1cb2a_b.jpg

Well nothing more till Friday when I come home  and primer up as they say, So have a very Happy Holiday and see you all soon!

Anil  

• Like 5

Proper job coming along there Anil. Can't beat a racing Spit. Nice additions and little tweaks too, though I'm surprised at the quality, or lack thereof of some of the fit. I thought this was a new tool. The belts look great too, as others have commented. Although one little gripe - Luftwaffe belts in a Spitfire, c'mon mate we do have principles...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Proper job coming along there Anil. Can't beat a racing Spit. Nice additions and little tweaks too, though I'm surprised at the quality, or lack thereof of some of the fit. I thought this was a new tool. The belts look great too, as others have commented. Although one little gripe - Luftwaffe belts in a Spitfire, c'mon mate we do have principles...

Hey Tom, I'm going with the war surplus theory, that and an  ebayer had put them on for £4 instead of £9 so I bought 5 sets, thats a lotta belts to use up baby! The PRXIX is from 2009, same as the IXC and both are lot cruder than the 1A that came out the following year. neither has decals for the IP, open and un-detailed wheel wells 2mm thick canopies and some of the fit is near Novo like. I guess "new Airfix" was just beginning , that said if you bought the 2017 "reissues" for the same kind of money as the various Eduard weekend kits, you'd be pretty disappointed. I built the IX ages ago  and was stunned by how bad it it was but forgave its quality on the grounds it was cheap, like wise this is one my many Home Bargains £2.99 purchases from 2016, so its really just a practice kit for the price of a fancy coffee.

11 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Lovely work as ever Anil.

That primer finish is exceptional, something we can all learn from. Great tips on your builds BTW.

Cheers Nigel, I'll make some of the grey/leveling up for you when I next see you at our impending Curry night! Its really incredible stuff  and the leveling thinner just makes it a dream to use and clean up. I haven't given up on totally on Stylnylres and am acquiring some of the Lechler dedicated thinners and gun wash as I have been told all waterborne primers rely on being "thixotropic" and also something called "filming*" which is essential for their wet on wet application, followed by curing under infrared lamps. Cleaning though is my major issue with STYN, the stuff welds its self on in minutes to all parts of the airbrush* it touches.

That said if I was being honest, the Surfacer 1500 is way smoother and levels better with right thinner as Spit 22 showed, plus no temperature/pressure issues  but its nice to have non-toxic alternatives.

Cheers

Anil

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

...and do you use as a thinner, and what do you use to clean the stuff from your brush?

Stuart

Hi Stuart

I use Mr Leveling Thinner for dilution and clean up is just cheap lacquer /cellulose thinner. When diluted (40% thinner by weight) Mr Surfacer 1500 behaves just like Mr Color/Hobby and sprays at 10-15 PSI/0.4-6mm needle. In truth I would only dilute this now at a max of 25% thinner.

Cheers

Anil

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, azureglo said:

I use Mr Leveling Thinner for dilution and clean up is just cheap lacquer /cellulose thinner. When diluted (40% thinner by weight) Mr Surfacer 1500 behaves just like Mr Color/Hobby and sprays at 10-15 PSI/0.4-6mm needle. In truth I would only dilute this now at a max of 25% thinner.

Looks like the only bit I need is a change in needle/ nozzle as I've only got a 0.2mm.

Stuart

On 12/29/2018 at 6:29 PM, Courageous said:

Looks like the only bit I need is a change in needle/ nozzle as I've only got a 0.2mm.

Stuart

Good move  Stuart, a 0.2mm will only give you decent wide coverage when you move far  away from the model, which will give you gritty primer thats already dry when it hits the beastie. In any case virtually all primers and gloss coats are much happier with a 0.4-0.6MM

Cheers

Anil

And let's kick off the new year with some masking for my two tone hotrod, laid down a very iridescent Tamiya light metallic blue first,

45834960964_9a4fb3a617_b.jpg

45834977394_a4433d332b_b.jpg

And then the Mica blue, ooh fifties baby! (Silver rectangle is for the Rolls Royce logo).

32685490748_d72e7d0ca0_b.jpg

44741439320_4b7565d05d_b.jpg

Finally, primed the prop with a 50/50 mix of Mr Surfacer black and GX112 super gloss, I'm going for a see-your-own-reflection vibe when I hit it with the Alclad chrome,

45834986574_679131317c_b.jpg

Some last minute touch ups done, gloss coating and wacky WHIF fifties race decals tomorrow, it looks like the first finish of 2019 is imminent!

Happy New Year to All

Anil

• Like 6