Airfix 1/72 therapy build thread: Wildcat done!

5 hours ago, clive_t said:

PM sent :thumbsup2:

On its way to you, the post gets picked up here at 9:00AM so you should have it by Friday. Sent 3200/6000/8000/12000. If you want to make it really work you really need to have used 1200 then 2000 prior as this is about graduated scratch removal- I've popped in some 1200/2000 as well if you haven't got any handy but its readily available as ordinary cheap wet or dry so no need for the Micromesh versions.

Finally if you're doing canopies, Klear/Future/Alclad Aqua gloss etc is the last step. Some folk use a liquid  fine finishing polish instead  (as Micro mesh supply in their kits) but as thats usually wax based you'd have to apply it after spraying  canopy frames? Have fun!

Cheers

Anil

• Thanks 1

What a kind chap he is :D 

I'm a great fan of Micro-mesh, the "non-abrasive abrasive" and would only add NOT to press when using it; just polish rather than sanding and the bumps disappear!

More info on the manufacturer's website here.

HTH and I hope you like it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Having depleted my bank account by several thousand at the guitar auction, its decal Friday:  went for the the no Future*/gloss route as Mr Alclad looked super smooth to me.

46315645411_8472764974_b.jpg

img

A little Daco orange applied for snuggling down purposes and thats it for today, need a sundowner and a home made chicken curry now.

Cheers

Anil The Impoverished

*Feel free to have a Sex Pistols moment

• Like 7

Glorious Anil. Genuine query mind. Were you not tempted to mask and spray the roundels on the wings as opposed to using transfers? You are pretty adept at the procedure, or did you spend all your money on guitars and have none left for masks? :winkgrin:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Nice bright and colourful Spit, what's not to like.

Another one has a a stash of Daco.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, Daco and Mr  Leveling, truly the Nectar Of The Modelling Gods

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

Glorious Anil. Genuine query mind. Were you not tempted to mask and spray the roundels on the wings as opposed to using transfers? You are pretty adept at the procedure, or did you spend all your money on guitars and have none left for masks? :winkgrin:

Hey Tom in truth my attempt with the Tomahawk is a bit ragged close up and needs a fair bit of practice. Mask wise its  virtually no cost as I have my own vinyl/craft cutter but as these are going to end up as give away desktop models I thought a  better finish would be achieved by decals. They worked surprisingly well apart from the blocks of film for the codes under the wings which I was too lazy to cut out. Masked roundels are high on my agenda to get right but not till my building gets to better level (e.g like your stuff!). For now I'm happy with my first NMF not being a disaster!

Cheers

Anil

• Like 4

A small Sunday update: Spent all of yesterday doing the myriad of stencils and gloss coated the beastie:

45429051025_e5750f00d2_b.jpg

44524773500_0c2a2336c3_b.jpg

Hmm not sure about the Alclad Aqua gloss, it seems to subtly alter the character of the High Speed Silver. That said there was no choice as the decals readily detached themselves from the painted surface with merest of touches. Last bit of stencilling was the prop: God I hate doing yellow tips on props... Said decals behaved impeccably going straight onto the Alclad HSS and snuggled down with Daco orange.

31402369167_ccf6ac5e40_b.jpg

45429059615_06e6fa9ce5_b.jpg

I'm off to see the Klimt/Schiele at Royal Academy tomorrow so I think this will be completed next Tuesday. Thanks for tuning in and have a great week .

Cheers

Anil

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

I've only just noticed the lack of tailplanes. For why? Are they a colour?

Just makes it easier to paint, avoiding that nasty airbrush blow-back from right angles . They're the same HSS but as they're a push fit just made it simpler to get a good even finish on the tail.

• Like 3

And we have another finish! 

Yesterday involved two jumpers on the Basingstoke to Waterloo line, there and back so spent 5 hours on the trains instead of the 90 minutes...was having some uncharitable thoughts about folk who decide that not only is their life worthless, by jumping in front of trains they have little value for anyone else. The Klimt/Schiele exhibition was totally pants, they have nothing in common and its a sad new trend from galleries to try and "theme" shows with spurious and tenuous connection. This was even more dire that recent Van Eyck/Pre-Raphaelites nonsense.

So back to my little Spit, a day of detailing: First off did the landing lights:

Eduard etch lights,

31432181677_e6ec06535e_b.jpg

Mr Hobby clears;

45458857285_ccc62d0ffb_b.jpg

Finally punched clear lenses held on with Future.

45648509594_5c64c151c7_b.jpg

A sweet 0.1mm rod whip aerial. Cannons just push fit hence jaunty angle to be adjusted for RFI 

46371475831_e0fa2d44b4_b.jpg

Clear resin nav lights:

44554528610_4dd6bd18bb_b.jpg

Improvised fuel filler and oil filter(?) Drilled exhausts , further refined with a No11 scalpel worked well.

45458891715_15464d511d_b.jpg

Stand made and she's buzzing the cutting mat: love the look of this one, especially the big  five blade prop!

45458901445_a13b161065_b.jpg

31432253507_f7a379f3c4_b.jpg

Well that makes nine finishes this year and each incrementally better that the last. Dare I try to squeeze one more in for 2018?

RFI:

Cheers

Anil

• Like 9

Stunning work. Like how you can see the cockpit detail through the canopy and the exhausts look superb; notwithstanding the other details and the 😎 finish. Oh while we're on the shiny shiny theme - not as much class as Velvet Underground but plenty of quirkiness.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, clive_t said:

Superb model, I couldn't even dream of doing something of that quality, especially at that rate!

Thanks Clive it's amazing how fast you can be if you're not building up a railway in your back garden!

18 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Stunning work. Like how you can see the cockpit detail through the canopy and the exhausts look superb; notwithstanding the other details and the 😎 finish. Oh while we're on the shiny shiny theme - not as much class as Velvet Underground but plenty of quirkiness.

Ah Tom, the eighties and one (or two hit wonders), googled them and turns out I've worked for one of them as a consultant! The whole detail thing is important for the end owners, they love peeking into cockpits and admiring wee seat belts and gun sights and well as figuring out how sub millimeter light lenses are made! Its strange how "dull" most models airplanes look when they're on the ground, UC extended, cowls off etc but thats maybe just me & the folks I know!! BTW the same peering into microscopic spaces and seeing little bits of intricate detail is what I loved about your Fury and now your Lanc!

Cheers

Anil

• Like 2
  • Haha 2