Airfix 1/72 therapy build thread: Wildcat done!

Shamelessly plagiarising   @stevej60 and @06/24 build threads here and here, I have decided to try and build an new tool Airfix 1/72 every week until my impending personal Brexit next year. After a serious illness back in 2016, I’ve found it difficult to focus and concentrate and am using it as some self-prescribed therapy to get myself back into a happier place (not that I’ve much to complain about these days).

My last few builds gave me a sense of focus and that I haven’t had for nearly 18 months so as a trained psychologist, I think it’s a case of “physician, heal thy self”.  And the stash gets reduced woohoo! Having the luxury of my 3 station workroom plus separate dedicated spraying room, its easy to have always Airfix 1/72 on the go.

As my first ever model in 30 years was this lovely beastie from said Margate Company, it seems right and loyal to continue with them.

It may also be of use for some of you that have them in the stash but haven’t touched them yet, judging from my experience with FW190, I’d lay in some serious quantities of superglue and a powerful grinder… So let’s see what I can make of the others. Here’s the pile to take me through the next few months . It’ll be handy to have it in one thread and I can see if my skills are improving, plus my OCD is satisfied

44320593502_623dde0c04_b.jpg

Progress so far:

1/72 Bf 109E-4  WIP  RFI
1/72 Hurricane 1 (in 4 days!) WIP  RFI
1/72 FW190A  WIP  RFI

1/72 Tomahawk RFI

1/72 Red Arrows Gnat WIP   RFI

1/72 Spitfire 22 WIP  RFI

1/72 Spitfire PRXIX WIP RFI

1/72 Douglas A-4B Skyhawk WIP  RFI

1/72 F-4F4 Wildcat WIP  RFI

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So first up the Tomahawk, a nice gift set, no stencils and ripe for some dirtying up

29447610527_8fd0c03d0b_b.jpg

30516840128_93c2b0f0be_b.jpg

First up the pit: "extensive research" (aka 5 minutes on google) yielded Curtiss green as the cockpit,colour, an unpainted aluminium seat and USAAF seat belts (courtesy of Eduard)

43440818285_a97ded2d80_b.jpg

The sticky up lever thing next to the control column (something to do with the the undercarriage?) was duly hacked off and replaced with rod & coloured PVA, much nicer.

30516931818_af450e0514_b.jpg

44335412672_a349a2801b_b.jpg

Although the outside is going to get a good dirtying up, the inside is not going to be weathered as A: the canopy is closed and B: I cant be bothered...New thing for me, using my iPhone 6 and Flickr, much easier than my various assorted DSLRs, superzooms, Photoshop and FTP programs. Quality is perfectly acceptable I think, for a WIP.

• Like 18

What a great way to rehabilitate yourself.

This was one of the reasons I got back into model making 4-5 years ago with a 1/32 Colonial Viper.

Loving your work, and keep it up amigo!

• Like 2

Same here, I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and I find that model building (assuming that all the chemicals and solvents aren't harming me) gives me a major mental break.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Amazed my feeble efforts are referenced in such exalted company. As ever the cleanliness and neatness of your paintwork is awe inspiring. Bravo sir!

I've seen your handiwork, I think the adjective you are looking for is "inspiring" not feeble

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great idea for modelling therapy,I'd forgot about my thread sadly the box most were in was crushed and only the swordfish survived and still not finished!

Ah, you must have felt a subliminal urge to move on and thus willed their demise...PS get stronger boxes or sublimate yer urges.

Cheers and the thanks for the kind words

Anil

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

What a great way to rehabilitate yourself.

This was one of the reasons I got back into model making 4-5 years ago with a 1/32 Colonial Viper.

Loving your work, and keep it up amigo!

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

Same here, I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and I find that model building (assuming that all the chemicals and solvents aren't harming me) gives me a major mental break.

Thanks guys, its a fun hobby and wow, sometimes when I look at what I've got in the cabinet, its a hell of lot more satisfying than delivering an 80 slide strategy deck to some uninterested marketing director! @Marklo good quality face-mask and try to use odourless cyano, but our exposure is so low it isn't really an issue. I feel for you with CFS, I have insane amounts of energy, just a lack of focus! 

Remember what Kevin Costner heard in the movie though:

" Build it and they will come."

And if they are wearing white coats and carrying a giant butterfly net, leg out it the back window sharpish...

Cheers

Anil

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 31/08/2018 at 18:55, azureglo said:

................. sometimes when I look at what I've got in the cabinet,

All that stuff you got off me fits in your cabinet?  Who built it.......  Pickfords? NASA? :shrug:

Mike :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bootneck said:

All that stuff you got off me fits in your cabinet?  Who built it.......  Pickfords?  :shrug:  NASA?

Mike :rofl:

The items I acquired from you are being pressed into service as loft insulation for the upcoming ice age , I'll have you know...future generations who dig out my frozen corpse will marvel at what we did to dead dinosaurs.

• Haha 3

Well I hope you've had the ceiling joists checked for stress fractures Anil!!   Also looking forward to seeing your progress on the build.  Is that a gear stick in the cockpit?

Mike

3 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Well I hope you've had the ceiling joists checked for stress fractures Anil!!   Also looking forward to seeing your progress on the build.  Is that a gear stick in the cockpit?

Mike

Yes indeedy Mike, I notice a few insulation gaps so  feel free to let me know of any large boxes you want re-locate from Devon...the "gear shift" is something to do with the undercarriage, I dimly remember when I did this, reading that it was used to raise/lower the undercarriage, maybe only for emergencies or perhaps  like the F-4F Wildcats, as pilot arm strength conditioning?

Anil

• Like 1

Hello Anil,

Great way to recover ! Modelling has helped me a lot when IRL was so dire and difficult !

Great start on your P-40 !

I had a big laugh about the meeting with uninterested directors, so true !

I'll follow up if you don't mind it !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Anil,

Great way to recover ! Modelling has helped me a lot when IRL was so dire and difficult !

Great start on your P-40 !

I had a big laugh about the meeting with uninterested directors, so true !

I'll follow up if you don't mind it !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Hobbies should be restorative not a chore! Follow away, I'll be picking away that that pile and might accidentally build a halfway decent model, its got to happen sooner or later!!

Cheers

Anil

• Haha 1

The P40s is a nice little kit and was the first kit I built after my stroke (which affected the way vision was processed especially words) and modelling has been a great way to help with re-learning skills and also the psychological issues of a real life changing event. 

• Like 4

Sorry Anil, forgot to mention last night, but I did a wip for one of these a while back. No doubt if there were pitfalls I fell in them, so you may find it useful (although I remember the kit as pretty viceless, any problems were if my own making!)

• Like 1

Todays wee update, after a long trip to deepest Birmingham,  just zipped up the fuselage and sprayed/weathered the parts behind the Plexiglas side screens

30539281008_7abc97db69_b.jpg

11 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

I think you'll be rather pleased with how the Tomahawk goes together.

42598419530_10b34f5a4d_b.jpg

Well its better than the FW190 but the top cowl and its recess aren't quite the same shape...no worries my stocks of Zap a Gap and 600 grit wet or dry are ample, but thats for tomorrow,

Cheers

A

• Like 4

21 hours ago, azureglo said:

pilot arm strength conditioning?

Could well be a hand pump for the gear.

Remember early Spitfires had just such an arrangement too.

The post take off wing wobble as it was used, is often mentioned in biographies.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Good luck, watch the engine fit on the ME262 and the fan in the harrier as both proved difficult on my builds

Cheers Neil, that's a few weeks away and I followed the excellent build by @Tony Oliver so will have my grinder ready

10 hours ago, Mr T said:

The P40s is a nice little kit and was the first kit I built after my stroke (which affected the way vision was processed especially words) and modelling has been a great way to help with re-learning skills and also the psychological issues of a real life changing event. 

well said my friend, the sheer impact of being told you almost died , even to a trained psychologist, is hard to describe let alone absorb. Its strange how a little "kiddy toy" plastic model can put everything into perspective and give a little light relief

10 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Nice little kit but be wary of fettling all the nose bits (technical term!) together, otherwise you will face having to break out the filler.

Cheers

Trevor

Cheers Trevor, just dry fitted and see what you mean.

9 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Ah, and now I see you commented on that build way back when. Sorry mate, carry on, as you were...

Thanks for that Jon, had totally forgotten about my P-40E build from the  same STGB, now to hunt down those teeny tiny etch ring and bead sights! BTW my paint work looks gruesome on this hapless bit of plastic, should have used a new  roller😉

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Could well be a hand pump for the gear.

Remember early Spitfires had just such an arrangement too.

The post take off wing wobble as it was used, is often mentioned in biographies.

Lucky they didn't have anything stressful to focus on, as well,  like coming face to face with someone like Joachim Marseille after he found out Camp Luft El Khazi had run of Schnapps and brandy...👿 Did anyone at Curtiss ever hear of something called the "electric motor"?

• Like 2