Airfix 1/72 therapy build thread: Wildcat done!

That is one seriously shiny bird 😎 What are your thoughts on applying panel line washes to it? Clearly you won't be applying any weathering, unless of course you have another session on the Jamesons with Nigel and on returning home think: "I know I've just had a great idea, what could possibly go wrong..."

I think some very subtle panel lines in a light grey perhaps would set it off nicely and add to the contrast of those wonderfully striking colours.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

That is one seriously shiny bird 😎 What are your thoughts on applying panel line washes to it? Clearly you won't be applying any weathering, unless of course you have another session on the Jamesons with Nigel and on returning home think: "I know I've just had a great idea, what could possibly go wrong..."

I think some very subtle panel lines in a light grey perhaps would set it off nicely and add to the contrast of those wonderfully striking colours.

Y'know Tom, I might just try that; I've got some Paynes grey oil paint and turps. That said in real life the Airfix trenches  panel lines are very pronounced and catch the light without any help! And who knows the jameson may actually help both Nigel and I,: There's something very helicoptery about to transpire In Camp Nigel, unless I lost a whole load of bits fondling it in a bar...

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Very smart - well done that man! :) 

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

This turned out great Anil  :worthy:... Really looking forward to seeing how it finishes up. 

12 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Beautiful

As always gents, your encouragement is much appreciated, now back to gently coaxing 0.5mm decal stripes around curves, I may be gone some time...

Anil

• Like 4

And we're done! That makes five for 2019, woohoo!! A few details.

Early pitot from Albion Alloys tube

47218226032_bbca30b2ea_b.jpg

For @06/24, my twee wing tip lights

33394482398_008e8cf52d_b.jpg

New thing Uschi Fine I've used the Superfine for 1/72 but its ludicrously thin and un-pick-up-able. The Standard is a bit heavy and any of them are way finer than the undersea cable thickness of EZ line for 1/72.. and I haven't  the patience of @clive_t to halve EZ line...Oh and another light of some sort for the Mighty Gwinn's pleasure ( or not)

47270155151_8034b0533e_b.jpg

47270171281_4fb6d02b85_b.jpg

I muffed the cockpit by not painting the coaming part black but hey, they used a light grey primer in other places, maybe they were experimenting? After all this is an exhibition display plane ( see below)

47270161191_6bfbedf3b3_b.jpg

Quickboost guns, pretty!

47270159331_9affd5d866_b.jpg

Look Ma, a spinner! Hacked together and reprofiled Hurricane jobbie from the spares box, pretty sure this prop was made by Curtiss, not Hamilton but the decals are on...

47270157541_a53b0bfa5b_b.jpg

Pre RFI Beauty shots ( too lazy to set up new flash head setc. and the sundowner has been poured)

First off, the inspiration:

46355777445_324578e904_b.jpg

Note properly deflected ailerons for the banking, you heard me, I said banking!

46355749895_50271125fe_b.jpg

Guns need glueing straight, just pushed in for now

33394510438_752e6422b7_b.jpg

Rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata!

47218250072_f8f15db18a_b.jpg

Lots of artistic license: Cowl should have wider flat upper  intake not none, guns are wrong, should have two cowl guns and troughs, spinner too pointy, cowl flaps should be different, Rivet no. 125863 should be removed,  secondary warp core inverted, eps conduits  misaligned, incorrect flux capacitor installed etc. Who cares?, It looks like a honey and is different enough from the cookie cutter over weathered spits/109s/190s ( look who's talking!). Makes me smile and no military history was harmed  (or quoted) in this build. Oh and look, its based on a real one with the undercarriage up and no plastic dummy in the cockpit, drone that babeee !!

Well that draws this  therapy thread to a close temporarily; having built six back to back Airfix kits, I need a change so I'm going to start something different for my workbench thread (s?)  and restart this when I'm have the jones for Margate's  finest. Many thanks for tagging along plus the encouragement of my often ham fisted efforts -I'll put up an RFI later next week. 

So in passing, loved doing this, got a decent cabinet full of models ( despite  some being whisked away periodically by "admirers"). Learnt that it's easier to finish a model than whine about mojo loss etc. Practised my airbrushing, masking,seam filling, did a few conversions, made up stuff, respected history, got dirty, came clean, was grounded but now I'm airborne and all those years I said I would practice and get my skills developing? Guess what? I did!

Building is fun, rivet counting less so ( for me at least) and of all my hobbies this is the cheapest and easiest. My concentration  and confidence for other things is positively brimming ( which may mean fewer builds this year) but then, that was the point of doing this: learning to finish things and getting the pleasure of seeing a thing through to the finish.

Also, got addicted to sniffing CA, doh!

Cheery byes, styrene wranglers!

Anil

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

On 3/3/2019 at 7:58 PM, 06/24 said:

Ahhh lovely lights, cartoonish (in a good way), that uschi thread.looks superb too. It's been a blast! Looking forward to seeing what happens next!

Aww, shucks, they wuz just fer y'all now! Seriously the uschi stuff is lovely but man you need to start with fine   or standard, the SF is near invisible and you'll avoid it forever. BTW If I ever find it I have second unused Uschi Standard bought at Telford last year that may be going cheap in the buy and sell section...but that means going into the LOFT!!! 😱

• Like 1

Stunning work sir!

59 minutes ago, azureglo said:

no military history was harmed

I think the space time continuum is safe for the time being...that said...

Looking forward to the next subject. C'mon give us a trailer like they do at the movies.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Stunning work sir!

I think the space time continuum is safe for the time being...that said...

Looking forward to the next subject. C'mon give us a trailer like they do at the movies.

Many thanks Tom and as requested this should make everything obvious...👿

47219494852_b363a65832_b.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

erm it's a 1/72 scale 1 2 3 and 4 ....

You win! its definitely one of those and your prize is to build my Revell North Sea Oil rig kit that I got from Bootneck/Mike who got it from the devil...Don't worry Tom  its only got a handful of parts.

• Haha 3

That's stunning, just stunning. What a lovely scheme.

I have to agree with Tom's comments.

Rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata-rat-a-ta-rata!

You complete and utter nutter.

In a wholly good way of course.

Did we have Jameson's? My memory is a little vague on the issue.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Hmmm, Phantom, eh?

Lovely Wildcat, Anil - well done.

Now there's a man who knows a Tiseo when sees one😉

7 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

That's stunning, just stunning. What a lovely scheme.

I have to agree with Tom's comments.

You complete and utter nutter.

In a wholly good way of course.

Did we have Jameson's? My memory is a little vague on the issue.

We did have Jameson. A lot. Thats why we have trouble with our memories!

• Like 2

On 3/4/2019 at 8:41 PM, azureglo said:

Now there's a man who knows a Tiseo when sees one😉

and is keen to see what you do with yours... it's only just dawned on me, but why are two of them provided on the sprue? TISEO was only applied to the port wing... Curious! Is that Esci plastic?

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 12:10 AM, Andrew said:

and is keen to see what you do with yours... it's only just dawned on me, but why are two of them provided on the sprue? TISEO was only applied to the port wing... Curious! Is that Esci plastic?

Yup thats Esci, as far as I know the  TISEO was only fitted to port the wing, all will make sense here: