Airfix 1/72 therapy build thread: Wildcat done!

Nice one! This could easily be a physical incarnation of one of the planes from that Disney/Pixar film! The voice characterisation would probably be courtesy of Johnny Depp in a Jack Sparrow style! :D

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Nice one! This could easily be a physical incarnation of one of the planes from that Disney/Pixar film! The voice characterisation would probably be courtesy of Johnny Depp in a Jack Sparrow style! :D

As in  "Strewth, that's effin bloody  fast mate, I'm going for a drink or three, wake me up  next Tuesday..."

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Courageous said:

That's looking well smart!

Stuart

Its about to get "Reno-ed" now that I've found some suitable fifties racer decals...Last time I clear coated a tamiya paint, I got crazy paving, I think I'll err on the side of caution and use Alclad aqua gloss, its the most benign of the gloss coats I have and there's no way I'm masking those lightning bolts again

• Like 1

Y'know those threads where everything is motoring along and then booyah! disaster strikes? Well its finally happened to me: Went into the pain(t) room this morning and:

32696232068_5d5b214b63_b.jpg

How did that happen? Looked at it under my 800x magnifier, damn it looks like I hit it with a coarse file. Still, moving on, splashed on the glazing putty, it was filled, sanded, polished and re-sprayed in an hour. It is currently going to dry overnight as I am unfamiliar with Tamiya rattle can lacquer so wont risk a gloss coat till its had twenty four hours to dry.

44752095890_70ca0a40ca_b.jpg

Now didn't I start another model last week?

More tomorrow

Cheers

Anil

• Like 2

Looking back at your previous pic of the underside, it appears to have happened around then? Ah well, these things are apparently sent to try us... Like you need that in your life eh? :(

At least you spotted it now and are making progress in fixing it!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Looking back at your previous pic of the underside, it appears to have happened around then? Ah well, these things are apparently sent to try us... Like you need that in your life eh? :(

At least you spotted it now and are making progress in fixing it!

You've got great eyesight Clive, you're spot on, I zoomed in and the graunching was present. In retrospect, I 

• Haha 3

A small update, I wanted a really shiny propeller: I got a really, really, really shiny propeller! 

46585227551_a2a953eb06_b.jpg

The white marks on the prop blade are just some fluff. My Alclad Aqua Gloss is drying so decalling starts in about two hours , and dont worry @CedB, the decals will be in the "best possible taste"...

Anil

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Woohoooooo!!!

Its blue, its shiny, its capable of stopping the hearts of any rivet counter ( FYI the prop is 2 mm too small!), and I lurvrrrrve her! Yeah baby this is my kind of modelling: Fun, fun, fun.   

46580180512_afc58b44be_b.jpg

So to recap, clipped tips, re-profiled and Alclad chrome spinner/prop fronts (with rears in matt black!), new pitot, . Paints were Tamiya TS50 & TS54, Slightly delicate homemade RR badges, decals from a Nascar pace car set and Eduard

steel belts.  So what have I learnt?

• Tamiya rattle can paint is much more delicate than you would think
  • Early "new Airfix" is well hokey 
  • Daco red is the master of the thick decal
  • Mr Surfacer 1500 is a gift from the Modelling Gods
  • You can get a shiny metal appearance on plastix but you need to micromesh the sunovabeyotch to get ye desired  mirror finish
  • You should definitely  kick off the first week of a new year with a finish

Now to throw the next victim on to the modelling skillet, the Sixties calls to me, mainly 'cos that when I popped into this Mortal Coil...

RFI and silly backstory here,

Mazeltov!

Anil The Goy With Extra Oy!

• Like 8

Enough of this two tone silliness, as Mr Mainwairing would say,

Ready to go for tomorrow morning:

46652792761_28a191ac8e_b.jpg

And the markings will be this snazzy red trimmed scooter as soon as the Big H posts my decals,

45928042634_d18bbb7481_b.jpg

A small update on my neglected FW190 and and its time to read this months Airfix mag with a nice glass of Glenmorangie founders reserve. 

Toodle pip styrene fondlers everywhere

Pvt. Pike ( Retd.)

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Don't normally do jets, but I'll stick around and see how this one pans out!

Me' I'do anything except tanks that is. My first thoughts were to do this one

TA-4B-SKYHAWK-compressor.jpg

but I went blue happy on this, hence a proper camo after the XIX, lest people think I'm not a "proper modeller" 😂 

top2.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CedB said:

I've one of those in the stash from the Falklands set - carry on, oh wise one :) 

It seems like a good little kit, hoping the fit will be better than the ones so far. If memory serves this where "New Airfix" started getting their act together. I notice its been re-issued in Vietnam markings. I need to clear my pile of these AF kits as I'm  getting jolly excited by the impending 1/72 Buccaneer in September, mind you the new Mig 17 might be a good pal for my Vietnam (?) era Scooter as well. 

Must say Airfix seem to have bit the bullet and gone all out, including all the older re-issue. The investor in me was thinking that Phoenix were going to sell them on again after the dismal group profits for the past few years, instead they've committed some decent funding, lets hope for the best and I'll be buying quite a few out of nostalgia as well the newer stuff.

And remember wisdom comes to those who can lay off the  Merlot for at least 48 hours...🍷

• Like 3

Time for some updates: First off the usual AF miniature parts and giant runner attachments

31746633997_0dbd21c8e7_b.jpg

31746638067_06d7634317_b.jpg

31746643147_f04962ce50_b.jpg

I imagine without a dedicated micro saw, this would not have been pleasant. Interior assemblies all done and painted:

39723250933_79c3232ec6_b.jpg

46635320682_5b02c7bafd_b.jpg

As its mostly OOB, no etch belts etc, again closed canopy so will will see? A tip for installing the intake/compressor fan assembly. Thin the mounting strip on the intake and dry fit. Then use slow setting poly glue and manhandle intake so it locates on both sides of the fuselage receiving strips while taping up fuselage and don't add the cockpit or jet pipe yet as they are as equally fiddly, one assembly at a time, slow setting poly and tape up while interior parts dry, then close up but make sure you have the wings ready first, you'll see why in the next post.

45773009385_4a708cff20_b.jpg

Wings are faff if doing gears up and slats closed ( as its in flight these would pretty much be closed unless the speed dropped to stall levels). A big gap on the port side and some minor ones else where, All easily fixed though.

46688188281_a84fd0a344_b.jpg

39723262953_981b788e15_b.jpg

Well I'll be zipping her up shortly as I'm off to Liverpool to do Art this weekend, should be in the paint shop next week and in the cabinet by the end of next week as well, I got build fever baby!

Anil

• Like 4