Kingfisher Miniatures 1:76 Landrover Lightweight IIa

Slywolff

Hello,

I bought this kit after seeing a built example on the Kingfisher Miniatures stand at Telford in 2011, I thought this vehicle would go well with some RAF types... hey it looked good on the stand! However the flimsy packaging contained some nicely detailed 1:76 parts but which were pitted with bubbles and quite extreme flash.... certainly around the lower parts. I started then stopped this after feeling quite disenchanted with the kit, however I am sort of glad to have persevered, yes I know the kit is not meant for beginners I get that and the kits have lovely detail but the parts were rough going and good reference comes in handy. I did get to learn a lot about this vehicle from the web... but thanks to some time off house and cat sitting this got restarted... and I am glad I did... not sure I will again though!

I want to paint it in that Mid Olive Green with yellow stripes on it....

Dm6seQl.jpg

3zKflAj.jpg

FdhDYs3.jpg

puv1l9J.jpg

9C4Ga6t.jpg

gdm3EWc.jpg

This is the type of scheme I would like to do!!

TQiGHM4.jpg

2t1BvES.jpg

Edited by Slywolff

Yikes, I know the Lightweight was meant to be utilitarian rather than a looker, but those kit parts look challenging.  I look forward to seeing how your model progresses, your work seems like a joy of filing & filling so far!!

Cheers

Will

19 minutes ago, malpaso said:

Yikes, I know the Lightweight was meant to be utilitarian rather than a looker, but those kit parts look challenging.  I look forward to seeing how your model progresses, your work seems like a joy of filing & filling so far!!

Cheers

Will

You can see why I was put off building this kit.... hm..... joy... perseverance more like it or stubbornness.... well that's what modelling can be about!! 🙂  Hope to get some paint on it this weekend...

• Like 1

Hello there,

Finding time to sit after work and model is really relaxing... why didn't I do this years ago!!!!! I chose Humbrol 86 as the colour of choice through elimination of anything remotely looking not like the colour in the photos I have.... unfortunately this is an old.. old tin!!! and the airbrush struggled with the thinned paint... not a great result (I bought a new tin today!!). Since these photos I painted the various interior parts... it's coming together!!

8obaO71.jpg

MGFjyZl.jpg

9exHU60.jpg

I used rubber bands to bond the hardtop to the body... glued the parts with super glue.... worked a treat then when removing the rubber bands I snapped the end of the exhaust off!! last seen flying through the air into the thin air..... insert swear words here..

0EmrMCO.jpg

At some stage, date and location unknown, I snapped off and lost one of the kit axles... which I replaced with a bit of stretched sprue!!

7heUDfN.jpg

These are the kit wheels... I did not fancy cleaning these up, so a fellow modeller kindly donated some Airfix wheels from their Bloodhound/Landrover kit...

65m2z6W.jpg

Only problem is the hole to take the connection to the vehicle are smaller than the ones on this resin kit, easily fixed just drilled them out with a 1/8 drill bit...

a4Zs9kd.jpg

Edited by Slywolff
To insert text...
  • Like 1

Oh, that's just nasty!  I would have been tempted to cross-breed with a JB/Airfix kit for chassis and interior parts.  Body still needs a rescue mission, though.  A hard partition between cab and body is unlikely: even FFRs only had Dexion-type rails across.  Its probably there to stop the sides bowing when cooling.

Ack! You're bringing pack suppressed memories of my struggle with their Defender Wolf! Same problems all around. Bubbles, pitting, short shots, flash. I gave up on the basic vehicle as it was becoming more putty than resin. Wound up converting a JB Land Rover and even with all that entailed, it was actually easier. The kits white metal parts fit perfectly, however. They've got some interesting subjects, but the execution is tragic. You're making a good effort, Hope it smooths out from here. 

Edited by gamevender

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2018 at 3:59 PM, malpaso said:

Cheers

Will

Hi Will,

All done please see below...

On 9/6/2018 at 10:05 PM, gamevender said:

Ack! You're bringing pack suppressed memories of my struggle with their Defender Wolf! Same problems all around. Bubbles, pitting, short shots, flash. I gave up on the basic vehicle as it was becoming more putty than resin. Wound up converting a JB Land Rover and even with all that entailed, it was actually easier. The kits white metal parts fit perfectly, however. They've got some interesting subjects, but the execution is tragic. You're making a good effort, Hope it smooths out from here. 

Thanks..... so you know how I feel then!! Horrid kit... wish I had never set eyes on it now!! blech......

All done, glued on the replacement Airfix Landrover kit wheels and scratch built replacement front mirrors! No number plates because I can't be bothered working on this any further so I am calling it done, wish in hindsight, I had not bought this rudimentary kit!! However all done and no windows either I'll live with it.. happy days! 🙂

veVCuM7.jpg

6kk0RrD.jpg

0SK0As1.jpg

Lyl6Kzu.jpg

NnQz0Q3.jpg

b82XrHg.jpg

JxIfRYZ.jpg

pO1Ff2o.jpg

• Like 5

Wow now that’s shocking, they actually charge money for that?. Silver lining and all that, your stamina has shown through when most including me would have given up ages ago👏

Steve.