1/35 Russian Diorama 'Liquid Liberation'

This is my 1/35 Russian diorama. I used MiniArt Vehicles and a Zvezda Motorbike and sidecar. Took lots of trial and error to get the groundwork and foliage right. The figurers were heavily modified or scratchbuilt. All in all it took seven months to finish. the build article is in the Airfix Model World diorama feature magazine:

44320796952_7015098d6f_h.jpgDSC_6523 by Dave Oliver, on Flickr

43462896655_edb7703384_h.jpgDSC_6532 by Dave Oliver, on Flickr

42561376340_26befeab3e_h.jpgDSC_6527 by Dave Oliver, on Flickr

29433549597_1d301db331_h.jpgDSC_6539 by Dave Oliver, on Flickr

• Like 26

Hi Dave,

You sometimes wait an age for a cracking diorama to come along and then you get 3 utterly superb ones in a single day.

This is 1 of those 3.

I'm not surprised that there was some trial and error with the foliage. I doubt anyone gets it right first time. What you've ended up with is very effective though. I assume the creepers are PE or laser-cut paper leaves? The other dioramas I saw today also featured excellent foliage, but tended towards the use of naturals - which is also highly effective but tends to detriorate in a relatively short time, even after treatment. Nowadays I try to steer clear of naturals unless we're talking wood and herb scatter. In short, your foliage will still look good in ten years time.

As for everything else..... simply stunning. Great composition, fantastic figures, wonderfully painted with a lovely colour palette. It amazes me that it only took you 7 months to build TBH. That would take me a year or more and still not be a match for yours!

And now, after gushing over your diorama,  I'm going to raise one tiny issue, just because I'm sure you'd appreciate something other than pages full of praises!

So... the pile of bricks and rubble at the corner of the wall. Personally, I'd have expected to see some finer brick rubble, mortar, and dust spilled out over the cobbles.

That's it. Feel free to really 'lay into' one of mine when they are finished!

Finally, congrats on your build being featured in the magazine. You must be very proud.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Badder said:

As for everything else..... simply stunning. Great composition, fantastic figures, wonderfully painted with a lovely colour palette. It amazes me that it only took you 7 months to build TBH. That would take me a year or more and still not be a match for yours!

And now, after gushing over your diorama,  I'm going to raise one tiny issue, just because I'm sure you'd appreciate something other than pages full of praises!

So... the pile of bricks and rubble at the corner of the wall. Personally, I'd have expected to see some finer brick rubble, mortar, and dust spilled out over the cobbles.

That's it. Feel free to really 'lay into' one of mine when they are finished!

Finally, congrats on your build being featured in the magazine. You must be very proud.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks for the constructive criticism, I had my own misgivings about the pile of rubble! I tried to make it look like it had been there for a while, so any brick dust or debris would have been swept away. It's something I'm not totally happy with and may well try and rectify it in future. Thanks. Dave

• Like 1

• 4 months later...