1/144 Zvezda Emirates Boeing 777-200LR

This is the first model I've built exclusively, from opening the box to photographing the finished model, without wandering off and starting something else. I started it at the beginning of July, so a couple of months, which is pretty fast for me!

As has been usual over the past few models it is another conversion but a very simple one this time. The fuselage has been shortened, the tail skid and the stiffener arm on the main landing gear removed. Apart from that it's an almost OOB build except for the decals which are mainly the -300 sheet from 26. I found there is a difference in the size of the main titling between the -300 and the -200 but the titles from the 26 A380 decal are a perfect size for the -200 so I used those. The decals performed flawlessly as expected. The 'Boeing 777-200LR' below the cockpit windows I printed on a laser printer. Cockpit and cabin windows are, of course, from Authentic Airliners Decals.

Detailing is the excellent Metallic Details brass etch which I used mainly to detail the main landing gear and for the pitots and antennas.

Paint is Halfords Appliance White and Racking Grey.

Here are some pics.

44367143851_4ce7bb20ee_o.jpg

44367131511_fbaf9c1ab3_o.jpg

44367142881_7a9572fb2c_o.jpg

44367130861_e5caf87129_o.jpg

44367125861_a65bbc804d_o.jpg

44367129041_ec0b099ab0_o.jpg

44367127301_b2f4cb079c_o.jpg

44367132491_15d28f5658_o.jpg

44367124551_88a6329fac_o.jpg

Hope you like it and thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Absolutely magnificent Ian.  Well done and thanks for sharing.  

Like John I'm tempted to try the conversion myself but I'm nowhere near finishing anything just now and I really must clear the bench before starting another model.  It looks like there might be something in the highly unconventional idea of only building one model at a time!

Dave G

Thanks for the replies everyone!

It really is such an easy conversion I think everybody should do at least one and as we all agree the -200 is a better looking plane!

17 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

It looks like there might be something in the highly unconventional idea of only building one model at a time!

15 hours ago, Britman said:

what a great idea, one model at a time! Haha.

Yes it did make quite a refreshing change but I don't think I'll be able to keep up with it as I've still got loads on my bench needing to be finished.

However, I did buy another Revell 777 the other day so you never know. I feel another -200 conversion coming on!

13 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Lovely job Ian, was the satcom/wifi antenna also included in the antenna set of scratch built?

Thanks Ray, yes I forgot to mention the sitcom/wifi antenna. It was scratchbuilt from a couple of pieces of plasticard laminated together then sanded to shape. I wanted to include it as they're all fitted with them now. It could have been left off and still been accurate as they haven't always been fitted with them.

12 hours ago, stringbag said:

(Show-off) :tease:

:lalala:

Just you wait until you finish your Airbus or Trident Chris!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Turbofan said:

This is the first model I've built exclusively, from opening the box to photographing the finished model, without wandering off and starting something else.

I'm most impressed with that statement Ian. Wish I could do that!

What an absolutely stunning model of a 777, although I'm not really surprised given some of your other RFI's I've seen over the months.

Cheers

Terry

wow - that's a beaut of a wide body - its good to see what this kit turns out to look like as mine is still in pieces and buried in the attic after a few builds of the old Eastern Express 777 and Braz conversion builds which left me a bit 777'ed out.

Those decals really make it loo the part - having asked about at my club, the general consensus about using flight deck decals with pilots came up with a 50/50 love hate for the things but I am a big fan of using them except they add extra cost the build. 

I guess that being from Worsely, you probably see these for real up at Manchester airport. A real nice model from your workbench there Ian.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

On 8/31/2018 at 4:20 PM, Gimme Shelter said:

wow - that's a beaut of a wide body - its good to see what this kit turns out to look like as mine is still in pieces and buried in the attic after a few builds of the old Eastern Express 777 and Braz conversion builds which left me a bit 777'ed out.

Those decals really make it loo the part - having asked about at my club, the general consensus about using flight deck decals with pilots came up with a 50/50 love hate for the things but I am a big fan of using them except they add extra cost the build. 

I guess that being from Worsely, you probably see these for real up at Manchester airport. A real nice model from your workbench there Ian.

You really must dig it out and build it right away! It knocks spots off the EE/Minicraft kit apart from being accurate the engineering is just superb. I forgot to mention the turbines even revolve when you blow on the front of the engine!

I know I do tend to bang on about the AA windows decals and it took me a long time to come round to the idea but they make such a dramatic difference to the look of a model and really 'bring it to life', I just can't see me ever going back to either clear cabin windows or plain grey decal windows.

Well you'd be right that we do have Emirates 777s at MAN but they're always the -300s not -200s.

On 9/1/2018 at 10:05 PM, stevej60 said:

That's stunning Ian,would love to be able to build Airliner's full stop let alone that standard!

Steve, if you try one of these Zvezda kits it's very hard not to make a nice airliner, they're lovely kits that just go together so well!I

I've got another one but I can't decide whether to build it as another LR, a Freighter or to do some more work and build it as a -200 or ER ie with different engines. I guess it'll come down to which livery I like most in the end!

On 9/2/2018 at 12:43 AM, Calum said:

great looking 777 there Ian. Love the layout as well

Thanks Callum, my photography baseboard is really getting tired now, each time I get it out to photograph my latest model it needs repairing so I'm working on a new improved version which won't need much maintenance.

On 9/2/2018 at 1:02 PM, woody37 said:

Gorgeous Ian, you make these tube liners look simple but I know different!

great scheme and conversion, the extra detailing brings it to life :)

Thanks Neil, as I said above it really helps to have such a great kit to start with. This is why I tend to stick with AA and Zvezda etc and try to avoid ancient Airfix airliners.

With respect to the extra detailing I think you're the expert there! Loving the work you are putting into your Stirling!I

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1