Put a Face to your Name Mk.II

Mike

As promised, I'm not posting a pic of me with my Covid-beard.  But here's one of me taken about 10yrs ago, when I'd lost weight and didn't realise I was type-1

diabetic. I'm about a 10kgs heavier now.   I think we were playing 'Sweet leaf' by Black Sabbath here. Beer clouded my memory of when the photos were taken.

fJBm5bI.jpg

Edited by Badder
  • Like 10

On 12/07/2020 at 03:38, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

but I'm out if good hair product currently to really get it to stand up all the way. 

21 hours ago, Badder said:

Anyway, what we all ended up using to style our hair was good old 'sugar water', that our fathers used to style their quiffs in THEIR youth. Youngsters today have probably never heard of it, but it was as good as free, and worked extremely well, creating very stiff spikes and hair that would stay precisely where it was 'placed'.

The only downside to using sugar-water was if you got caught in a summer shower, the re-wetted sugar would attract wasps which would chase you around. The re-wetted sugar could also get into your mouth and tasted quite nice, but not good if you're diabetic.

Hmm, the two method I used  for spiky hair, a long time ago I should add..

Soap, get bar, slightly wet,  so you get a soap paste, works well for spikes.  cheap and easy.  disadvantage, can make your eyes sting in the rain...

Egg White, dry with a hairdryer.  More bother than soap. Used for the brief time I had a mohawk (late 83)

Longer hair could get softer spike bay back combing, think Siouxsie and Robert Smith in the early 80's.

21 hours ago, Badder said:

I just had a thought, that one might be able to use thin CA for the same effect.  Give both a go Dennis and let us know how you get on?

there was an story, possibly apocryphal,  in the early 80's about a employee/trainee at Rolls Royce who spiked his hair with superglue, as was told it was a health hazard...

• Like 1

I was a bit too old for punk, I was more a prog rock era - looong hair and flares!

I'll play with the "Here's me in a cockpit" shot thing, here's me in the FO's seat of Lockheed Electra G-LOFD, April 2006 on my last flight with Atlantic to Sweden delivering car components.

resized_458c7828-239b-4177-92e2-4964f152

I'm a lot greyer these days!

Dave

Edited by Coors54
  • Like 11

Gidday All, you punks and goths make me seem very conservative by comparison. But then I think those fashions came about just a few years too late for me. Besides, I think my parents would have drawn the line there.

But I liked heavy metal music, including Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Status Quo, Deep Purple, Alice Cooper etc. I still like a lot of it. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My favorite song by Sabbath, good to have a face to go with the name. 

Well, TBH I thought if you yourself felt no shame, why should I?🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2020 at 8:59 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My favorite song by Sabbath, good to have a face to go with the name. 

Either their title song or Hand of Doom for me, with Mr Ward smashing the hell out of the kit.

• Like 2

Alright I am joining this thread with a picture of me that fits to my nickname. I guess I don´t need to explain where it was taken but I have to thank that unknown visitor of the Hendon museum back in July 2018 for taking it.

y4mVHoQTcSx6CNbCQmS1wANzyDmu9a_We9kt-QTx

Edited by 112 Squadron
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, never said I was normal! 

94777089_3701633673244468_81579790494576

me driving my wagon at war and peace revival 2019 :D 

Edited by WYATT
  • Like 2

The avatar photo is getting old now (aren't we all?), so here is my most recent pic, taken accidentally (!) as I tried to figure out how to use the camera on my new iPhone.

The modeller formerly known as MadNurseGaz now looks like this:

spacer.png

I've lost a bit of weight since the avatar shot, due to a major effort following a life(style)-changing medical diagnosis . . .

• Like 8

Always been meaning to post in here. 

This is me in full lockdown, attempting to fill the void of social interaction by mumbling incoherently at a Rockwell Commander.

2021-03-11_02-33-34

• Like 7

Here's a couple of me:

This first one was from August of 2020. COVID measures had eased up enough during the summer of 2020 that we could have something of a holiday not too far from home. We reserved half an hour in historic clothes and walked around the grounds of a chateau like we owned the place:

FWpqm8G.jpg

This was taken at the open day of our local airport in 2019. I'm posing with OK-AJW, a former Slovak air force L-29 Delfin trainer now on the Czech civil register and locally based:

DF7hD9g.jpg

• Like 10

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HI all

An olde farte now retired and getting into my long time hobby of model building

This is my model display cabinet (shelves made by my dear old Mum) taken back in around 1968 when I was just a teen.  

a3dkdhbicms61.png

I was pretty pleased with the Yamato ion the top shelf! Didnt realise my preference for mainly German aircraft in 1:72 scale at the time!

Time has flown but Ive always enjoyed modelling- in between career and family commitments.  Now Im retired and getting time to do more.

Ive recently discovered the world of "aftermarket" and PE.  As well, the quality of kits now is soo much better than those early Revell and Airfix kits that we bought at the local Coles supermarket for about $2- in a plastic bag.....

Also now getting into dioramas and hve seen the awesome quality sets that serious modellers produce- makes me super envious but my fat fingers and limited patience will limit the quality I could ever produce.  But it wont stop me trying.

My preference is for WWII aircraft and ground support vehicles in 1:48 and 1;72 scale- but I will try just about anything.  My largest kit is an old Revell 1:32 scale Phantom F4 (which was actually my son's, but he threw it away- so I salvaged it, and have been tinkering with some aftermarket and scratch built improvements).  

I have a stash of 1:48 and 1:72 kits to get thru atm. and have recently set myself up with a workshop with some handy hobby goodies which I am gradually refining and building on.

This is me listening to my wife telling me I need to get a life beyond playing with plastic models....

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 16

Gidday Olde Farte, (surely you have another name?), welcome aboard. It's heartwarming to see that you listen avidly to every word from the good lady wife.

And nice display cabinet. Besides Yamato, you have USS Fletcher and what looks like Cutty Sark?

Anyway, regards from the western bit of Oz, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Olde Farte, (surely you have another name?), welcome aboard. It's heartwarming to see that you listen avidly to every word from the good lady wife.

And nice display cabinet. Besides Yamato, you have USS Fletcher and what looks like Cutty Sark?

Anyway, regards from the western bit of Oz, Jeff.

Wow!- a message from "the other side" lol. :P Nice to see another man from Oz on the site!

My missus would crack me on the back of the head if she saw my comment... :P 

Yes correct re Fletcher and Cutty Sark.  Not really into ships or  sailing ships but, my father was given an original watercolour of the Cutty Sark by artist and author Ray Parkin- a WW2 survivor of the HMAS Perth sinking, and POW vet (like my Dad now 100 and still going strong) .  I have always loved the painting too.  If I ever do another ship- it will be the Cutty Sark-in some larger scale format, and, of course the mighty Yamato! (and maybe the Bizmark, Missouri...etc etc). :D 

• Like 1

Gidday again, was your father on HMAS Perth? I've heard of Ray Parkin, when I was researching the ship to build a model of her. I'm into ships almost exclusively, mainly Airfix 1/600 scale, which are becoming almost impossible to get in my part of the world now. Still, I probably have enough in the stash to see me out. I'm 64 so probably have only about 50 years of model making left. 😁

I made a model on the cruiser HMAS Perth from a converted Airfix Ajax kit many years ago. It's a bit basic, but I like it. She's one of my earlier conversions. I've done HMAS Perth II also, from an Airfix Rommel kit. And I have a Monogram Cutty Sark in the stash. That might get done next year.

I posted on this thread (face to a name mkII) on page 5, about 40% of the way down the page, if you want to see what an ancient has-been looks like. Anyway, enough about me, this is your intro, not mine. Speaking of introductions, you can start a thread back one stage from here, and discuss things in general a bit further if you like. Looking forward to seeing more of you work.

Regards, Jeff.

On 14/08/2020 at 04:10, TonyOD said:

I'm not quite a new member now, but I like this pic - me at the crash site of De Havilland DH-89 Dominie "Merlin V" on Scafell Pike earlier this week. Relevant to one of my WIP's if you're interested. Cheers.

spacer.png

new member- trolling thru posts (stalking!!)  saw this one- intrigued that bits of the aircraft are still there- didnt ASB investigate the crash?  I thought they always came and gathered up the bits to recreate in a secret hanger somewhere!!