Put a Face to your Name Mk.II

Mike

This is me at a Battle of Britain Memorial Flight "technical day" at RAF Coningsby a few years ago. It was a full day in the hangar and a classroom outside the flying season, when they are stripping and maintaining the planes. It was meant to last six hours but I was there nine. Absolutely amazing day, and wonderful to see these iconic planes up close and learn so much about them from the technicians who know them intimately.

I have less hair nowadays. Not baldness, I shaved it all off a few weeks ago after a failed attempt at a lockdown haircut by my son.

spacer.png

• Like 7

Hello Everyone,

I had to search high and low on my computer because I'm generally the one behind the lens. I'm in the middle of these lovely chaps at my USAF retirement way back when August 93.

Bill-Myself-Bill

I had not grown much from my youth. When working on a B-52D, I could get into and out of the tightest places. Now jump forward a number of years to the Airplane restaurant in Colorado Springs Colorado.

KC-97-Denise-N-I

Can say the food was good and my better half enjoyed it also. We sat up in the fuselage section. Now finally last fall before the virus and lockdown hit in the new year. This is what my children and grandchildren think of who I am.

MeGrillSgt

Well this is me and what I've become. Older and not to sure about the wiser half of the statement.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 13

Well I made the mistake recently of mentioning that Im sporting a Mohawk to a few members. Probably not the wisest thing to do on a U.K. Forum, where punk pretty much began.  @fatfingers, @Bullbasket, & @Pete in Lincs asked me to post a photo, I finally got around to it. Im sorry its kind of mushy and leaning but I'm out if good hair product currently to really get it to stand up all the way. MWMnX2O.jpg
It looks shorter here because of the mushiness but its pretty long actually. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 23
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well I made the mistake recently of mentioning that Im sporting a Mohawk

I've been saying for years that I'm not bald, it's a reverse Mohawk. :nod:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Gorby said:

I've been saying for years that I'm not bald, it's a reverse Mohawk. :nod:

I had a sticker in the back of the car saying..." I'm not bald it's a solar panel for a sex machine" ........ Mrs. Jenko told me in no uncertain works to remove it............. something to do with the trade descriptions act  :analintruder:

Dick

• Haha 11

Gidday All, this is me in November 1974, just finished my last year of High School, and with a model of USS North Carolina BB55 I'd built that year. The model was scratch-built from balsa, matches, tooth picks and wood shavings. My sole reference for the build was a plastic model that I scaled up.

NC jm20

And nearly 46 years later, here's me again with the same model. 

NC jm70 2020

As you can see, 46 years of cobwebs, dust and neglect, and looking the worst for wear. And so is the model.

SWMBO says I need a haircut.

"Which one? 😀"

"All of them! 😠"                         I've probably shocked you all enough, now. Regards to all, and stay safe, Jeff.

• Like 23
  • Haha 7

16 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

this is me in November 1974, just finished my last year of High School, and with a model of USS North Carolina BB55 I'd built that year. The model was scratch-built from balsa, matches, tooth picks and wood shavings. My sole reference for the build was a plastic model that I scaled up.

NC jm20

Seriously impressive build sir. :worthy:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not quite a new member now, but I like this pic - me at the crash site of De Havilland DH-89 Dominie "Merlin V" on Scafell Pike earlier this week. Relevant to one of my WIP's if you're interested. Cheers.

spacer.png

• Like 11

No one is seeing me right now. I have COVID-Beard and not only is it only the 2nd time in my 55yrs that I've tried to grow a full beard, but this one has been a success, or is that a failure? I last had a shave in March and it's not seen so much as a trimmer or even a comb, brush, or garden rake. My hair, of which I have a full head, is similarly wild.

However, if anyone would like a photo of my beard and accept the challenge of finding the 1/35th scale axe, sledgehammer and shovel missing from my Tiger tank for me, I will consider posting it.

• Haha 7

On 7/12/2020 at 3:38 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I finally got around to it. Im sorry its kind of mushy and leaning but I'm out if good hair product currently to really get it to stand up all the way. 
It looks shorter here because of the mushiness but its pretty long actually. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

In my youth I was one of only a handful of lads at my school who was into Heavy Metal, but whilst I dressed appropriately with the essential 'cut off' denim jacket covered in patches, artwork and studs, my main circle of friends were 'Goths'. I was therefore influenced by their fashion sense and 'stole' some of their 'Goth' characteristics, including wearing a hundred thin silver bangles on one wrist and having spiked-up hair, and a long spikey fringe that would almost over the eyes. (I won't mention the wearing of black eye-liner ... ooops, I mentioned it) Anyway, my hair ended up being a kind of mullet, but with a long spikey fringe that came down to the bridge of my nose and a 'double mohawk' with spiked up hair along each side of my scalp. They weren't long, about 2 inches in height, but it was a devil of an effect to achieve using hair products of the day, plus it became very expensive because it took a lot of gunk to do it, and would need 'repairing' constantly throughout the day and night.

Anyway, what we all ended up using to style our hair was good old 'sugar water', that our fathers used to style their quiffs in THEIR youth. Youngsters today have probably never heard of it, but it was as good as free, and worked extremely well, creating very stiff spikes and hair that would stay precisely where it was 'placed'.

The only downside to using sugar-water was if you got caught in a summer shower, the re-wetted sugar would attract wasps which would chase you around. The re-wetted sugar could also get into your mouth and tasted quite nice, but not good if you're diabetic.

With many of us former punks, goths and rockers (and indeed new romantics.... cough) in lockdown, and shielded, it's the perfect time to mess about with your hair and recapture one's youth. So, I'd suggest that you try sugar-water Dennis.

For others who might be interested in using this, it's made by boiling water, pouring it into a cup and immediately adding lots of sugar to it, stirring all the while.  Keep adding the sugar until the water can no longer dissolve any more. At that point the water is fully saturated with sugar and has a very slight syrup-like feel. One then applies it to areas of hair which need to be spiked. The solution dries fairly quickly so it's a case of looking in the mirror and holding spikes in place whilst the sugar water dries. The spikes dry so hard there's almost a danger of stabbing oneself.

I just had a thought, that one might be able to use thin CA for the same effect.  Give both a go Dennis and let us know how you get on?

Badder.

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 3:59 AM, Badder said:

last had a shave in March and it's not seen so much as a trimmer or even a comb, brush, or garden rake. My hair, of which I have a full head, is similarly wild.

Sounds as though you look a bit like Jon Pertwee in 'Carry on Cleo'....

Edited by Vince1159
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Sounds as though you look a bit like Jon Pertwee in 'Carry on Cleo'....

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

More like Catweazle:wicked:

More like Jon Pertwee in Carry on screaming! Except my beard hasn't come unstuck on one side and is hanging down.

1ik0P3e.gif

Edited by Badder
  • Haha 3

On 7/5/2020 at 8:16 PM, Ozzy said:

I'm bottom left on the leaflet, building a Lego Beetle at an event at Bovington.

image.jpg

That looks like a catalogue pose Clive.  'Man pointing at lego car whilst wearing Littlewood's gentleman's smoking jacket'.

• Haha 3

I'm going to have to ban people from posting their mugshots smugly ensconsed in a cockpit, as I've never sat in a cockpit before :crying:

@Corsairfoxfouruncle I can't tell which way you have your head up in that photo - you have spikes going up and down :hmmm:

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, Mike said:

I've never sat in a cockpit before

Come on Mike, you must have your photo sitting in an X-Wing!

26 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Come on Mike, you must have your photo sitting in an X-Wing!

I wish I did... it'd have to be a photoshop though, and it'd probably end up labelled Porkins 😭

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Mike said:

I'm going to have to ban people from posting their mugshots smugly ensconsed in a cockpit, as I've never sat in a cockpit before :crying:

@Corsairfoxfouruncle I can't tell which way you have your head up in that photo - you have spikes going up and down :hmmm:

Now thats a shame. because the photo of Markus above reminded me that i had this pic of me in the pilots seat of the BBMF Lanc, taken in 2011.

spacer.png

• Like 7