Weapons load on Hawker Hunter f6

fingers

I'm building the Academy f6 Hunter and am doing the 56 Squadron 1960 option. I was going to have a small fuel tank on the inner pylon and what I thought were Matra type 155 rocket launcher pods on the outers, are these pods accurate? Would this load out be correct? I can find little reference to a twelve barrel pod at all.

Thanks in advance. 

Dave

Hi Dave,

In asked a similar question about the FGA9 a little while ago, you may find this thread helpful or not, I'm not sure about the use of pods on the F6 to be honest...

Cheers

Simon

Edited by SimonR
  • Like 1

The F.6 and F.6A could carry M155 launchers (on the outer pylons) but only after Mod. 1257 had been embodied. This modification enabled the outer pylons to be used for the carriage of RP launchers or practice bombs. It also rendered inoperative the Hunter's ripple/normal and salvo size selector switches as the Matra's firing mode was pre-selected on the ground rather than by the pilot in the air.

I do have a Hunter modification manual somewhere which may tell us the date of Mod. 1257 but, for the life of me, I can find it at the moment. I believe the Matra pods came along in the mid '60s though so if you're modelling a Hunter in 1960 then it wouldn't be using the M155 at that stage.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the replies.

Would it be fair to say that the 1960 aircraft would be around in the mid sixties by the time that Mod. 1257 would/could have been installed and Hunters were being phased into a more all round role? If so that would allow me to carry out the initial intention i.e. inner small fuel tanks outer matra. I could also just have fuel tanks and no outer ordnance by blanking the holes (don't really want to as paint is on and went ok) or having empty pylon. What other load outs would be correct for the outer pylon? Also was there ever a twelve barreled Matra pod?

Dave

Looking at the OP’s question by the time Mod 1257 was applied to the Hunter 56 Squadron had converted to the Lightning so, to be accurate, AFAIK the only underwing stores his model should be toting are the 100 gallon tanks on the inner pylons.  (I could be wrong here, or I might be lying.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StephenMG said:

Personally for an F.6 of that period I'd go for 100 gallon tanks inboard and empty outer pylons.

Blow me I've just stripped the paint (just the required panels) and plugged the holes, doomed if you do doomed if you don;t.

• Like 1

56 Sqn. used Hunter F.6s for a relatively brief time between November 1958 (when the F-6 replaced the F.5) and January 1961, when the unit received the Lightning.

There are fortunately several pictures of 56 Sqn. Hunters and indeed the most common load is just the two tanks on the inner pylons. The only other load I've seen was... 4 tanks, using the outer pylons too. This configuration would have been likely only used for ferry flights

8 hours ago, fingers said:

Blow me I've just stripped the paint (just the required panels) and plugged the holes, doomed if you do doomed if you don;t.

Leave her with the two-pylon fit now you’ve done that!  The new Airfix Hunter is due soon-ish; you can do the “We’re all going on an APC” fit on that one.

• Like 1

I'm building exactly the same one in the Nato/Warsaw pact 60's group build and I asked the same question as the academy instructions aren't very clear, and got the same answers

That it would have only carried 100 gallon tanks on the inner pylons and nothing else

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

Leave her with the two-pylon fit now you’ve done that!  The new Airfix Hunter is due soon-ish; you can do the “We’re all going on an APC” fit on that one.

Sounds like a plan coming together.

Only 3hrs to plug, strip and paint just gotta get rid of that last blemish.😫

18 minutes ago, fingers said:

Sounds like a plan coming together.

Only 3hrs to plug, strip and paint just gotta get rid of that last blemish.😫

I’ve got some Errormaster and Xtradecal sheets just itching for the new Airfix Hunter.

It’s always that last little bit that takes forever isn’t it.  Happy polishing!

2 minutes ago, stever219 said:

I’ve got some Errormaster and Xtradecal sheets just itching for the new Airfix Hunter.

It’s always that last little bit that takes forever isn’t it.  Happy polishing!

Indeed!!!