Mixed Divisions and AOS Markings

Brasso27

Hi, 

As I'm sure most of you know Britain experimented with 'mixed' divisions between 1942 and 43, whereby one of the three infantry brigades in selected Infantry Divisions was dropped and replaced with an armoured brigade.  What I'm trying to find out is what Arm of Service markings would the new armoured brigade have used?

Did they retain their existing AOS markings, (a possibility as I understand most were independent brigades), or did the adopt the AOS markings of the brigade they'd replaced? If the latter, were they assigned AOS markings on the basis of their seniority, (e.g. red if they happened to be senior to the existing infantry brigades), or did they simply take on the markings of the brigade which had left, regardless of seniority?

Any help greatly appreciated. 

It's a good question, but honestly I have no definite answer.  If anyone would know it would be Dick Taylor and his Warpaint series of books - or someone who has copy of the volume that deals with markings of this period.  In searching out the author, I've just ordered the volume no. 4 from Bookdepository.

It might require a case by case study if it's a particular unit you are looking at, but if it is just a general question I'm not sure if it there would be a simple answer.

Saurian+1024a.jpg

The above study from Chris Meddings research does have the Churchill sporting both the formation sign and AoS symbol adopted from the 3rd infantry Div., the numbering would be 67,68,69 - so here the Churchill unit is senior.

regards,

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of seniority, Cavalry and Armoured Regts were usually considered to be 'senior' to line infantry Regts. Therefore, if an armoured brigade was transferred in, I would have assumed that it took on the 'red' senior brigade status (and possibly the relevant AoS codes for that brigade in an infantry division.

However, nothing in the British Army is ever logical :)

Regards,

John