This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Greg Law

CA kicker

Is there a CA kicker that doesn't just about kill you when you use it?

Four years ago I used a spray kicker that in fact just about killed me and I think I'm still suffering the effects now.

I accidentally breathed in when I sprayed it. I had real trouble breathing for weeks afterwards. So I have avoided it like the plague.

I need to do some rigging and saw a method that looked good using CA and CA kicker. 

I use ZipKicker. Don't spray it, that's a waste of expensive product (and as you found out, not conducive to good health)- I use a small cheap brush to drop a umm... drop next to the glue I'm setting. Sometimes I'll use a skewer or bit of wire or whatever's to hand. Repeat around the glue as required to set it all. My 60ml bottle has lasted me years.

Thanks Rob. I think that was the one that almost killed me. However, I would use it as you suggest. 

Most of the time I don't even apply it - I use a microbrush and just hold it next to the CA - as you found, it's pretty volatile and usually just the fumes are sufficient to set the CA

I am the same as Rob, I used to spray it but it was an overkill, mass of spray just for one minut spot...…….got more on my fingers than on the model...…………..I cannot afford the  bits of wire like Rob so reduced to using the tip of a cocktail stick...…………….I rarely use the kicker these days as I build a lot of resin models and relie heavily on bicarbonate soda, goes rock hard in mini secs, then you can sand it, drill it or whatever you want to do with it...….I just sprinkle a small amount on and the excess wipes of after a couple of secs with the tip of a scalpel

I've just bought a 400ml tin of Bond-It Super Glue Activator Spray off Amazon at £5.90. It's an aerosol, but I've decanted some of it and it is colourless, virtually odourless and works very well.

I personally stopped using kicker 20 years ago. I found all the connections i made with the combination were way more brittle  and almost always broke apart.