Geoffrey Futter Mulberry Harbour series of articles in Airfix magazine

Francis Macnaughton

I have the majority of the series of articles by Geoffrey Futter about Mulberry Harbour published in Airfix Magazine in the 1980s but am missing the final 2 from September 1983 and August 1984.  I haven't managed to find a source of those copies so far - Magazine Exchange is out of stock of them.  Can anyone advise me please what these last two articles contain, especially if there are any plans of parts of the structures like the ones in earlier episodes for the Phoenix caissons and the pierheads.

Many thanks

Hi Francis,

would those magazines have plan no. 14 and 15?  If so, I do have scans of those but not the whole magazines.  Send me a pm with your details if you want me to send those scans.

Mike

Do any of the articles (OR any book) show the actual number and types of units actually installed ?

The few maps that exist seem in such a small scale that one cannot tell the actual number/type of units.

There really is a hole in the market for a decent modelling book for, at least, the British Mulberry as units are available in 1/700th, 1/350th and 1/76th scales.

Mike - many thanks indeed for offer and pm sent

Phil - I know the bit on the Phoenix caissons gives numbers of each type built,  I'll look and see about the other items.  If you haven't already come across it, the Think Defence website has quite a bit on Mulberrry and uses several of the same drawings as Geoff Futter:  https://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/shore-logistics-d-day-beyond/designing-and-building-the-mulberry-harbour/

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi I’m posting on behalf of my 96 year old father. He worked on the Mulberry Harbours during WW2  and last year was helping student Jacob with his thesis on them. Jacob sent him photo copies of Geoffrey’s Airfix articals. Dad says he has parts 2 - 12 published between 1980 and 1984 and would love to add part 1 to complete them. He’s willing to do a swap coping the last two parts you need for a copy of part 1 if that could be arranged.

Many Thanks

Sue