White Hurricane, Red Stars !

12 minutes ago, Learstang said:

One thing to remember about weathering Soviet aircraft; the pilots habitually entered from the port side*, so the port wing root was normally much more weathered

I figured as much but i tried to demonstrate the crew would have mounted the starboard side and assisted the pilot, or performed maintenance, reloaded the wing guns, etc. its similar but i feel the port is more beat up. Maybe i will backfill the white in a bit ? 

2 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Looking good Dennis.  A well-used aircraft indeed!  Will you add some more white around the stars to fade it in a bit?

Thank you. Not sure yet on the fill in ive seen it both ways. White all the way up to the stars and white scrubbed back to reveal the stars and some of the wing ? That is what i was trying to achieve ? In reality im not sure if i will have time ? I cant pull the A/brush out before saturday due to life intruding. Maybe i will try Plastix’s brushing technique to fill the spaces ? 

• Like 1

You are correct about ground crew standing on the starboard side (at least they did on the Il-2), so some weathering is appropriate. I can see it is less than on the port side on your model, and of course the amount you wish to weather is up to you. I know I always have a bit of trouble figuring out how much to weather my winter-camouflaged Soviet aircraft. To be honest, on Soviet aircraft, depending on the aircraft, you can go from a rather pristine factory finish done with an airgun to field-applied jobs that look like they were swabbed on with a mop by a blind man. Always go by photographs if you have them is I suppose the best advice I can give.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

I plan on doing a Mig-3 in the white scheme with red stripe & lightning bolt. I also plan on a  I-16, in both summer and winter camouflage. Plus a Lagg-5, Lagg-7, Il-2(two seater), a spitfire, and at least a winterized P-40. In my future VVS builds. So im sure i will be calling on you again for info.  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

No problem, mate! I was just taking inventory of my winter-camouflaged Soviet aircraft - nine completed - five Il-2s, two LaGG-3s, one I-16, and one I-15bis. I have an Ar-2 I'm building that I might well do in the winter scheme, and I have two P-40s I'm working on in winter schemes. I also have a Bf 109G-6 in winter camouflage, which will no doubt in time be joined by other Axis aircraft (I do need to give my Soviet aircraft something to shoot down).

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Ok so I turned on @PlaStix‘s video and I worked on the white wash to fill in around the stars/numbers. It took about an hour of slowly working the paint and letting it dry. However I think its as good as its going to get. Heres a before shot.

ol2CYcF.jpg

After.

gfO6Fq6.jpg

The portside gave me the hardest trouble but i got it in the end.  Again before.

IOckZwS.jpg

And after.

0oYvZTO.jpg

Before.

PvYVoqw.jpg

After.

fzKzlez.jpg

I think it looks good but I will let others decide for themselves. 

Dennis

• Like 5

Coming to this party very late, its been interesting seeing the modifications to the wings being made and then removed without detriment to the surface finish, the discussion about the retention of various aspects of retention of the original RAF colour scheme and the application and weathering of of the paint finish, you've done a great job there Dennis and I'm pleased I took the time to read trough the thread.

Good stuff! :thumbsup2:

• Thanks 1

Dennis, she looks good! The only thing I might do is sand down the white paint around the stars a bit, especially on the fuselage - it looks a bit too thick and rough to these old eyes.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

I was able to spray a satin coat this afternoon. It really softened the paint so im happy about that. Last up is the canopy, rockets and rails, landing gear, prop, antenna, and pitot. Should be able to knock that out tonight and tomorrow maybe saturday. I will post photo’s but they wont look much different than the last post. Just a touch flatter. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Ok as promised earlier here are some photos. I did a second go with some 1500 wet/dry to try and knock the white wash back. I lost some but not as much as i thought i would. The satin coat smoothed out the rest. It isn't perfect but im happy with it. 

nFQGdi3.jpg

DmcBUI4.jpg

eFYDu1k.jpg

wYv9AD7.jpg

I painted the prop tonight its drying and will be placed on tomorrow with the gear, antenna, & pitot. I will build & paint the Rockets/rails that I recieved from Learstang. Those should be good for tomorrow night or Saturday. 

Dennis

• Like 6

Well done, love the weathered white finish.

This has been a very interesting build to watch, I've learnt quite a few things I didn't know about the Hurricane in Soviet service and also a new technique.

Thanks for taking part in this GB and thanks to Troy and Jason for contributing their knowledge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are going to weather it further, remember that the Merlin leaks oil and the underside will be pretty black.  Because of the position of the wheel wells this means a fairly distinctive sloping black pattern on the lower region of the wheel doors, which looks to be at a slightly odd slope because of the adjustment during retraction.

Edited by Graham Boak
Making clearer. Hopefully.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/29/2018 at 7:47 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Chris & Jason @dogsbody & @Learstang. Thanks for the Hb mig-3 option. It sounds good and had i thought of this build 2 weeks ago would have been easy to do. Sadly my next budget allotment will be at Christmas, and beyond any use for this build. If i go with the rockets i will probably just scratch build the rails. I have plastic, brass, and a reasonable bit of intelligence so it shouldn't be to hard. 

Dennis

you will probably want this as a reference. it not only gives size and shape , but color.

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Research/Ordnance/RS_Rockets/index.php

• Thanks 1