White Hurricane, Red Stars !

Well-said regarding the use of British aeroplanes by other air forces, Giorgio! And about the scale of the fighting on the Eastern Front - the Battle of the Bulge was considered a huge battle in the West, but the Eastern Front featured about ten battles at least as big every year for four years. I agree a Hampden would be nice, but how about an Albermarle in Soviet markings? Now there's something you don't see everyday!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 3

Sadly i will have to say i will see you on the 29th. Between all the Doctors and the long distance driving involved this week. I haven't had the energy to get in the office since Tuesday. I will have to spend tomorrow an hour away at a family member’s and taxi them around. They are having many more issues than i am. Sunday i have to clean for our houseguests on Monday. I will not have any chance to get to work on anything. ☹️ Im already going through withdrawals from the Glue & paints. 

Dennis  

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone ... Happy to say i can get back to work on this. Our Houseguest has gone home today and i reclaimed my office. I will begin painting the DFS on this and my Airacobra Mk.1 for the P-39 group build on Monday. Probably do both Grey’s. Then i can spray the green on Tuesday or Wednesday. See you soon with some updates. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 4

Hello @Giorgio N .. I used the Tamiya ocean grey bottle # XF-82. It seems a touch dark but the green should temper it some. Then of course this all gets covered by white-wash. Im planning on painting out the areas of the british roundels. Starting with the green on the upper side, and a Light blue on the lowers. Something like these photos. 

WAHsW4M.png

oMwviqu.jpg

My big hang-up right now is the yellow leading edge on the DFS ? Im calling on the Experten @Troy Smith, & @Learstang for help ? Ive seen a few photo’s of VVS Hurricanes that look to still have the yellow ID band on the leading edge. However im not positive. Ive seen even more photo’s not showing them ? All the Help on that would be great. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Dennis, as yellow was the Axis identification colour on the Eastern Front, the Soviets were not overly fond of using it on their aeroplanes, although sometimes they did leave it on lend-lease aircraft, such as the yellow serials on American aircraft. I, however, would not paint it.

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @Giorgio N .. I used the Tamiya ocean grey bottle # XF-82. It seems a touch dark but the green should temper it some. Then of course this all gets covered by white-wash. Im planning on painting out the areas of the british roundels. Starting with the green on the upper side, and a Light blue on the lowers. Something like these photos. 

No,  the top pic is Z5252, first Hurricane handed over by 151 wing.

As  the remains of Z525 still exist 

http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/english/articles/sheppard/hurricane_Z5252/index.htm

I don't buy the profiles on the link by the way

, there is possibly an actual answer, and, yes, I have asked but never got a reply.

I suspect that the markings were painted out by the RAF ground crew, using RAF paint, note how the blue of underwing roundel is bleeding through, what you get with a thin coat of Sky (or Sky Blue)  applied under less than optimum conditions...

I suspect this as it was if you like a presentation machine

WAHsW4M.png

regarding the image below, red 48, I suspect this is an example of a temperate land scheme, Sky underside, with the roundel painted out in Medium Sea Grey.. I suggest this as if you have a load of Hurricane's in a mix of TLS and DFS and you are using MSG, you would just use that....

because lend Lease types were nearly all supplied with red stars applied by the originating country,  there are photos of Spitfires in Abandan in Iran having the RAF roundels painted out and then a red star applied, using a metal stencil, including upperwing star, and no star on tail

this is from that series

Spitfire_002_IWM%20E23983.jpg

look closely, you can see where the roundels have been painted out,  

oMwviqu.jpg

My big hang-up right now is the yellow leading edge on the DFS ? Im calling on the Experten @Troy Smith, & @Learstang for help ? Ive seen a few photo’s of VVS Hurricanes that look to still have the yellow ID band on the leading edge. However im not positive. Ive seen even more photo’s not showing them ? All the Help on that would be great. 

Dennis

Leading edges, depends,   the Spitfires above are painted out,  TLS didn't get yellow leading edges, DFS,  BUT in the previous pics, the black spinner imply that one came straight from the factory, and not ex RAF, 

some did retain yellow LE , and have crude RAF overpaints

Hurricane-MkII-USSR-152IAP-W42-Z2585-for

this looks to have had them overpainted

Hurricane-MkIIb-USSR-760IAP-W46-BG910-be

black spinner, and  no sky band, no LE stripes. these were only for DFS and applied at MU's as needed.

Hurricane-MkI-USSR-1GvIAP-White-55-BH250

there are some more interesting pics here

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Hurricane/USSR.html

Including a couple with striking tail art!

got to go, HTH

Ps tidied up and added a pic

Edited by Troy Smith
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone ... I was able to paint the RAF Dk. Green. today on both my builds. Once that was done i sprayed the areas where the roundels would have been over with a close green but just different to make it look like it was done at different times. 

1ZWkCc7.jpg

s8yC1O2.jpg

3Wui9le.jpg

I then sprayed the lower surfaces with a Lt. Blue.

Ho1QR2N.jpg

Possibly/most likely incorrect but it was sprayed before i read Troy’s post. I might go back and do them again in med. sea grey. I might leave it and say the russians painted it out ? I have a think on it and decide by tomorrow. 

Dennis

• Like 6

Can't comment on the accuracy of the paint scheme and I leave this to experts like Troy and Jason. I can say that I like the paintjob. I'm always on the hunt for good paints to reproduce Ocean Grey, reason why I asked. I was aware of Tamiya being good, no suprise the colours here look pretty accurate

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone ... I decided to leave the light blue on the lower wings. Maybe not 100% accurate but gives it a touch of color. I then gave the Hurricane a coat of future today. Then once that was dry, it got a liberal coat of hairspray prepping for the white. I will mask for the red stars and numbers tomorrow. Possibly i will spray the white tomorrow or Sunday. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Hello @John D.C. Masters I used the same technique in my “Geronimo” build earlier this year. 

I will be glad to answer any questions as well ? Im still somewhat new to the technique, having only used it on about 5 builds so far. I find it works well if done properly. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello again you can cover the whole model but i find its not necessary. i usually just spray the areas i plan on roughing up. On this build that will be the upper wings, cowling, and fuselage around the area of the red star & I.D. numbers. I personally spray right from the aerosol can. My daughter abandoned the can im currently using. Though it is possible to de-cant if you prefer, and use an Air-brush to do the same.

First I give the model a coat of future, then two coats of hair spray. Let the hair spray dry thoroughly between coats. It acts just like future, if it pools i use a damp cloth to wipe/wick away excess as soon as i see it forming. I then let it all dry overnight. Today i will use blobs of tack or tape masks to cover the areas i intend on leaving free of whitewash. I will spray a coat of white on that is semi-opaque. I then let that dry for 20-30 minutes, once the time is up the fun begins. It feels weird to attack a paintjob personally but i do it.

I use an old toothbrush or cotton buds to do the dirty work. I dip whichever tool I'm using into water, and begin to rub the areas i plan on attacking. In this case that will be the cowling panel’s, ammunition covers, walkways, and the cockpit coaming.  Any place where the pilot/crew will have rubbed the whitewash away. Like any weathering i do, less is more. My advice to myself for weathering is this. When i say “I think it needs just a little bit more” thats when i stop. I hope this helps in someway ? 

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello Everybody ... Well heres todays update. I sprayed the white today, once done i set-up for the removal of certain areas. My tools are dirt simple, cotton buds, tamiya paint sticks, and a cup of tap water. 

RWt0uT6.jpg

Once i went through my processes the hurricane wound up looking like this. The nice thing about the hairspray technique is if you mess up you just need to respray the white. 

vMjnoiF.jpg

KKWUQoR.jpg

QVP0c8z.jpg

SawXcyL.jpg

Im happy with this i will apply decals soon, then add weathering. Once done i will seal it with a clear satin finish. 

Dennis

• Like 6

That's looking very good, Dennis! One thing to remember about weathering Soviet aircraft; the pilots habitually entered from the port side*, so the port wing root was normally much more weathered than the starboard side. It's something I've noticed whilst examining thousands(!) of photographs of Il-2s.

Regards,

Jason

*It seems like the pilots with other air forces did this also. Perhaps this is how you mount a horse (I know next to nothing about horses or riding them, but I do know a bit about Soviet aircraft).

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1