White Hurricane, Red Stars !

Good start here ! Well, as I came a bit late to the party, you've gone well beyond a simple start...🙂

Like the instrument panel, your choice of technique is pretty sound ! When a panel has good raised detail it's easy to make these shine through a drybrush.. reason why I always prefer panels with raised details rather than decals.

Looking forward to the conversion work, this is a very unusual variant of a very well known type

And last but not least... I'm not too surprised that someone came to your rescue with the rockets, we modellers are afterall a good bunch of lads ! 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

And last but not least... I'm not too surprised that someone came to your rescue with the rockets, we modellers are afterall a good bunch of lads ! 👍

I agree with you on this 110%. Actually this entire build is a rescue of sorts. One member gave me the kit when my stash dried up. Another member will be giving me the Rockets & rails. The decals are coming from a third kit that i bought. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Hello Folks ... Wings are built up holes drilled for the rocket rails. I scribed the new panel for the UBT’s on the lower wing. Filled the unused openings on the leading edge. 

UIIBHZz.jpg

Onto some sanding so boring stuff. When they're suitable i will glue the wings to the Fuselage. 

Dennis

• Like 4

On 04/09/2018 at 05:54, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

However i did fill, sand, polish the associated panels that would not have been used buy the VVS

X6u450D.jpg

The VVS just left the outer gun panels, and blanked off the outer ports, so what you have done is made a Mk.IIa,  but there VVS got them as well, 

As an aside, a few VVS IIb's retained The outer r0.303s...

Like this

17-1.jpg&key=5409212887bcca1422e2beeae27

The light coloured prop blades are a mystery, but are seen on another example.

As an aside, author of the Osprey "Soviet Hurricane Aces" book were working on a book on the Hurricane in VVS service, and given the Aces book had 20 photos I'd not seen before that could really add to the subject...

Hope of interest

Neat work so far Dennis

Cheers

T

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

☹️ Darn ... I still want a IIB ? I will try to remove the filler and such. I followed the line drawings for the IIB & they didn't show the outer guns ? That was my mistake and if i cant get rid of the filler i will live with it being a IIA. 

15 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

The light coloured prop blades are a mystery, but are seen on another example.

Could be like early IL-2 blades, stripped to bare metal on front and black in the back.

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 19:54, Procopius said:

Could be like early IL-2 blades, stripped to bare metal on front and black in the back.

Unlikely; the early Il-2s were simply following pre-war Soviet practice. The Soviets painted the blades overall black not just to keep them from reflecting during flight, but also whilst on the ground, as the Luftwaffe were an ever-present danger for aircraft on Soviet airfields in the early part of the GPW. The Soviets might have re-painted the blades, but I don't see them bothering to remove the paint from the propellers. However, Troy is definitely the (Soviet) Hurricane expert here so I'll give him the last word on this. That is interesting about the .303's in the outer wing - I even have this photograph and never noticed this before. This would have been a particularly well-armed Hurricane, with two 20-mm cannons, two .50's, and four .303's, in addition to probably carrying up to six RS-82 rockets. A veritable Soviet 'Hurribomber'.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Slight correction. Very slight indeed.
  • Like 2

Holding off on the prop till i get a more definitive answer i agree most lijely faded black or possibly reflecting light ?

Im curious to the spinner colors?One photo shows what looks like black the other sky or grey ? Thats what im curious about ? 

3id8O9y.png

Black ⬆️ ? Grey or sky ⬇️

84lfXRj.png

Hopefully Troy can answer some of these questions. 

Dennis

The upper photograph looks like a black spinner. It's definitely not red - look at the stars of the aircraft further away. Other colours such as dark blue or dark green don't seem likely. The bottom one? Who knows? Hopefully Troy does, or least has a reasonable guess. I love the weathered winter finish on these aircraft.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Procopius said:

except that Rotol blades are a compressed wood composite.

seen here, snapped off,  and  the shattered wood visible on the left blade

1889_r500.jpg

it seems some later blades maybe metal, but much later, 

see here for more on the wood composite, Jablo

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235041965-geoffrey-wellums-tribute/&do=findComment&comment=3106729

this is the other VVS Hurricane photo with pale blades,  I had thought maybe it was a lighting effect, but the other image leads me to think they were repainted

whitetailstripandspinnerHIFS91.jpg

from

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=877.0

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Holding off on the prop till i get a more definitive answer i agree most lijely faded black or possibly reflecting light ?

Im curious to the spinner colors?One photo shows what looks like black the other sky or grey ? Thats what im curious about ? 

3id8O9y.png

Black ⬆️ ? Grey or sky ⬇️

84lfXRj.png

Hopefully Troy can answer some of these questions. 

Dennis

Hurricane spinners were black initially, and painted Sky at Maintenance units.

The VVS got both new and used Hurricanes,  I'd suggest as others,  top is black, lower is Sky.

Slight confusion, I didn't mean your subject has the outer 0.303s still installed, but they look neat.  And whose to say when they were taken out ;)

a brief aside, my first encounter with the VVS was via a British comic, Battle, which in the late 70's had a strip about a renegade British pilot who ended flying a hurricane with the VVS

http://fanboy.frothersunite.com/JohnnyRed_Intro.html

while some of it was hokum, they did give a very sympathetic view of VVS and and Soviet suffering during the GPW,  remember this was a children's comic in the cold war...

cheers

T

• Like 3

Hello @Troy Smith ... I looked at that photo of the 2nd VVS hurricane and blew it up. The blades/spinner look like they’ve either been painted white or are in natural metal ? Is it possible some were repaired/replaced using a soviet propellers made of metal ? Personally it looks white to me but im not an expert. 

I really haven't got a true subject to follow/mimic. The two photo’s are more likely just the look im trying to achieve. Currently the black prop hurricane is the leading contender. I like the look of the .303’s and will leave them in. 

Interesting comic possibly with a kernal of truth to it. Didn't the RAF have at least two hurricane units stationed in the USSR briefly ? I thought i remember reading that while researching lend-lease hurricanes in the VVS ? I wonder if its possible one of the pilots was communist and chose to remain behind ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Just now, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Didn't the RAF have at least two hurricane units stationed in the USSR briefly ? I thought i remember reading that while researching lend-lease hurricanes in the VVS ? I wonder if its possible one of the pilots was communist and chose to remain behind ? 

Not as far as I know.

A while back I was corresponding with one of these pilots "Tim" Elkington, it was fascinating to be able email a 93 year old ex Hurricane pilot, especially one who was, shot down in the BoB by Helmut Wick, flying with No.1 Sq,  recovered, back to 1 Sq, then with 151 wing to Russia, (this is the unit you refer to, see here http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/english/articles/sheppard/hurricanes/index.htm) , then some CAM ship trips, then with Mk.IIc nightfighters with Boston Turbinlites, and then India with Spitfires and Mustangs.

When we had 3 BoB vetrans die this sumer, there was a 'only 8 BoB piots left' , fortunately he is still with us.

He posted a fair bit on 12 O Clock high and Key Forums a few yeas ago, which is how I made contact.

OK, one other point, the white ones are filthy from exhuast staining, these shots shows the pattern really well

hurricanePR.jpg

c0f7cfb9e44e5efd53540925cbefeba7.jpg

(Canadian Hurricane from mapping unit BTW see here http://www.ascalecanadian.com/2007/10/rcaf-hawker-hurricanes-part-2.html )

note the curve from the front, to below the cockpit, and then how it is blown straight along the fuselage, back as far as the serial

now compare to this image, note the fuselage in the background as well

3id8O9y.png&key=a28470310f185c123d13142e

11 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I looked at that photo of the 2nd VVS hurricane and blew it up. The blades/spinner look like they’ve either been painted white or are in natural metal ? Is it possible some were repaired/replaced using a soviet propeller made of metal ? Personally it looks white to me but im not an expert. 

Don't know Dennis,  I think it's just a repainted prop,  possibly a unit marking.  

I mention it as an interesting curio. 

It's not that well know that the VVS got nearly 3,000 Hurricanes!  nearly 1/5th of all built.....  Hopefully more photos will surface over time and gaps about their use and markings will get filled in.

cheers

T

• Like 3

Hello everybody I was able to glue the wings and horizontal stabs to the fuselage today.

rRHHGgv.jpg

So just some finish sanding on this and then on to paint. Im trying to get as much done before Monday the 17th. I have house guests coming for 10 days, and guess where they’ll be sleeping while here. In the modeling cave. On top of that deadline myself and SWMBO have 3 doctors appointments before Friday and a plumber rebuilding some of the pipes in the house on Thursday. No real rush though. 😉 

Dennis

• Like 2

Good progress, completing the airframe is an important step. Hope you can get as much done as possible before receiving your guests.

17 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

It's not that well know that the VVS got nearly 3,000 Hurricanes!  nearly 1/5th of all built.....  Hopefully more photos will surface over time and gaps about their use and markings will get filled in.

cheers

T

This is one of those little known numbers that should make people think. First of all should give an indication of how many machines were swallowed by the war on the Eastern Front. In the West we often forget the size of fighting in the East, yet this was so massive that makes some of the battles we remember with pride look like skirmishes...

Then this number should remind of how many British types served with other air forces both during the war and in the immediate postwar years. We of course associate Spitfires and Hurricanes with "the Battle" in 1940 and makes sense as this was a crucial point in History, but we forget how many other served after the battle in many different theatres and with many different markings. I'm personally glad to have seen in this GB fine examples of both types with different markings, including this one.

Now who's gonna build a Hampden in VVS markings ? 😁

• Like 3