White Hurricane, Red Stars !

Hello Everybody ... Thought I would  pop in and build Revell’s Hurricane IIB as a lend-lease to the Soviet Union. 

iF92EWE.jpg

I plan on doing this one in winter distemper over the RAF colors. It should look like this if I succeed. 

3id8O9y.png

dVEqg5h.png

The upper profile is something like what im going for. Though to be honest the Artillery spotting two seater is making me consider that option as well. 

Anyone have any info on the Two seater that might sway me ? Specifically looking for a line drawing or interior photos of the rear observers seat? Also Im looking for any info concerning the RS-82 rockets seen on the white-washed hurricane ?  

Work wont start for about a week. Im still involved in 4 other group builds with 5 aircraft currently. A couple of those will be done in the next week so that will free up the time needed. My thanks to the Host(s) for letting me join. Questions, comments, or jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 3

Hi Dennis

Note the plane in the photo is in Day Fighter Scheme, so the undersides are Medium Sea Grey, Sky photographs nearly white when illuminated from below.

Also note Soviet added rocket rails and armament, that's a 20mm cannon sticking out the wing.

The extensive staining is most likely the result of lower grade Soviet fuel.

The two seat profile is wrong, again DFS,  the photo is online.

hurr2-5.jpg

Note the underside colour Vs Sky band, and what looks to be a missing lower fuselage panel, for observation.

If you want I'll dig out some more info and links, I have posted info on Soviet regunning etc

HTH

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Troy Smith I really would like to do the Spotter version. I think i will save that for a future project though. You wouldn't possibly have a close-up photo of the RS-82 rocket mounts on the Soviet hurricane’s ? I would like to take a stab at scratch building the rails at least. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. 

Dennis

27 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You wouldn't possibly have a close-up photo of the RS-82 rocket mounts on the Soviet hurricane’s ? I would like to take a stab at scratch building the rails at leas

The rails and rockets  are standard VVS fitting AFAIK

so could be sourced from another kit,  @Learstang knows more what 72nd kit would have spares, regarding details, 

google is your friend...honest :whistle: 

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/218449-rs-82-rockets-rails-colors/

note this image is titled 'Hurricane' posted by Sergey Kosachev,  who emailed me the drawings below

hurricane_22-1.jpg

hurricane_23-1.jpg

regarding the regunning

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=881.0

A while back I asked on Hyperscale about the regunning of the Hurricane, and was emailed drawings by Sergey Kosachev of Vector.

Points to note are the slight asymmetric layout of UB  guns in each wing. This is better shown in the frontal view with the dimensions in mm from the centre line.  I presume this is due to allowing for the ammo feeds of UB guns?  

The added underwing plates with the spent cartridges slots. These well the show the asymmetry of the UB's.

Small plates round the UB guns one wing leading edge.

The asymmetry of the RS-82 mountings.

I added in a photo of the ShVAK cannon, the grey object top left, to the same scale.  The rear gun access hatch looks a little narrow in the drawings, but the important details are well shown and look accurate.
I'm not sure why there are scrap views of the nose included in the drawings, but do provide some useful details. 

HurricaneVVSarmamentplanview.jpg

Hurricansovietarmamentlayout.jpg

the pics were showing but now getting the photobucket demand, if you don't have an embed fix on your browser, try right clicking and going to the PB site

as an aside, here's another VVS modification

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=2122.0

a bit more on two seaters

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/lendlease/hurricane/hurricane.html

note the links to other Sovietwarplanes links

HTH

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dennis, I added some edits, but this is the one for the 2 seaters

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/lendlease/hurricane/hurricane2seat/plator/2seat in service/2seathurricane.htm

note the post war 2 seat weather spotter!   IIRC from a recent book some Hurricanes carried on until 1947 or 48 in these kinds of roles...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The HobbyBoss MiG-3 has a set of RS-82 rockets that don't look too bad. If you could get one of those cheaply, you would have the rockets and a fairly good MiG-3.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Chris is right; the HB MiG-3 does have some serviceable RS-82s and rails, and you also get a free MiG-3 to boot (it's free if you consider that you're just paying for the rockets)! The rails are not asymmetric like they are shown in the Hurricane diagram, though. AML have some decals for aircraft with rockets, including at least one Hurricane - https://eshop.aml.cz/en/23-decals-1-72?p=2

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

Hello Chris & Jason @dogsbody & @Learstang. Thanks for the Hb mig-3 option. It sounds good and had i thought of this build 2 weeks ago would have been easy to do. Sadly my next budget allotment will be at Christmas, and beyond any use for this build. If i go with the rockets i will probably just scratch build the rails. I have plastic, brass, and a reasonable bit of intelligence so it shouldn't be to hard. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Ok so here are the obligatory sprue shots. 

P1BBJ65.jpg

keZwGUP.jpg

I think i have the mods i need to do down. I need to change the wing guns from 12x.303’s to 4x 12.7 UB machine guns. Add the rocket rails. It will need the Day fighter scheme of Dk.Green & Ocean grey over Med. sea grey. The RAF markings will be painted out and Red Stars over lay the areas. That in turn will need a winter white wash. Nothing major that i can see. See you as soon as i can 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Correction
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

need to change the wing guns from 12x.303’s to 4x 20mm ShVak cannons. Add the rocket rails. It will need the Day fighter scheme of Dk.Green & Ocean grey over Med. sea grey. The RAF markings will be painted out and Red Stars over lay the areas. That in turn will need a winter white wash. Nothing major that i can see. See you as soon as i can 

Two points. 

Not 4x 20mm ShVak, the inner guns were 12.7 mm UBT,  note the assymetric position, as shown on the 2nd set of drawings. Which are not showing for me, but are on PB...

Note the added underwing plates for the ejector slots.

Yes RAF DFS, but in most cases RAF markings were painted out by the British before delivery, with RAF standard paint.

Typing on a tiny tablet, so may add more later, might be worth asking in the wanted section if anyone has any spare RS-82s, @Procopius just did an Il-2 and don't think he used any rockets.... Not sure if base kit had them, but it the sort of thing that ends up in a spares box, and are small enough they'd be the cost of a stamp to post, so ask in the wanted section ;)

Cheers

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone .. Not much of a start. However i had a few minutes tonight so i figured id paint the interior on the Hurricane.

NmTyUZU.jpg

I used some plastic strip to represent the pilots foot tracks. I know they're a bit wide but once the pit is closed up it wont be that apparent.  

7nKMYuW.jpg

Not much and i know the seat belt is incorrect for a hurricane ? It should be a “Sutton” type for RAF use. Does anyone know if the Soviets kept the Suttons ? Did they use a Soviet made harness ? If anyone knows that would be helpful. I will plan for a tape Sutton unless otherwise informed. 

Dennis

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

No clue on the belts, but I think by 1941-42, the Hurricane seat was RAF grey-green.

The two wrecks salvaged from Russia, Z5252, and a IIa, both had aluminium painted seats 

hurricane_14.jpg

Z5252, from

http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/english/articles/sheppard/hurricane_Z5252/index.htm

As can best be ascertained, the switch to all grey-green interiors was late 42 or 43, there is the colour photo of. Trop Mk.II on the production line showing this.

HTH

T

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank you again @Troy Smith ...you must get tired of saving people, or giving them info when it comes to Hurricane builds. My source for seat decision was the virtual cockpit of the IIA, taken from the National museum of the USAF. I figured a IIA wouldn't have been far off the mark. I didn't read about harness replacement in the link. Would i be correct in guessing the Sutton harness’s were retained ?   

Dennis

Hi Dennis

Since I don't seem to ever get time and space to actually build anything,  at least I can do is share what I know, and the Hurricane does suffer the Cinderella problem in relation to that other more glamorous type.... 

So, I enjoy sharing, and as this is a public, and popular site, over time it allows the information a wider audience,  last year I met up with @Beard, and he said what he liked about my postings was I illustrated what I was talking about,  but I try to post what I would find useful, and VVS Hurricane use is a pet subject of mine.

Regarding VVS use, if it worked, it didn't get replaced, so assume original Sutton harness.

The Smithsonian Hurricane is a IIc, LF686, and is from the last production block, built from September 43 onwards

See

http://www.k5083.mistral.co.uk/APS.HTM

So the interior is correct for a later plane.

Cheers

Troy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Ok so i touched up the seat, and glued that and the floor together. Once that was done I added the tape harness. And will paint that soon. 

Xbcsj9L.jpg

I should be able to start putting some work into this in a few days. Im almost done with my Deuce and Mig. The P-47 and P-51 are waiting on a flat coat and final assembly. The P-39 is close to paint, so i will see you soon. 

• Like 2

Hello everyone so I went ahead and painted the instrument panel, 

zsZu7lZ.jpg

and a few assorted pieces. Heres the Radiator.

g3ri3vz.jpg

Then i decided it was time to start glueing plastic bits together. Before i knew it i had a Fuselage. 

GdLQNIs.jpg

Im waiting on the Rails/Rockets from a fellow member so i can drill the holes in the wings. However i did fill, sand, polish the associated panels that would not have been used buy the VVS

X6u450D.jpg

More on this later when i have the parts to finish the wings. Questions, comments, or jokes ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 5