Atlantis Models buys Revell toolings held in the USA

Julien

Nice that it also clarifies the status of tooling Revell had in China , at least to me, as well as that Revell in Germany has rights to the tooling held in the USA & have no doubt cherry picked the most commercial subjects. It will be interesting to see what emerges from both Atlantis & Revell.

Steve.

• Like 1

Well Atlantis have made a start, as I have picked up a 1/72 DC-9-10 from the old Aurora (1965) mould, with a Revell sticker inside. They come in what loks like a repro box with Atlantis 'Classic Plastic' on it. The moulding is excellent, as the decal sheet quality, except they have got the Hughes Airwest decals in purple instead of dark blue. That does not bother me as I have other plans for it. That said, the price is around the $40 mark on evilbay for what is a basic kit of few parts.

Let's hope we see more of the back catalogue.

• Like 1

It's likely to be very old tools that were still in the US, as I imagine the most recent and 'economically viable' molds were probably already in China. Where Revell will probably be glad to leave them. Both sides are probably considering the sale of the remaining US molds as a 'win' - Atlantis can probably do limited production runs and make some $$$s off of nostalgia, and Revell got some cash for tooling it did not want, and now does not have to pay to move, store, or scrap. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ka-Efka said:

Iirc the Me410/He111/Do217 were made by/for Revellogram USA, as were many interesting Cars. Let's see where they end up...

Which - the relatively recent 1/48 kits ? I can't imagine Revell ditching them, probably at scrap metal value, even though they probably have access to the ICM 111 now if they wanted to.

The DC-9 is interesting - was that one ever released by Monogram ? I know the 737 proto was, but if the DC wasn't, that may indicate that there were actually more Aurora moulds that survived the famous purported 1977 train crash...

21 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

It'll be interesting see what space and sc-fi kits they inherited, hopefully there will be some Strombecker kits in and amongst the haul.

Thomo.

Most of the Strombecker space kits ended up with Glencoe and are still reissued every couple of years .I've built the space wheel and 3 stage ferry rocket recently . (Not to be confused with the Lindberg versions ) . Hopefully the Revell Xsl 01 tooling is part of the deal ( scuttlebutt says the mould survives but is missing some clear parts )..exciting times

Edited by Neil Lambess

I only mentioned Strombecker that it has been long rumoured that Revell hold some of the moulds. This brings up the interesting scenario of the duplicate moulds of larger kits. I don’t know the full list of duplicate moulds, but the two I do are the 1/24 Gemini and Vostok, who will have the rights to these?

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

On 8/31/2018 at 5:07 AM, tempestfan said:

Which - the relatively recent 1/48 kits ? I can't imagine Revell ditching them, probably at scrap metal value, even though they probably have access to the ICM 111 now if they wanted to.

The DC-9 is interesting - was that one ever released by Monogram ? I know the 737 proto was, but if the DC wasn't, that may indicate that there were actually more Aurora moulds that survived the famous purported 1977 train crash...

Here's the most definitive thing I've seen about the Aurora train wreck

“The loss was actually in the area of 14 1/2 molds officially (or 15 1/2, something like that). The molds were taken to Chicago to the Morton Grove facility, where the insurance company paid on the loss. Obviously, the other 1/2 mold was not particularly functional, but then the insurance company never had to produce parts from the remaining 1/2 mold.

“There were some figure kits involved, a couple of aircraft molds, and the Addams family house sounds right, as mentioned on one of the other responses. I know that one of the accessory (black) parts molds for World War I aircraft was in there as well. I believe it was the Albatross CIII and two more kits that were the ones affected. Can’t remember which the others were.

https://culttvman.com/main/aurora-faq-6-what-is-the-story-about-the-aurora-train-wreck/

Thomas Graham's book on Aurora says that the moulds damaged beyond repair in the train wreck were the Aero Jet Commander, Halberstadt CL.II, Breguet 14, Albatros C.III and Cessna Skymaster. Aurora had apparently scrapped some moulds themselves, including the Guys and Gals figures, and Monogram scrapped a lot of the kits they didn't think would fit their line, as the beryllium copper that Aurora used had a high scrap value. All of the 1/16 scale Racing Scenes were scrapped as some were damaged, and the Seaview was also sold off.

• 1 month later...

First two kits announced from t6he Revell Purchase are The Invaders UFO (ex Aurora) in 1/72nd and the USS Iowa Battleship (Revell) in 1/535th scale. info from Cult TV Man. http://culttvman.com/main/atlantis-news-the-invaders-and-more/

Never got hold of the UFO kit over the years so I'll probably get one.

Paul Harrison

Think the Jo-Han moulds are still with Okey Spaulding in Kentucky though he hasn't produced any kits for some time IIRC. I'm not much of a  car modeller but I do love a Cord! My Brother had the Monogram kit in the 70's and I have the Lindberg kit in my stash. Pretty sure the first time I saw one was the Doc Savage movie in 1975/6, wanted one ever since!

Paul Harrison

Edited by GreenDragon
  • Like 1

Wow! So Revell finally sold off the 1/535th USS Iowa/New Jersey/Missouri (it was never released as Wisconsin), which had been in continuous production since 1953. It would be the end of an era, except it looks like Atlantis is going to keep making it. Wonder if this means Revell is going to do a new kit for (not in that scale, obviously).