Hunter F6 paint help please

Redstaff

Hoping someone on here with more knowledge than me of RAF Hunters can put me right if possible please

For the Cold war '60s build I am doing F6 XF526 from 56 squadron in 1960, I know the top camo is Dark green and Dark sea grey wrap around, but the bottom just states Aluminium

Now is that NMF Aluminium or Aluminium paint as most of the F6 pictures I've researched are inconclusive, in fact most appear to be a light grey rather than Aluminium which has confused me even more 🤔

Also it will be carrying a pair of 100 gallon tanks and doing the research has thrown up another query as most of the mounts/pylons for the tanks seem to be either white or very light grey 🤔

Can anyone put an idiot out of his misery and point me in the right direction please :)

Many thanks

Ian

Thanks guys

That's sorted that one then, painted finish it is then :)

What about the pylons though, could they be white as they look in this 1960 pic, also in this the sabrinas look white as well, 

https://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p562311402/h41a3aedb#h41a3aedb

The pylons and Sabrinas would follow local airframe finish, so in this case High Speed Silver.  Compare pylons & Sabrinas with the nosewheel leg and the white of the wingtip and roundel.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

The pylons and Sabrina’s would follow local airframe finish, so in this case High Speed Silver.  Compare pylons & Sabrinas with the nosewheel leg and the white of the wingtip and roundel.

OK, is it possible they are a fresher less weathered colour than the main airframe as overhauled versions may have been fitted/swapped during the aircrafts' lifetime, or would they have been fitted and remained in situ for the duration?

If so I might just add a touch of white to the ally to brighten it up a little perhaps?

15 hours ago, Redstaff said:

OK, is it possible they are a fresher less weathered colour than the main airframe as overhauled versions may have been fitted/swapped during the aircrafts' lifetime, or would they have been fitted and remained in situ for the duration?

If so I might just add a touch of white to the ally to brighten it up a little perhaps?

There could be consideable difference in the hue of the colours of these items.  The sabrinas may possibly been part of the gunpod assembly (willing to be corrected on this!) and serviced with that item, and the pylons as role equipment were replaced on scheduled servicing on a regular basis.  During the changover to Light aircraft grey I have no doubt you could have seen grey bottomed aircraft with silver  gunpods or vice versa, same thing would have occurred with pylons.  Don't  would ever have seen a white pylon though!

Selwyn

• Thanks 1

If it helps, my build log of an FGA.9 may help you?

I went for a light grey finish to the underside. Turned out OK, hope it helps you?

Edited by Mikey-1980
  • Thanks 1

I believe the Sabrinas are removed from the airframe in order that the Aden gun pack can be dropped out of the fuselage for servicing - so they would follow the colour of the u/s - don't quote me on that though...

Anyway, as said above, 50's early 60s Hunter HSS undersides and R/W/B roundels - late 60's LAG undersides I believe still R/W/B markings and by 1970ish the roundels had changed to red/blue.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by SimonR
  • Like 2

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated :) 

As it's depicted early 1960 I'll go HSS then as it was probably painted late 50's, and use a light wash to pick details out as they were kept fairly clean in those days especially with 56 squadron by the various pics I have seen

• Like 1

Yes, the rear part of the sabrina is attached to the radio bay door but the forward part is completely detachable and was removed before the gun pack was lowered out. The gun packs were swapped between aircraft (empty one out, re-armed one back in) so quite often appeared a different shade to the rest of the undersides. The forward part of the link collector was then re-attached to the 'new' gun pack.

Early '60s - definitely HSS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1