Supermarine Scimitar - Ark Royal 1960-61 - Malta

8 hours ago, Col. said:

No pilot figures in the spare parts stash Hans?

Well....although I'm not a known stickler for accuracy, I still think that the pilot should reflect the timeperiod, and as it happens I don't really have that many kit of british subjects from the '50'es-60'es that also have a pilot figure in it. :unsure:

I think the  Airfix Lightning F.6 is the only one :hmmm:....., but anyway - the seat is superglued in place (resinseat) so it's difficult to get it out again. :winkgrin:

The next time around - perhaps...:winkgrin:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 1

Sunday! :yahoo:

Maybe this is a sort of backward way of doing it :hmmm:, but I just painted the wheelwells and whilst at it gave the intakes an airbrush over as well:

166a90a4-9976-4f2d-887e-8c85396e638e.jpe

I've been thinking about how to tackle the main painting itself and came to the conclusion, that I'll paint the whole plane EDSG (masking the wheelwells of in advance :doh:) first, then highlight the individual panels on the upperside, mask off the upperside, highlight the induvidual panels on the underside in white and then finishing by giving the whole underside a light overspray of white, thereby creating some sort of preshadingeffect. (Whoa - that's one long sentence if ever I saw one! 30 years as a clerk in government employment leaves their mark! :winkgrin: )

Hans J

• Like 3

On 9/7/2018 at 12:16 PM, HansReggelsen said:

Every little bit counts... :D

cc690085-7d75-47c7-85fe-f3c3a5b661bd.jpg

Somehow I'm surprised how far I've gotten with this? 

Before one knows, painting's underway! :hmmm:

Hans J

Further quick tip. PVA glues usually dry clear, so it's worth giving it a coat of the interior colour before adding anything further over it, whether it be the exterior colour or filler. That way you won't see stray stripes of other colours when looking in from the other side. 

Good work Hans, you're a bit in front of me. 

12 hours ago, 825 said:

Further quick tip. PVA glues usually dry clear, so it's worth giving it a coat of the interior colour before adding anything further over it, whether it be the exterior colour or filler. That way you won't see stray stripes of other colours when looking in from the other side. 

Good work Hans, you're a bit in front of me. 

Thanks, and you're right of course - should have thought of  mentioning it myself! :doh:

And we continue: :D

a548d595-869d-4341-8e04-2e5974066254.jpgI

I'll let it dry for a bit, and then 'highlight' the panels - not too much though - just a bit - a little teeny bit! :winkgrin:

The underside has been painted the same colour.

Hans J

• Like 2

After a couple of hours drying time it was time for some postshading: :D

54acec38-46eb-4eb9-b1f0-c89bc8f23d3c.JPE

I chose to keep it subtle so one barely sees it. :hmmm:

Next step is masking of the whole upper side in preparation of spraying the underside white.

I'll let it dry thoroughly  - a couple of days - first though! :winkgrin:

I'll be building the fueltanks and pylons while I wait.

Hans J

• Like 4

17 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

After a couple of hours drying time it was time for some postshading: :D

54acec38-46eb-4eb9-b1f0-c89bc8f23d3c.JPE

I chose to keep it subtle so one barely sees it. :hmmm:

Next step is masking of the whole upper side in preparation of spraying the underside white.

I'll let it dry thoroughly  - a couple of days - first though! :winkgrin:

I'll be building the fueltanks and pylons while I wait.

Hans J

Looking good Hans. Most pictures of Scimitars show the EDSG on the top and sides fairly clean but the white undersides fairly stained and streaked. I suspect the latter is a combination of keeping white clean and the Scimitar's reputation for leaking oil and lubricants in a profuse manner. If you have the Warpaint book it's a great reference and has a number of great undersides pictures. If you don't PM me and I'll send you some pictures from it. 

• Like 1

Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho and off to modelling we go.....! :D

Painting of the underside has commenced after the masking, but first a little look at the size of the Scimitar: :hmmm:

06f6af45-023e-43b9-977e-3620907d25b3.jpg

The sleek engineering of the Scimitar makes it look like a smaller plane, but when you put it next to a Phantom, it's quite big!

....and the maskings off: :D

794c4968-67a9-4187-8947-0333d730fe8a.jpg

It's coming together allright, methinks?

Cheers  :bye: - and a thousand thanks to 825 for his invaluable help! :worthy:

Hans J

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Without afterburners engaged, the Scimitar also had about the same amount of thrust as a Phantom. Just shows you how revolutionary the F-4 was in terms of stores carriage and radar capability; a true weapons system.

• Like 2

Now we're starting to get somewhere for real! :D

5b5359b7-b8f2-4012-a68d-072d7e51632c.JPE

I always dread it when you put your model on it's 'legs' for the first time, but in this case No Problemo! :yahoo:

Next step is a couple of smaller touch-up's and then a coat of glossvarnish in preparation for the decals! :D

Hans J

• Like 6

The underwing serials are oversize!

21 minutes ago, HansReggelsen said:

And now - the moment I've all been waiting for (yes I mean ALL of me - if you saw my 300 lbs, you'd know what I am talking about! :winkgrin: )

c04592aa-9df0-40fc-adbb-5e7d1af48b58.jpg

For me this is the moment, where a model really comes to life! :D:bye:

Hans J

4 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

The underwing serials are oversize!

Thanks for the hint! :D Be as it may, I'll use them anyway, as I don't have the means to get any substitutes available to me at the moment. :hmmm:

Another comment on the decals: they are quite 'flimsy' and need a lot of Set to move into the right position, also the 'Royal Navy' broke into two, as I was too fast to try and get it off the backingpaper. Something to look out for. :hmmm:

But all in all no real issues - so far! :winkgrin:

Hans J

• Like 1

I've spend most of the day at Aros 2018 - a local modelshow here in Aarhus. :yahoo:So a little burning of the old midnight oil seemed in order! :winkgrin:  :

f2d05e94-ce67-441d-8169-a3bb321ee656.JPE

The numerals broke up on me, and I had to use the number '2' of the other option.

Luckly - as 825 pointed out to me - the Scimitar is fairly dirty on the underside, so a 'bit' of weathering may save me! :coolio:

Also the attachement of the fueltanks will help tp hide them - Good thing it's on the underside! This one will NOT be placed on a mirror. :winkgrin:

Hans J 

• Like 5

'nother quick update - I once more spend the day at Aros 2018 Modelshow! :yahoo:

I had a small table trying to sell off some of my 'lost-intrest-in' kits, but somehow I ended up carrying more kits back than I brought with me to begin with! :doh:

After talking to a fellow modeller about silvering decals a growing suspicion hit me: is my Scimitar shiny enough to prevent the dreaded silvering? :hmmm:

The 'Underwingnumerals'-incident, made me spray another coat of gloss on the model this evening, so no more decaling tonight - I shall endeavor to proceed with it in the morning! :D

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen
  • Like 1

Re-started the decaling process, but they are fighting me. :boxing:They tear easily and are NOT happy to be moved around one bit! :hmmm:

I'll get it done though, but if I would to build another one, I'd look into some replacement decals.

On a more lighter note: I went and bought me a 'LED Daylight Lamp'! :winkgrin:

Please compare the two pictures below:

13ce0f5d-e665-4191-b8df-ea90eb79ba7f.JPE

That's all for now! :bye:

Cheers

Hans J

• Like 3