Supermarine Scimitar - Ark Royal 1960-61 - Malta

Hi - hope I'm not too late for this. :oops:

Been a bit held up due to backproblems, but with this now sorted I'm ready to have a go at this GB. :D

I've chosen XTrakit's 1/72 Supermarine Scimitar F.1 of 807 Sdn, HMS Ark Royal, at RNAS Hal Far, Malta, 1960-1961 (all according to the instructions :winkgrin: )

I plan on building it OOB just for the fun of it. :D

Here's the photo of the starting point:

resized_328d2624-4ee1-4661-984b-9009d849

I must admit I don't know much about this plane, but it is SO beautifull! Almost as pretty as a P-47! :winkgrin:

Cheers for now :bye:

Hans J

• Like 7

Look out for the big ejection pin on the nose wheel well moulding. Not easy to fix. 

Intakes look good. How long did the fettling take?

8 hours ago, 825 said:

Intakes look good. How long did the fettling take?

I can't say 100% but it took less than 15 minutes for one side including the time the glue had to dry. :hmmm:

The whole bulidingseance took 5 musicnumbers on my phone - the last one being 'Looking out for Love' with Fleetwood Mac! :D

But it's a lot of try'n error! 

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

I can't say 100% but it took less than 15 minutes for one side including the time the glue had to dry. :hmmm:

The whole bulidingseance took 5 musicnumbers on my phone - the last one being 'Looking out for Love' with Fleetwood Mac! :D

But it's a lot of try'n error! 

Hans J

That's 10 tracks for the pair, as long as one doesn't use 2 minute punk or 20 minute prog rock as a benchmark. I'm hopeful I should take about the same time. I'm also thinking at this point how best to mask the intakes as I was planning to use a rattle can for the white underside. I'll get fettling first. Thanks for the info, and it's probably quicker than sorting out the ejector pin in the nose wheel well. 

A slow move forward (but still forward! :winkgrin: )

6f85434b-5324-4cc7-8397-b00eac3dd838.jpg

Now I plan on using a small amount of filler in the gap.

Then - maybe, just maybe - a small amount of detailing on the cockpit sides, but since it'll be painted black so I'll restrain myself! :winkgrin:

Hans J

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HansReggelsen said:

A slow move forward (but still forward! :winkgrin: )

6f85434b-5324-4cc7-8397-b00eac3dd838.jpg

Now I plan on using a small amount of filler in the gap.

Then - maybe, just maybe - a small amount of detailing on the cockpit sides, but since it'll be painted black so I'll restrain myself! :winkgrin:

Hans J

Thecockpit is small and black so you probably won't see much even though the canopy is large and clear. I've simply dry brushed the IP and the panels at the side of the cockpit with Aluminium and I'll add a wash to the seat. 

Youre right on the intake panels. Mine took 15 tracks but I did the jet pipes and put on a layer of paint. Good work. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Col. said:

Are we debuting a new timing system for stages in modelling here boys? :D 

Remember ABBA's "Thank you for the music"! :winkgrin:

43d0e82b-495a-454c-991f-ee0d6c25e283.jpg

Yep - I actually saw "Flashdance" when it first came in the cinemas! :D

Not much of an update, I know! :hmmm:

Hans J

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

"Flashdance"

Hmmmm, Jennifer Beals, leotard & leg warmers.  Yeah I saw it too, it left indelible memories. :D  The Scimitar is looking good too before I get totally off track. :) 

Steve.

• Haha 2

Well, well, well! It's sunday - the sun is shining, the birds are singing and I have just glued the fuselage together! :D

f8cefee4-4596-4162-b7d8-0b841f6fffff.jpg

bfd6612b-33d9-4b79-b105-e30106092aba.jpg

The only problems I had was of my own doing, I had glued the cockpit BELOW the 'ledges' upon which it was supposed to go. :oops:Had to rip it out and replace it the proper place. :doh:

Also the fitting of the eniginefronts treased me a bit so I had to bend the left side a bit, but one can't see it from outside! :winkgrin:

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen
  • Like 5

Tuesday....(need I say more?) :winkgrin:

b5e715de-213c-4754-80fe-07231789ef3f.jpg

This build is actually going quiet fast - it's not a Tamigawa kit, but then again there's not that many parts to begin with.

It's kinda fun! :D

The gaps at the wingroots will be filled with a mixture of filler and glue - that makes it more fluid and I can brush it on.

I mask off the surrounding areas first as one would do if one was painting. Saves a lot of sanding afterwards.

The ejectorhandle at the top of the seat was missing from my kit, so I'll replace is with a brasswire I have laying around somewhere. :hmmm:

Hans J

• Like 5

...just a little more...:winkgrin:

19cb567d-371a-444f-81ed-c28d11f8e250.JPE

I just love it when the canopy is one - it really makes it look like a plane.....perhaps one should finish it in flying mode......:hmmm:

....or not (haven't got a pilot! :doh:)

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen
  • Like 3