Greetings Edwardian War Enthusiasts

I had planned a Killen Strait tractor for this GB but more information has become available so I'll hold off. Thanks to @Sgt.Squarehead a substitute has appeared in a timely manner in the form of this

40313171_525163514589046_605267376701072

Thankfully beautifully packed as the original box is little better than smoke at offering protection.... However inside are two beautifully moulded sprues in satin black plastic 😨 which got a mist coat of white primer so I could see details so

40371009_525163567922374_916942285816043

I've got to admit that the level of detail is amazing matched only by the complexity of the build in places. RPM have made no shortcuts in quality at all. Finally here is Airfix Magazine April 1979 that planted the seed all those years ago

40322362_525163684589029_133472489326614

There is a little more in War Cars by David Fletcher (HMSO) and Photo History of Armoured Cars in Two World Wars by George Forty (Blandford). The plan is of a Vickers MG carrier from 20 Battery MMGS rather than the Lewis gun armed light patrol car. Still valid for this GB as 20 MMGS was formed after the start of the war until becoming the 13 Light Armoured Motor Battery in June 1916. However I shall be doing the Western Desert version.

It should be different. 

• Like 10

Love the concept, and the prototype vehicle. (Currently working on the WW1 'ambo' version in a larger scale---converted from the old AMT kit---myself.)

Very much look forward to following your progress!

Cheers

Edited by thorfinn
typo
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2018 at 5:47 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

RPM do the MG carrier kit in 1/72, not sure about the bigger scales, might be worth a check.....I've got the small one in the stash (unsurprisingly).

Just make sure it's RHD as they were all converted from British built vehicles. The 35th version came out recently but I've not seen one yet.

There's a mad Polish Armoured Car built on the chassis as well. I'll be having a few more of these I think.

Thank You once again :D 

22 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Genuine pleasure fella.  :coolio:

I'm building the Polish armoured car myself (in 1/72), my kit is apparently a very early 'pre-detail' version, you can see it HERE.

I am following that and am surprised that more manufacturers don't do the same. Making all your own detail means easier production and no moans about errors :D 

Been looking for plans for the Beastlette but nothing so far.....

I have now completed the first page of the instruction book. Will take piccies tomorrow.

• Like 1

Hello again.

Bit later than intended here is the first instruction sheet page assembled.... nearly.

40891038_528333934272004_529098813054595

I enjoyed this so much that I was happy when, removing parts from the sprues, I created extra parts to be assembled 🙄 RPM are really pushing their limits which I applaud. The only bit NOT done was hanging the unidentified ring (Part 52) on the front of the prop shaft. It's fitted much later so has been put in a safe place (blutacked to my monitor!) until needed. Detail and fit are excellent. Note that these were RHD built in Britain so the steering box has been modified and mounted on the opposite chassis rail and the linkage fitted to the other end of the front axle. 

41244211_528333874272010_452458770661690

Moving ahead the truck bed has been shortened by removing one cross piece and the longest rib. The brake has been fitted to the RH floor end, it can't be simply reversed as it's set slightly forward of centre. Ask me how I know.... I have discovered that the plastic glues well and is easy to work with but at the expense of needing a long time for the joint to set solid. I'd suggest experimenting with it as I found that it needed a full day and a bit before it was safe to handle the assembly again.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings Followers of the original LRDG!

41958041_533529973752400_905748822365097

Here we have page 2 of the instructions almost complete. The pedal linkage assembly has been mounted to the RH side of the gearbox (as original) but it fouls the exhaust (which it shouldn't) the exhaust has been removed while I seek information as to it's correct routing. The centre beam on the truck bed has been removed and the driver's controls are now switched.

41840656_533530030419061_534748369227087

The transmission hand brake swopped like it should and I must be getting better as page 2 construction didn't see me with extra sub-assemblies except those intended.  Despite being very fiddly and awkward at times (huge fingers, tiny parts) I'm really enjoying this build. Thanks again to @Sgt.Squarehead for the kit. It's a pearl.

• Like 5

I think they used the rest of the oyster to make the 1/72 version.....You'll see soon!  ;)

1/48 version does look nicely detailed, it looks quite a bit nicer than the Airfix 1/32 Model T that I also have part finished come to think of it.  :rolleyes:

Have you managed to track down a suitable MG?  :shrug:

• Like 1

There is a great book about the Light Car Patrols published by the Royal Geographical Society.  Loads of great pictures of Ts in various states of repair.  As long as it still had four wheels and an engine they used it!  Look forward to seeing your model, I have a Skytrex whitemetal model of one of the more skeletal Ts to build. There is also a 1/35 plastic kit for an LCP available, but it looks a bit "Pebble Beach Concours" !

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments People! Much appreciated.

That book is on order as I type.

I have tracked down a suitable MG HERE. They are a great bunch who should be at Telford if you're going. I warn you they are awesome and very, very addictive.

To anybody wavering then I say go for it. They really are a scaled down 1/35 kit with little concession for the smaller scale. RPM are an offshoot of ICM apparently and look at the stuff they've done recently. If you shop around you can get them at a very fair price...or you can pay way more if you're not careful.

• Like 4

I'd just add that RPM's 1/72 kits are a bit of a mixed bag, definitely consult reviews and grab references before proceeding, they're decent kits and can be finished beautifully, but they do need some work.  :coolio:

10 hours ago, SleeperService said:

I have tracked down a suitable MG HERE. They are a great bunch who should be at Telford if you're going. I warn you they are awesome and very, very addictive.

That's a lovely little casting.....Don't suppose they do 1/48 AKs/RPK/RPDs at all?  :pray:

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'd just add that RPM's 1/72 kits are a bit of a mixed bag, definitely consult reviews and grab references before proceeding, they're decent kits and can be finished beautifully, but they do need some work.  :coolio:

That's a lovely little casting.....Don't suppose they do 1/48 AKs/RPK/RPDs at all?  :pray:

I also wished. A DshK would be good too.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

The Light Car Patrols book recommended above arrived and it's superb! Lots of photos and information in the text. Well worth every penny. The second part is a set of memoirs and is riveting. Read it and be amazed at what they got up to...

I'm getting back to the bench so a proper update will follow .

Thanks @malpaso 

• Like 2