Avro Shackleton MR.2 Airfix 1/72

Hi,

A little mojo project I have had on the go for a few months.

Inspired by my ability to paint white that I discovered with my Valiant I decided to have a crack at this attractive scheme.

A lovely kit to build and am looking forward to the AEW.2 I have planned for the Maritime Group Build.

Built completely out of the box, using Humbrol Medium Sea Grey 165 aerosol, Halfords Appliance white over Citadel Corax white as a primer.

Eduard masks were used and the soot staining was achieved using eye shadow and a flitch brush which worked very well.

The kit is so well engineered that I painted the wings off the airplane and a little Tamiya extra thin over the wing spars held them in place once completed with no filling or sticking required around the wing to fuselage joint, this made masking a doddle!

Enjoy.

tn_e42f15e5-e73c-49b6-a9f3-462f2fa9e60a.

tn_c8656aa4-7fd5-4078-bdd5-76cd58d25826.

tn_d11fbc78-3e79-4b1b-9760-5432bc169acb.

tn_68d40ac2-6a82-4edf-a232-e80fe5c481d1.

tn_688b4d7a-1183-4011-852e-5cf9923fa576.

• Like 49

Very nice indeed. It's a real boon if you can paint fuselage and wings separately on these large models. I did it on a Lanc. 

I'm a bit surprised the grey didn't extend over the tops of the nacelles.

Thanks, I was surprised about the white nacelles too. 

I tried to keep the weathering restrained as in the pictures I found they are either immaculate or filthy. 

Looks fantastic.  A great paint finish.  I'm very interested to hear that you could paint the wings separately.  Looking forward to getting my teeth in to mine.  I only hope I can get it to look as good as yours.  I have the little matter if the Frog MR3 to finish first though!  Bought on ebay from a naughty man who neglected to tell me it was missing some parts so having to do a little scratch building (not my forte').  Anyway, a superb looking Shackleton. 

• Like 1

Yesterday I got a revell's Shackleton aew.2 as a birthday present. I've always dreamed about this model, impressive and great plane! You did it great!

I hope that my will be as good as yours, especially that I always paint with a brush. It will be a challenge!

Edited by Feelip90
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Very smart indeed, it always unnerves me a little to paint first then glue, it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen....but you pulled it of superbly.

The joint is so tight that it is a perfect fit.

The wing spars slip into grooves in the wings, so I painted a run of Tamiya Extra Thin on the wing spars but only on the outer half of them, so then if any glue transferred it would not touch the paint.  To be brutally honest in they were not glues they'd sit in place, but I wanted the security of a strong joint to prevent 'handling errors'.

• Like 1