Tiny Teutonic SEA STALLION

A quick and dirty Summer 'away-from-the-Internet' build, straight out of the box, with no frills and using the kit makings.

It's Revell-Germany's aged but nifty 1/144 CH-53G Sea Stallion, in the livery of the German Army's contingent to the NATO peacekeeping force in Kosovo in the early 2000's. This one had been sitting in the stash for years waiting to be turned into a USN RH-53 Minehunter...or maybe one of those wildly-colored Iranian Navy birds...but the seductive lure of the RAL colors finally won the day.

The build was pretty painless save for the unruly seams on engine pods and the aft fuselage. Camouflage scheme was taken directly from the drawings on the kit instruction sheet---which, kudos to Revell, was rendered in conveniently-precise 1/144 scale...the same as the kit. {I believe that's actually the first time I've ever experienced that). Colors are my own mixes of Tamiya acrylics, slightly lightened for scale effect. Revell's decal sheet was obsessively complete---with what seemed dozens of tiny stencils---but printed, as some of their older kit decals were, on a sort of 'leathery' decal stock that responded indifferently to setting solution and were highly prone to silvering. But, hey, what would life be without challenges, right?

Haven't given up on the conversion idea...someday...but it's good to see this small-scale lovely built. Hope you enjoy the shots.

44333228571_6f8bdf4a15_b.jpg

44333228291_3beb4c2ffa_b.jpg

44333228191_bc0796611f_b.jpg

44333228471_25b33241bc_b.jpg

43427973025_7ec6fc3eb3_b.jpg

44285331262_4d0b144db7_b.jpg

44333228001_ca7cf33a5c_b.jpg

• Like 37

10 hours ago, DennisTheBear said:

Oh, nice! If'n ya hadn'ta said it was 1/144 I would have said it was at least 1/72.

Great work!

DennisTheBear

Thanks. I had the same sense while cropping the photos. Except for the too-thick rotor blades, it's not a bad resemblance.

Cheers

Thank you, Gentlemen!

I've been quite taken with 1/144 'eggbeaters' in the past year or so...with a brace of the lovely Sweet Sea Kings and this one currently in my (tiny) hangar. I've got some Dragon Blackhawks I'll take on (as soon as I can remember which crate they're in...). And just last week I was looking at reviews of a Dragon entry I hadn't seen before...a slick little Chinese WZ-10 attack helicopter.

It's becoming a minor obsession....:blink:

2 hours ago, thorfinn said:

Thanks! It's about 5.5 inches long, nose-to tail...just over 7 inches long over rotor-tips.

(Excuse the poor cell-phone photo)

thanks!

so about 13-17 cm ;)

I have no clear idea about inches :D

• Haha 1