Redcoat revival

25 minutes ago, Britman said:

Thank you all very much for your kind comments and information.  This is a great little kit if you like the smaller scale. There are many things you can  do to add to this model but a line has to be drawn somewhere. The most important mod for me is the narrowing of the front set of wheels on the main undercarriage. Ray, what am I to do ? Another Brit that came to us at Manston for us to tinker with. I do have a BIG ask of 26 decals and that is All Cargo Airlines 5Y-AYR . My dad and I painted the real thing and I helped our sign writer paint the logos. I have been trying to replicate these in decal form , but I am in need of more practice!  I am converting a F-resin  Brit into a CL44D as it doesn't do it for me as a Britannia. Transvalair will ride again as will IAS! An AerTures Argosy lurks in the back of the hangar as well....

Keith.

How about African Safari or Air Spain? ;)

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

How about African Safari or Air Spain? ;)

I only saw them at Biggin Hill awaiting the chop , so would be way down the list. However , as is said , never say never!

Keith.

That looks terrific.  What a handsome beast.  I really like these lesser known airlines from the 60s/70s, especially those that flew the Britannia, Viscount, Vanguard, Trident, VC-10 and BAC 1-11.  A really nice scheme beautifully applied.  The kit looks great, as do the decals.  I have the F-Rsin kit in the stash with British Eagle markings.  A bit cheaper than the Roden kit which was my main reason for getting it instead.  Still, looks a nice kit though.  I hope it turns out as good as yours (but probably won't -  not because of the kit though, more my cackhandedness).

• Like 1

Ridge Runner You may be pleased to find African Safari is One of the Roden kit options

http://rodenkits.com/catalogue/RODEN-326-Bristol+175+Britannia+African+Safari

Air Spain was certainly one of the more colourful liveries worn by a Britannia.

I understand that the F resin kit only contains a 300 series fuselage with marks internally showing where it has to be cut to produce a 102. On the plus side, it has the different width tack on the main undercarriage wheels but lacks the distinctive horizontally tapered wing tips.

If you're reading this Ray at 26 another vote for 5Y-AYR decals, please! The Sole All cargo Brit was ex BUA and Lloyd its Cockpit survives with a private collector in the West Country.

• Like 1

I have the African Safari release, but I do not like the look of the decals. Maybe the fin marks will be OK but I do not like the look of the cheat lines. The F-RESIN Britannia looks a bit narrow around the nose and the cockpit a bit too narrow. If the Roden kit was not available then I would be happy to go with the F-RESIN kit bit with a bit of fettling.

Keith.

Sorry Keith but all ghis Britt talk got me thinking about what Britts I used to see at Gatwick .....

IAS, Donaldson, African International, Aer Turas, BUA (both schemes), Caledonian, RAF, Monarch .... and then my memory fades ;)

Martin

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Britman said:

Thank you all very much for your kind comments and information.  This is a great little kit if you like the smaller scale. There are many things you can  do to add to this model but a line has to be drawn somewhere. The most important mod for me is the narrowing of the front set of wheels on the main undercarriage. Ray, what am I to do ? Another Brit that came to us at Manston for us to tinker with. I do have a BIG ask of 26 decals and that is All Cargo Airlines 5Y-AYR . My dad and I painted the real thing and I helped our sign writer paint the logos. I have been trying to replicate these in decal form , but I am in need of more practice!  I am converting a F-resin  Brit into a CL44D as it doesn't do it for me as a Britannia. Transvalair will ride again as will IAS! An AerTures Argosy lurks in the back of the hangar as well....

Keith.

I have drawn the decal artwork for 5Y-AYR today and just need to get the instruction done so hope to have it released by the weekend :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 26Decals said:

I have drawn the decal artwork for 5Y-AYR today and just need to get the instruction done so hope to have it released by the weekend :)

What fantastic news! My order will be with you as soon as appropriate.

Keith.

On 8/29/2018 at 9:32 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Who with, mate?

Was with Ansett New Zealand. Guys name was Marty Reeves, originally a Kiwi, but spent years with the RAF, then Britannia Airlines, before returning to NZ on the mid 80s. 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:26 AM, RidgeRunner said:

I remember 5Y-AYR but not in that scheme

Me neither ...BUT... it was

https://www.airliners.net/photo/All-Cargo-Airlines/Bristol-175-Britannia-307F/2250916

And some belters ,white fin Redcoats ,CL-44 and  the catchy titled Eurafric Brit

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/operator/Redcoat Cargo Airlines xBOxRYxBCx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A lot photos of All Cargo's Britannia would suggest a sandy yellow colour. This would be wrong as the best way to go would be a satin hemp as in Nimrod /VC10. When it was painted this colour I think it was around  January or February, perishing cold hangar (not ideal ). It could have looked better but it looked fresh and tidy!  The demarcation between the hemp and lower natural metal finish was supposed to have had a one inch red line but the aircraft was required for service and time ran out. The door and emergency exit windows did get an inch red line however. I was left to create a new shaped demarcation on the forward fusalage and was pretty pleased with the result. I cannot wait to crack on with this project and I will make an effort to make this my first WIP! 😓

Keith. 

• Like 2

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 17:59, Britman said:

DSCF7093ith.

Top marks for the creative use of the hob - seriously though - NICE BUILD KEITH :goodjob: