Redcoat revival

This is my third Roden Britannia and will not be the last. Thanks to Ray at 26 decals many more will be possible . Given its scale of 1/144th , it is just the right size for a multiple collection.

DSCF7093

DSCF7092

DSCF7104

DSCF7103

DSCF7102

DSCF7100

DSCF7097

DSCF7096

Thanks for looking.

Keith.

• Like 41
  • Thanks 1

Nice looking Britannia. I'd been thinking of dong a Redcoat myself, but at my glacial building pace plus my backlog i'm not sure if i'll ever get there.

However, its remarkable to see how many of those Roden kits are getting built up!

-d-

Ah yes, nice :(. I remember them, based to the East of Gatwick. A lot of horse shipments I recall!

Martin

..... and I dont mean racehorses! 

A nice build :) :)

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Very nice build Britman.It really captures the character of the whispering giant. The attention to detail is outstanding.

I believe Redcoat still exists as a Cargo forwarding agent. Their HQ was at Worth Park on the Balcombe Road Horley. The  Operations base was Luton. Sadly 'BRAC was written off departing Boston in severe icing conditions In February 1981 en route to Shannon having departed Belize the day before. Only the Flight Engineer survived.

The replacement Brit was G-BHAU also ex RAF and did indeed sport a red tail from its previous operator Euroafric with the Redcoat logo in white.

Members of a certain age may remember the short-lived BBC TV serial "Buccaneer" which featured the Redcoats original aeroplane G-AOVS and G-BRAC with fictitious Redair titles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah yes, I remember. :)

many of my old colleagues worked at Redcoat, Tradewinds, Pelican, Ace Freighters and Scimitar. Those were the days! 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Very good, Love all these Brits appearing. Great job ..Well done again ,thanks for showing . Fancy the Failed order Brit in the US Carrier, Northeast Colours ? This one has a history and sad end....

G- BRAC was  the one that crashed due to icing probs in Boston 1980 . Had some ex RAF 99 & 511 Sqns (Brize ) crew on it. As was G- BRAC ex 99 & 511 Sqn's XL639 ,which I worked on , blinking bag tank changes ! It and another were regulars in to Brize for a time after being civilianised . 4 crew killed IIRC.

RIP

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Tradewinds, Pelican, Ace Freighters and Scimitar

I worked on all those companies kites except Ace . CL44s and 707s TW , a Pelican 707 and a Scimitar 707 at Lasham. The only Ace Freighters I can remember off hand are Connies and DC-? ( 4,6 or 7CF or maybe all 3 ! ) That was the 60s though.

1 hour ago, jyguy said:

Members of a certain age may remember the short-lived BBC TV serial "Buccaneer" which featured the Redcoats original aeroplane G-AOVS and G-BRAC with fictitious Redair titles

Remember it well . Good series ,very well done . I was after a box set but the prices were a bit heavy...I just saw you mentioned the Boston incident too.

6 hours ago, bzn20 said:

I worked on all those companies kites except Ace . CL44s and 707s TW , a Pelican 707 and a Scimitar 707 at Lasham. The only Ace Freighters I can remember off hand are Connies and DC-? ( 4,6 or 7CF or maybe all 3 ! ) That was the 60s though.

Yep, they are the ones. My old colleagues - some sadly now passed on - were pilots and from within flights ops. There was also, of course, IAS Cargo but i didn’t know anyone there. Gatwick was full of the sounds of Britts and CL44s in those days - Tradewinds, Transvalair, Canhellas, IAS, AER (argentina). There were also the very regular circuit bashing 99 and 511 sqn Britts. :)

Martin

• Like 1

Ace Freighters did operate at least One DC 4 in cargo configuration alongside the L749 Constellations. Like them, it was bare metal with grey undersides and an Orangy Red fin with the Ace of Spades logo on White.G-APEZ appeared at the 1966 Biggin Hill air fair in this livery.

The independent British DC 7 cargo operator was Transmeridian.

Sadly Five crew and Two passengers lost their lives in the Alpha Charlie accident.

The Roden kit is excellent in most respects. Getting a good finish on the Propellers where the spinner meets the backing plate is tricky for a plastic fixer of my limited ability and the aerials and pitot masts are a not as fine as they could be again it shows the skill put into the OP's model.

I know a vacform CL 44 kit is available but it would be nice to have an injection moulded example in 1/144 scale. Redcoat operated a sole example G-BRED just before flying operations ceased. Some of the Tradewinds 44's looked very scruffy in latter Years with faded paint and heavy staining making them a good subject for those who like their aircraft weathered.

I am very pleased to see decals for G-BHAU top marks to Ray at 26 decals. Any chance of a sheet for G-AOVS which had the slightly larger ATEL cargo door and the fin logo circled in Red and if not pushing it a "Redair" titles option?

• Like 1

The Britannia situation of the mid to late 1970s was very interesting with all sorts of small and "unusual" operators flying small fleets of ex=-RAF machines. Aer Turas operated two Britannias, one (EI-BAA started life with BOAC) and EI-BBH, which was ex-RAF. I intend to finish one Roden Brit as a EI-BBH at some point.

Redcoat was very typical of that era. There was also Belgian operator Young Aviation and odd ball Irish operators such as Interconnair and Eurafric.

Has anybody had a go at the F-RSIN Series 100 Britannia?

Edited by Eric Mc
Correction

What a lovely graceful looking aircraft the Britannia was. I used to fly with an ex-RAF chappie who had flown them. I can’t remember if he said they were a nice aircraft to fly, or if that was just my impression because I loved the look of them!

Mind you, we were flying the BAe146 at the time🙄😩

Magnificent model, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

You really can't go wrong with the Britannia it's such a beautiful and iconic aircraft.  The Roden kit can have its moments, mainly around the engines and props, but when it's as well built as yours the result is outstanding.

Dave G

Thank you all very much for your kind comments and information.  This is a great little kit if you like the smaller scale. There are many things you can  do to add to this model but a line has to be drawn somewhere. The most important mod for me is the narrowing of the front set of wheels on the main undercarriage. Ray, what am I to do ? Another Brit that came to us at Manston for us to tinker with. I do have a BIG ask of 26 decals and that is All Cargo Airlines 5Y-AYR . My dad and I painted the real thing and I helped our sign writer paint the logos. I have been trying to replicate these in decal form , but I am in need of more practice!  I am converting a F-resin  Brit into a CL44D as it doesn't do it for me as a Britannia. Transvalair will ride again as will IAS! An AerTures Argosy lurks in the back of the hangar as well....

Keith.

• Like 1

Sorry for the thread deviation, Keith! I visited Manston at the time the C-119 was there. There were lots of Britts and a 9Q- Cc-106.....  Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1