HMS Ark Royal 1977 1/700

This is looking seriously good, especially the PE masts.  I thought trying to do this sort of stuff in 1/600 was bad enough!

One of the most distinctive features of ARK were those extensions forward of the cats to the catch the bridle after launch.  I can see the waist cat one is in place.  I assume its a separate piece still to be added to the bow cat?

• Thanks 1

Peter’s casting is second to none, but even he’d struggle to get the bridle catcher cast in a single piece with the entire flight deck.  But yes, it’s there.  

The prospect of making not one but two 965 double bedsteads is not one I view with unalloyed pleasure!

• Thanks 1

Answer to the aircraft ,yes it will have then all,Phantoms Buccaneers,Gannets,Wessex and Sea Kings. I will go into more ,when I get to then.Just to say I will be using others makes, mainly so it will be a fuller flight deck.I asked Mike from Starling about  vehicles for carriers.Hopes to have something out in the future.

Taste of what,s to come

20180902_210113_zpsb7gtv7xt.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Peter’s casting is second to none, but even he’d struggle to get the bridle catcher cast in a single piece with the entire flight deck.  But yes, it’s there.  

The prospect of making not one but two 965 double bedsteads is not one I view with unalloyed pleasure!

From the beginning when making single or double bedsteads ,I cut the mesh screens in half and only use one,I find this makes less clutter and easy to make.So see were they should be bent in half ,that's were l cut it. 🤣

20180903_215114_zpslc8fxjvh.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Chris Hewitt said:

From the beginning when making single or double bedsteads ,I cut the mesh screens in half and only use one,I find this makes less clutter and easy to make.So see were they should be bent in half ,that's were l cut it. 🤣

20180903_215114_zpslc8fxjvh.jpg

Interesting insight into the etch Chris.

I discovered from Peter Hall/Mike McCabe this week that this etch can be purchased separately, so my order is in! All I need to do is resurrect the work I started on the old Fujimi Ark a few years back and create an Ark for the etch to fit!

Where did those F-4's come from?

Cheers

Terry

22 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Thanks Crisp.  On reflection it was a bit of a dull question really!

• Like 1

Hi Terry 

They are the Trumpeter 1/700 U.S.  F-4J Phantom II,item no 03423.not easy to find ,if you do, buy then.Should have said,have one of the P.E. sets and spares sets of decals,for ship and aircraft

Chris

Edited by Chris Hewitt
  • Thanks 1

On 9/5/2018 at 11:03 AM, Chris Hewitt said:

Hi Terry 

They are the Trumpeter 1/700 U.S.  F-4J Phantom II,item no 03423.not easy to find ,if you do, buy then.Should have said,have one of the P.E. sets and spares sets of decals,for ship and aircraft

Chris

Thanks Chris. My etch arrived from Starling Models so am happy now! Will watch your build with much interest. I may succumb to the Atlantic Models kit, in which case I would look at doing the Fujimi Ark as Eagle of same era. Currently reserching the difference between Eagle and Ark. A lot I know, but key is Hull is same basis it looks like.

Very ambitious plans I am sure you will all suggest!

Terry

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

There was a Fujimi Eagle too.  Just saying...

Yes, there is that. I'm assuming that both Fujimi Eagle and Ark releases were similar enough to build their respective modern refits, from either kit. And as I'm tempted by the Atlantic Ark, and I already have a Fujimi Ark partly started, I could switch that to become Eagle, without the need to purchase a third.

Nautical slight of hand, or madness on my part .....?

• Like 1

Well that's Ark nearly finished,she is screwed to the base,anyone who has the kit,will know how heavy the hull is,its heavy.😎 Just aerials to fit and gloss the base,then can move on to the aircraft.Anyone going to the Aberdeen model show next Saturday 15th September,will see Ark Royal.Might be aircraft ,will have to see,with work getting in the way.  

20180907_192132_zps0ufkqkzo.jpg

20180907_181232_zpsfu6w6nij.jpg

Edited by Chris Hewitt
  • Like 10

That's me started the airwing,I'm using Trumpeter Phantoms x8,Orangehobby Buccaneers x5,Gannets x3,stolen from HMS Victorious Orange hobby,you get 26 aircraft for this ship,probably too many for her,trouble is,you get plenty of Sea Vixens,but only 6 Buccaneers,so I will have to replace then,same with the Gannets,Seakings also from Orange hobby and L,Arsenal Wessex for the plane guard.I,m using these makes,because,their wings are already cut so easy for folding the parked versions and can get spares.Yes that's Vic in the background and updated so she fits the correct airwing she comes with.The model comes with decals when she was recommissioned in 1958 ,however the airwing is from the late 60's before she was decommissioned.Now with the spare  decals from  Ark Royal,I can restart "Vic" 

20180912_195706_zpsarjuvzc1.jpg

• Like 9

Brilliant stuff!! It’s really annoying that no company has thought to produce a proper IM kit of such an iconic ship in her final (and arguably most celebrated) configuration, whether 1/700 or 1/350 (Airfix... are you listening?) or even 1/200 (Go on Trumpeter... you know you want to...!)

• Thanks 1