HMS Ark Royal 1977 1/700

On 9/16/2018 at 12:55 PM, Nocoolname said:

Brilliant stuff!! It’s really annoying that no company has thought to produce a proper IM kit of such an iconic ship in her final (and arguably most celebrated) configuration, whether 1/700 or 1/350 (Airfix... are you listening?) or even 1/200 (Go on Trumpeter... you know you want to...!)

I'll take a Falklands Hermes first please :)

On 19/09/2018 at 18:17, Chris Hewitt said:

It's all about money. The U.S is the biggest market for model ships. Even Orange hobby have dropped R.N. ships and gone all American. The development costs are huge and if you guess wrong,only takes one kit,for the company to go under.

And that why it’s so f’ing hard to after market parts for post WW2 RN/ Commonwealth Navies in 1/700 in particular weapon and radar systems aka missile systems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Exkiwiforces said:

And that why it’s so f’ing hard to after market parts for post WW2 RN/ Commonwealth Navies in 1/700 in particular weapon and radar systems aka missile systems.

I was about to post asking if anyone knows where I might find some 1/700 Exocet Launcher Tubes to turn a Type 22 Batch 3 into a Batch 2. I guess this answers my question.

4 hours ago, Matthew Spence said:

I was about to post asking if anyone knows where I might find some 1/700 Exocet Launcher Tubes to turn a Type 22 Batch 3 into a Batch 2. I guess this answers my question.

If you try shapeways,they are 3D printers ,I have use then ,here is a link 

https://www.shapeways.com/product/RVMFMHJ2X/naval-weapons-set-1-fud?optionId=63162666&li=marketplace

https://www.shapeways.com/product/GBBAHAB2S/1-700-exocet-mm40-launchers?optionId=64873986&li=marketplace

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Really hard to do in this scale, Chris, but those Seakings are unmistakably Mk5s (or even 6s); the radar is much too fat.  A man of your calibre....

Stunning tail fold, though.

Never notice,will try to sand them round .

Thanks for the update.

• Like 1

It might even be easier to cut the radome off altogether and replace it with a piece of rod which you could sand round on top.  

I have every confidence you’ll come up with something - I’m probably atypical as an ex-Sea King driver, but my eye was immediately drawn to it, and your work work looks so great thus far that it would be a shame to have the “wrong” Sea King.

• Thanks 1

Those Sea Kings really look the part now Chris. I'm not sure if I am seeing the picture clearly, but they also appear to have later intake guards - the square block bit.  I'm not sure thats correct for HAS 1's on the old Ark, pre 1980?. Not not picking, just saying, and it may just be the picture quality.

Others will know better than me, but of you have the radome correct, might as well fix the intakes? I'm sure @Ex-FAAWAFU will be able to advise correctly?

Terry

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Back at last to ships ,my neighbour ask me to if  there was a kit of the Sunderland flying boat.After checking,there are 2 kits ,the old from Airfix and two versions from Italeri a Mk 1 And Mk 3.Not having eBay, I sourced a Italeri Mk3 version for him,Guess what was coming next,could I build it for him.Should have seen that coming.🤣 It's nearly finished,so back to Ark,for any aircraft fan,it's  an excellent kit to build.

20b28e31-e094-4fed-9f1a-04b525bcfe0b-ori

171ae9b3-a61e-4e4d-90eb-739424a2f68d-ori

Edited by Chris Hewitt
Grammar
  • Like 10