HMS Ark Royal 1977 1/700

I have wanted this ship ever since,my Dad serviced on her,and I went aboard her ,in the late 70's.I will not go into her history ,there is plenty of books and on the net.I will talk about the kit.Its not the same standard as Flyhawk or Orange hobby,but I don't care.I have added a lot of detail around the walk ways and added more detail to the bridge.All the boat decks are not wide enough and the ships boats are not correct. You will need two sets of decals ,the reason ,I will show when I down load the photo's.The photo etching is to the high stardard from Peter Hall.

hms-ark-royal-1978-_zpsxrac31ru.jpg

FB_IMG_1511030466589_zpsyuukquas.jpg

Ever since I received the kit I have been working on her.First had to add the stern deck.Interesting approach .

20180725_104511_zpst0mlprum.jpg

I have not added that much detail in the stern ,looked at my other carriers and realised it was not worth it.

20180725_102802_zpswols4wmw.jpg

Edited by Chris Hewitt
  • Like 8

I'll tag along here. This has to be up there amongst my all time favourite warships. You have made a great start.

Many years ago I started a conversion of this old girl............

20180405_223505

I got about this far around 10 years ago.

20180828_16454020180828_16461620180828_164631

I was considering resurrecting it last year, then the Atlantic Models kit came out 😖

Good luck with this build, its a great ship!

Terry

• Like 6

I have this in the stash - having given up on any realistic chance of anything in my normal scale, and as a big Atlantic Models fan, it was this or nothing.  So notebook in hand for tips from a master!

P.S. The most obvious issues out of the box are the need to fold most of the aircraft [which should be doable without too much trouble], and the need to scratch build a fair amount of stuff if it’s to look anything like busy enough on deck; tractors, cranes etc. Plus the cat walk / island detail like fuel & fire points [as you seem to have started on your island!].

But the basics are very good; adding detail is perfectly feasible, whereas building c.50,000 tons of complicated 50/60s carrier from scratch definitely edges into too difficult / not enough time territory for me!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now the deck marking's on Ark Royal ,this will be easy I said.How wrong was I ,over the 1970's Ark marking's were changed enough times to make then noticeable ,just small ones ,but I had to spot then.So I have for go when it was her last couple of years service.

The decals on,yes before I forgot,I mention that you will need two sheets,which can be bought separately,I have 2 ,for spares.

Notice the warning marking's for the launch pads  ,there is only one ,but you need two of then,I was very easily, able the cut the other one up and use ,for the one missing,Fixed.

Remember you are seeing last 3 wks work in  2 days.😎

97182d98-17f3-4894-a856-6f02ae55181a_zps

Half the decals on,too many straight lines for me,they went on with no real problems.

20180824_091536_zpsw5h9pczc.jpg

Deck complete.

20180824_101937_zps6cqpb19s.jpg

Back to the bridge and finish that first.

Edited by Chris Hewitt
  • Like 9

On 8/29/2018 at 8:49 PM, Chris Hewitt said:

Just found this one,my cat Angus looking and saying,there is a bit missing at the back.😸

20180702_100733_zpsowojnrqa.jpg

Bow cat, waist cat and Angus cat.  

Coming along nicely, Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

That Island superstructure looks very good Chris. Very impressed with the speed and the quality of this build. What is your plan for the air complement?

Cheers

Terry

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AMB said:

Now the big question - will it have 1/700 Phantoms, Buccaneers, Gannets and Sea Kings on it?  

and a Wessex plane guard, surely ...... ? 😁

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chris Hewitt said:

Resin kit produced by Atlantic models sold by Starling Models.

I heard this kit was coming. Surprised about the faults you mentioned so far and problems with decals. Also surprised that all the deck vehicles aren't included! I have Orange Hobby HMS Ocean and really impressed, was hoping this kit would be to same standard.

• Like 1

I agree ,but even with its faults,I'm very glad it's out.Its good to have a kit that's not perfect,we are spoilt with Orange hobby and Flyhawk,not I'm complaining.  This was to be brought out by the original White Ensign models company UK,before it went under and was spilt up between Tom model works, Atlantic Models and Starling Models.l have seen the latest kits produced by Starling and they are on the same level as Flyhawk and Orange hobby. 

Edited by Chris Hewitt
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Chris Hewitt said:

Bridge is getting close to finishing.Also a real long shot, does anyone have the original set from White Ensign deck vehicles for carriers for sale. Thanks

20180831_202927_zpsxyo2lwza.jpg

I didn’t even know there ever WAS a 1/700 WEM deck vehicles set! But I can’t find any sign of it online.

I suspect I’ll be taking measurements from my 1/350 tractors, scratch building one and cadting some copies; from some of the pictures I’ve seen she carried quite a few, and they were yellow in those days so pretty obvious.

Not yet.  Must resist.  Dido to finish yet.  [Not to mention Brinton & Ark V]

• Like 1