Moon Base Interceptor From "UFO"

This is my studio scale Interceptor from Gerry Anderson's UFO.

It is a "garage kit" from Studio 2 Models.

I did start a WIP thread, but after I got it painted & decalled, my matt varnish yellowed the paint, so I sanded it all back, and started again.

I used Tamiya's acrylic satin white, and their satin varnish.

The decals are from JBot.

For the panel lines I used a pencil to mark them on the model, as on the original.

I got a local engineering firm to turn the undercarriage legs in aluminium, and built the rest of the skids and supports from aluminium sheet and tubing.

IMG_0486_1.jpg

IMG_0487_1.jpg

IMG_0488_1.jpg

IMG_0489_1.jpg

IMG_0490_1.jpg

IMG_0491_1.jpg

IMG_0492_1.jpg

IMG_0493_1.jpg

IMG_0495_1.jpg

IMG_0497_1.jpg

IMG_0499_1.jpg

IMG_0500_1.jpg

Thanks for looking :)
Angelo

• Like 37

40 minutes ago, HL-10 said:

Thanks, the figure is about 1/16th(ish)  :)

It must be over 2ft long with the missile then - mahoosive :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John_W said:

I would settle for Gabrielle Drake...

Now Gentlemen, John, Pete, Angelo, you just form an orderly Que, please. It may be slightly unsettling to the younger members........

STOP  :Tasty:  at the back....I can SEE you Pete.......

I mean, Dermot has had to use Google.......:drunk:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I had the die-cast one of these when I was a kid. I could be totally wrong, but I seem to remember it was green. (I could be thinking of the tracked 'van' type thing with the flip-over missile launcher in the roof.)

So, I suspect your white one is correct. And what a superb job you've done. I love it. I want it!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Badder said:

I had the die-cast one of these when I was a kid. I could be totally wrong, but I seem to remember it was green. (I could be thinking of the tracked 'van' type thing with the flip-over missile launcher in the roof.)

So, I suspect your white one is correct. And what a superb job you've done. I love it. I want it!

Rearguards,

Badder

It was green. Dinky had a bad habit of producing models in non prototype colours. The Eagle Transporter was also green, and Thunderbird 2 was purple.

brilliantly built model of one of the most iconic british TV series sci-fi vehicles - your model really does look superb

Any chance that it might be on show at any of the UK IPMS shows around the country soon as I would love to see it in the resin so to speak

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gimme Shelter said:

Any chance that it might be on show at any of the UK IPMS shows around the country soon as I would love to see it in the resin so to speak

The only show I plan to take it to will be Modelkraft 2019

:)

On 8/31/2018 at 12:53 PM, John_W said:

It was green. Dinky had a bad habit of producing models in non prototype colours. The Eagle Transporter was also green, and Thunderbird 2 was purple.

Purple? Never heard or saw that one. The original TB2 was a slightly bluish shade of olive -- so not too far from the correct colour -- and later there was the metallic blue version, but I never ran across the purple one. Wouldn't put it past them, though...

UFO was particularly badly off that way. The Interceptor was indeed green -- a bright metallic colour -- with orange details like landing gear, and a white missile with a red soft plastic nose. Later versions had the missile yellow and black instead. Straker's car was bright metallic gold instead of whatever it was on screen (light grey?) and the mobile was a gloss army green -- that is, much the same shade that a lot of military vehicle from the same company used to get painted.

Regardless, your model is excellent, and I'd love to see more of it -- for instance, shots of the underside and close-ups of the cockpit?

• Like 1

Love it, my favourite Gerry Anderson series. Building a Studio 2 kit is an engineering task not just a model making so hats off to you for making such an excellent job of it :) I'm sticking to the Bandai kit myself, got no room for a studio scale Interceptor although I still have the Kits for Cash SHADO Mobile to finish one of these days!

Superb!

• Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 10:06 PM, Tarkas said:

shots of the underside and close-ups of the cockpit?

Hi Tarkas,

Sorry for the delay responding.

Here is a picture of the supplied instrument panel which I detailed with spare Aircale decals:

panel.jpg

The rest of the cockpit was scratch built as the one provided was too small:

IMG_0450.jpg

As for the underside, I haven't actually taken a picture of the fineshed belly.

This is a WIP shot, showing the VTOL engine exhaust I added:

IMG_0448.jpg

These are photos of the studio model, including a belly shot, hope it's helpful.

UFO_interceptor2.jpg

Thank you all once again, for you comments and compliments.

Angelo :)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

VERY nice... And the decals look spot on. Did you have to source them separately or did they come with the kit? I confess I was surprised to hear they were from JBOT - is Jimbo back in business then? I ordered some from him a few years ago and they took an age to eventually appear (I'd written them off).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Galligraphics said:

VERY nice... And the decals look spot on. Did you have to source them separately or did they come with the kit? I confess I was surprised to hear they were from JBOT - is Jimbo back in business then? I ordered some from him a few years ago and they took an age to eventually appear (I'd written them off).

Jim is still about, in a reduced capacity due to illness. I received my decals only a few weeks after ordering them.

You get decals with the kit, but though the actual stencils are nicely done, some of the colours are off, especially the "RESCUE" on the starboard side..