Hasegawa 1/48 F-15C

Schweinebacke

Yes you can. it's pretty much the same plastic in the C and A boxings. Check your references for whether or not the exhausts have the turkey feathers or not.

The Avionics bay behind the cockpit is a different colour on the A and the C.

Lots of F-15 info here 

http://www.zone-five.net/showpost.php?p=211174&postcount=13

The A originally had different wheel hubs that may usually be identified by their dark metallic colored. The later C style with 8 „holes“ is almost invariably white. Not quite sure, but I think they were also fitted to late A‘s and/or retrofitted.

Also, I seem to recall that there were subtle differences in appearance of the fin tip pods and stuff on the fin trailing edges.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:31 AM, Stephen said:

The Avionics bay behind the cockpit is a different colour on the A and the C.

The dividing line between metallic green and gloss white was Fiscal Year, not model.  FY79 and older jets (which included the first two years of C model production) had the green Bay 5, FY 80 and later were painted gloss white. 

9 hours ago, tempestfan said:

The A originally had different wheel hubs that may usually be identified by their dark metallic colored. The later C style with 8 „holes“ is almost invariably white. Not quite sure, but I think they were also fitted to late A‘s and/or retrofitted.

Also, I seem to recall that there were subtle differences in appearance of the fin tip pods and stuff on the fin trailing edges.

The C model wheels were eventually fitted to A models.  The major original differences between the A and C models were the wheels, ejection seat (the A originally had the ESCAPAC), and the lack of certain equipment (the big "black boxes") in Bay 5, which also meant a difference in the external antennas.  The turkey feathers were originally on both variants but were removed from the fleet in the late 70s, because the Air Force got tired of filing "Dropped Object" reports.

Regards,

Murph

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2018 at 5:21 PM, Murph said:

The dividing line between metallic green and gloss white was Fiscal Year, not model.  FY79 and older jets (which included the first two years of C model production) had the green Bay 5, FY 80 and later were painted gloss white.

Just to add to this, but it is my understanding that many (most?) pre-FY80 aircraft had their avionics bays painted white after undergoing maintenance. So it would be somewhat inaccurate to paint a modern F-15A with the original green-blue color.

Edited by Phantome

On 9/11/2018 at 6:36 PM, Phantome said:

Just to add to this, but it is my understanding that many (most?) pre-FY80 aircraft had their avionics bays painted white after undergoing maintenance. So it would be somewhat inaccurate to paint a modern F-15A with the original green-blue color.

The amount of work to repaint Bay 5 would have been enormous; it would have meant removing quite a bit of electronics and plumbing.  A very few jets had Bay 5 repainted in various colors including Gunship Gray, but the vast majority of them remained in original metallic green or gloss white.  This is an e-mail from a friend who was flying MSIP C models at Kadena at the time (FY 78 and FY 79 jets):

I took a look at 6 of the jets out on the line today and they all pretty much have the light green interior aluminum coloring to them.  The bottom of the Bay is a lighter almost yellow color.  Of course, the whole thing is extremely worn and some of them vary.  If you need Mil spec colors let me know, I'll talk to the paint shop guys.

The lighter color on the floor was probably primer showing through where the metallic green had worn away.  Additionally Ken Middleton has posted quite a few pictures of MSIP A models over at ARC, and their Bay 5s remained in metallic green.  The few exceptions that I know of were down at Tyndall at the FTU; that includes the dark gray Bay 5.  The bottom line is that unless you have confirmation of a repaint I would stick with the original colors.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph