+++++ Supermarine Scimitar F1 +++++ Finished

Undersurfaces masked and a first coat of Extra Dark Sea Grey on. Has revealed some seams and flaws that need tidied and filled. 

resized_f87beadc-6cfe-468e-b54a-b1528a3d

Now looks like this  

resized_45a09801-1fbe-458e-856d-d4e0998b

Unfortunately, I have a busy day today so won't get any more work done. On the positive side it does finish with a beer festival.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Col. said:

That final round of seam filling will see you right and fully on to the painting stage I'm sure. 

I'm hoping that's the last use of the sandpaper. 

3 hours ago, Learstang said:

Keep it up, 825! I want to see what my Scimitar should look like.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Hans. I think yours is excellent. And I get close I'll be doing OK. 

• Like 1

I wasn't happy with the EDSG paint I was using. It was near the bottom of the pot and it was a bit lumpy and varied a little in shade each time used despite thorough mixing. So I opened a new one, diluted it somewhat with Flow Improver and went two thin coats. And here we are. 

resized_5b717c6e-7510-4822-bd84-b6b8bdb4

Another coat coat is needed and hopefully the masking can come off. 

• Like 3

Paint on and masking tape off. A little touching up needed but took minimal time with a scalpel blade and fine brush. 

resized_477db693-5e73-4fb7-b845-4814e471

Undersides, and stores ready for transfers. The Citadel White glossed up with Kleer does give a good finish, which is also pretty resilient. You just have to be patient building up the layers. 

resized_bd227554-c621-4d83-8f4b-95451730

The ijet pipe area has been masked off and painted In metallic shade; Akan's Dull Steel. The canopy is masked and I'll add it next before sorting out the transfers. I note that Hans found them a bit challenging at times so I hope I'm luckier

• Like 6

Canopy masked and fitted, and a coat of black for the interior frame. Also got some transfers on. Not the easiest to use as Hans has pointed out, and I did lose an 'X' on one of he underside serials. Saved the day with one from the other option. 

resized_b26fd0a8-59dd-4425-957c-7a295c25

I used a really hot water and they came off the backing paper easy. I used some Microset on the surface to go onto and generous amounts of water to persuade them to end up where they should. Some Micro Sol on top and I've left them aside

resized_9da9ffce-a134-4322-83d6-18970259

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Very nice! I always believe a model truly comes to life when you apply the decals.

Regards,

Jason

Simply going to echo Jason's comment as he's put down my own thoughts exactly :thumbsup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Learstang said:

Very nice! I always believe a model truly comes to life when you apply the decals.

Regards,

Jason

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Simply going to echo Jason's comment as he's put down my own thoughts exactly :thumbsup:

I agree, although the airframe is identifiable as that aircraft, it's only when the markings go on that it takes on its own character and identity. 

• Like 2

Nearly all the transfers on. They are mega thin and a bit fragile so one has to be careful and it's a slow job. The up side is the register is good and they cover well. Hopefully over the Gloss coats they won't silver. As you can see I'm working on the tanks and the buddy pod as I go along. 

resized_0403f0fe-2224-4fbf-9630-c8424911

I took this photo photo to show the nice coverage.  And there on the starboard intake there's missing paint. Argh!  Never mind there's a little bit of touching up needed here and there. This will be one of them. 

resized_98398a2c-fcf1-424c-9634-62347bb2

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Col. said:

You're making good progress on this one. Those touch-up must bring you close to final assembly?

Getting very close. All the touching up is done, while nearly all the transfers are on. I'm hopeful of an early finish but life becomes complicated from next week. We go up to Scotland fo my niece's wedding then two days back then off to France to see some rugby. So unless I finish this weekend there will be a short delay. Let's hope the modelling gods are kind. 

• Like 2

Transfers all on. 

resized_e3af35d7-8bc0-4d6c-90b1-a69d2d6d

Undercarriage commenced. This took quite a while as each piece had a fair amount of ragged flash on them which needed careful removing. 

resized_bd7a5414-8bde-4dae-8534-adac9a0c

I'll leave it overnight to firm up before touching up the paint and adding the doors and wheels. I'll also have to look at a bundle of photos to check out what pylon the buddy pod is on. I thought it would be the starboard outer, but I've seen some pictures with it on the inner pylon. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Starboard inner seems to be the standard fit.

15 hours ago, Learstang said:

The inner pylon would make more sense as something that heavy I would think you'd want closer to the centre-of-gravity.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks gents, starboard inner it will be. I'm still pondering the best way to affix them as there are no locations and much ot the pylon is over a transfer. I might use Gator Grip which is good and solid onto almost everything as I fear cyanoacrylate might damage the transfers. 

13 hours ago, exdraken said:

great decal work!

tanks also turned out very nice!!

Thanks, they were thin and a couple were a bit of a pain but I got there in the end. They do look nice on. 

• Like 1

Getting the undercart on was more challenging than expected. The parts all needed cleaned up, the main legs didn't quite fit into the holes and needed drilling out. Then one of the main undercarriage legs needed the axle extended. The nose wheel supports needed seriously thinned down to get the wheel to fit in. I needed to make an axle for the nose wheel. Then one of the email undercarriage legs fell off when I was putting the door on. We are here now and there is a bit of touching up needed. I might put on a smear of cyano just to solidify it all up 

resized_e8b8ce92-844f-460c-ad42-aeb8bdf9

resized_1e4a60e6-8824-47bd-99a0-3be3702b

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Now standing on its own 3 legs. The canopy and pitot added (still to be painted). I've been away a lot over the last couple of weeks so it's been sitting like this for nearly a fortnight. Just the tanks/buddy pod, the inflight refuelling probe and a couple of aerials to go. I'm a little reticent to dive into affixing the tanks as there are no location points. I need to carefully look at my resources

resized_ea77a367-41fa-41ab-97c3-b92b985a

resized_34336986-bf78-41d0-a547-a906b311

• Like 5

A few more bits on, there will be a need for a little touching up where the TET has wrinkled the paint. And obviously the unpainted parts. I've replaced the blade aerials in the kit with slices of plastic strip. The ones in the kit were like wedges of Cheddar cheese and I didn't have the patience or gumption to spend an hour thinning them down. And probably losing at least one to the carpet monster.  

resized_e2c11418-e921-4682-b96f-cade91be

Just one undercart door and the tanks to go on. 

• Like 6

I've just realised looking at the plans and pictures in my Warpaint book the rear aerial is a lot further back, rather than where the kit instructions suggest. I'll detach and reattach in the right place.